Sign in to follow this  

Please Help Z400 Fuel Screw

Well, after cleaning the carb to my 03' z400 I figured it would be a good idea to set the fuel screw to the stock 2 1/2 turns, WRONG! All the bike does now is start and idle very high while popping. I've tried messing with the screw but nothing changes, and the idle screw changes nothing now. What the hell did I do?

I was cleaning the carb on my 450 and decided to reset the fuel screw to the stock postition, 2 1/4 turns out. Well after doing so my bike barely runs. It is running so lean that it shoots blue flames from the exhaust, idles at like 4k, has red hot header, and doesn't respond to any idle speed adjustments.

I'm thinking theres an air leak, however the carb boots are on securely. So I was thinking maybe the fuel screw itself is letting air in? Maybe it's not seating properly or something?

I've played with the choke, throttle cables, cleaned jets and all passages. I'm rlly stumped guys, any advice would rlly be appreciated.

P.S the bike was running great before I touched the fuel screw, that's the only thing that had been changed when the problem occured

you shouldnt of &%$#@!ed with it, DONT FIX SOMETHING THAT ISNT BROKE.

check the slide

Exactly, but It was running a bit lean so I was just trying to richen it up a little bit. I should of just turned it out 1/4-1/2 turn from where it was at.

Anyway, the carb itself is assembled correctly. I've rebuilt a dozen carbs but I just can't seem to find whats wrong with the damn thing.

I just popped in to check on this thread.  I re-read each reply just to oraginize the info again, when I realized the first 2 post list 2 different bikes and I never caught it. 

I made mention about the carb slide may be installed reversed, but that was if it was a Honda, but I'm not sure where I got the info it was a Honda.  That being said, I hope I didn't mislead the OP with wrong info.

Any luck OP?