Sign in to follow this  

Air Filter Access

Honda engineers should have taken notes from the XR400.  Large air box with simple strap access,  instead of that wingnut/bolt thing.

Just spent 30 minutes changing my air filter!  Removed the seat, but the battery was in the way, so that didn't help.

I suppose removing the battery would help, but come on!  What a pain.

Ease of maintenance was not the primary goal in designing the bike<g>.

You'll find the air filter easy to remove if you:

1. rotate it clockwise in the box until the straight edge of the filter on the back side is parallel to the bottom of the air box.

2. At the same time, move the far edge of the filter (the side deepest in the box) slightly to the right.

You'll find that it comes right out like that.

Putting it in is the reverse.  Note the "tab" on the foam of the filter in approx 10 O'clock position if your holding the filter with the long straight edge down.   This needs to line up with the arrow on the box when your rotating it counter-clock wise when putting it back in.

Jim.

• Like 1

I bought a loud mouth air filter kit after tearing two filters. However it's still in its box because I figured out the combination and havnt had a problem since. You'll get it.

I installed the loud mouth on mine and it did make changes easier but to be honest the stocker isn't difficult either. I think I just like spending money on my bike and installing stuff.

I installed the loud mouth on mine and it did make changes easier but to be honest the stocker isn't difficult either. I think I just like spending money on my bike and installing stuff.

Guilty!!!

First one was probably 40 minutes. I bought an aftermarket screw instead of the stock wing nut one. They go much easier now. 5 minutes now.

First one was probably 40 minutes. I bought an aftermarket screw instead of the stock wing nut one. They go much easier now. 5 minutes now.

I once took 60 minutes to get the filter in my old 250X. Aftermarket filter screw helped immensely, made it a two minute job.

• Like 1

I once took 60 minutes to get the filter in my old 250X. Aftermarket filter screw helped immensely, made it a two minute job.

Mine takes 3 minutes longer because I am always looking for where the hell I put the aftermarket filter screw...