Sign in to follow this  

88xr200 seized and unseized help please

I have a mint 88 xr200r today was riding about 15 min when my tire locked up and it died I couldnt restart it cause the kickstart was locked up so I started pushing it home after about 5 min of pushing I tried again the kickstart slowly loosened up and it started so I took off after about 300 yards hapened again so i pushed it for a while and let it cool in the shade and was able to start it again and make it home both times when I got the kickstart turning it was making a metal on metal squeaking noise till it loosend up and started I cant afford a manual till next week anybody know what this might be or where to start please and thank you

I haven't suffered those symptoms but a common seizure mode are the cam bearings from lack of oil supply. Piston seizure can also occur from lean mixture (overheating) and/or lack of oil.

First thing I would do is check the oil level, next drain the oil and check it for debris.

Pull the screen filter and check it for debris and plugging.  

Pull the right side cover and check/clean the centrifugal filter. You may need some new screws and a gasket to re assemble the filter.

You can also pull the engine from the frame in prep for getting the manual, it comes out the right side.

I haven't suffered those symptoms but a common seizure mode are the cam bearings from lack of oil supply. Piston seizure can also occur from lean mixture (overheating) and/or lack of oil.

First thing I would do is check the oil level, next drain the oil and check it for debris.

Pull the screen filter and check it for debris and plugging.  

Pull the right side cover and check/clean the centrifugal filter. You may need some new screws and a gasket to re assemble the filter.

You can also pull the engine from the frame in prep for getting the manual, it comes out the right side.

Chuck,            How many "4-stroke" Honda's ( especially 200's)  have you "ever actually seen" have piston seizure from overheating due to a lean mixture.....?  Severe runnability problems would occur long before you got to this point............if you could keep it running at all.  I've seen singles and multi cylinder engines get so hot the oil turns dark and gets a strong burnt smell to it with no piston seizures, or visible damage at all in fact.  I remember talking with Powroll about this 30+ years ago with my 79 CB750F, and they said they encountered this often on grueling smoking hot dyno runs on engines..........with no visible damage.  Mixture related seizures in these engines are as rare as hens teeth...............mixture related seizures are 2-stroke territory!  If mr.p's engine does in fact have a piston seizure problem, it's not caused by a mixture problem.............lack of lubrication is the culprit!  

Actually, reading the original post, and not being to able to do a hands on inspection, I wonder if by chance the problem could even be in the trans/ starter gears........or it could still be top end.  :thinking:

Old School Al

Edited by Old School Al

I havent had a chance to get my hands dirty yet but I do know im using a homade air filter and am having issues getting my carb tuned my air filter is on its way so basically what im saying is it prob is running very lean so ill trust ur opinion that it might have played a roll cuz it was running hot..by the way just to clear the air I know I shouldnt have been riding it but I hadnt gotten a chance to take it out at that point just started and let it run and it ran good so I took to the wind I have another bike with a atc200x motor on it...worst case senario could I put the atc motor on my xr frrame and use the xr exhaust

By the way this was a grannies bike has very low miles still sporting original tires the motor has very little use on it but has sat for a years so could very possibly have a blockage in the oil

There are a couple of metering orifices in the oil system that can become plugged; one leads to the right rear cylinder stud and provides oil to the valve system, the other meters oil to the tranny.  So two possible obstructions there, also the centriful filter could  become clogged although I've never seen one with enough junk to do that.  Here is a link to some diagrams of the oil system, taken from a Honda Service manual:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/909974-96-xr200-lubrication/#entry9484285