Weird vibration since I got new tires..

SO I got some Avons for the SM and ever since then..I feel a weird rotational vibration or ocolation through the bars.  Better yet...if I look down I can see the wheel moving slightly side to side. I have neither of these problems prior to getting new tires. I brought the bike two times and had them ride it..they all came back saying it felt fine. I brought it back again..this time had the front wheel in the air and spun it..one of the mechanics walking by says "ah that looks bent". I leave it there so they can look at it. A week goes by and he say the wheel was a little out of wack but they straightened  within 2 hundred thousands...I ride the bike down the street real fast and felt ok. I went back and said I would take it home...once I got to about 40 MPH I can feel it..and then I look at the front..I can see movement in the wheel. At this point I have kinda lost faith in their judgement, being I cant put the tire in the far and fix a zip tie to the fork and see there is a movement. 

How much movement should there be? I will try and snap  video..it is very mild but I feel ti at speed

The bike is a fairly 09 SM with a little over 5K on the clocks. I dont really ride it hard or go offroad. I kinda just use it for getting around town

There should be no perceptible looseness in the wheel bearings.  Runout on the rim can be as much as 2mm radial and lateral.    That can often be improved to about 0.5mm runout with spoke adjustment. Runout on the tire should be about the same as the rim. I'm not so sure you would feel runout as a vibration.  The frequency of wheel rotation is slow as compared to what is felt as a vibration.

Check tire pressure front and rear.  Rear can be felt in the front.

Some tires just feel different than others.  If you swap to a different tire and the vibration goes away, you know it is the tire(s)

There should be no perceptible looseness in the wheel bearings.  Runout on the rim can be as much as 2mm radial and lateral.    That can often be improved to about 0.5mm runout with spoke adjustment. Runout on the tire should be about the same as the rim. I'm not so sure you would feel runout as a vibration.  The frequency of wheel rotation is slow as compared to what is felt as a vibration.

Check tire pressure front and rear.  Rear can be felt in the front.

Some tires just feel different than others.  If you swap to a different tire and the vibration goes away, you know it is the tire(s)

I have already checked the rear. And as stated..the oscillation is felt in reference to wheel rotation. I increase speed..I feel movement speeds up in coordination with the wheel rotation. WHen I get real fast it feels like a borderline wobble.

True up the wheel and try it again.  Look for a bent brake disc too.

True up the wheel and try it again.  Look for a bent brake disc too.

Thats what I just pick it from them doing. And the brake rotor seems on. I am wondering if it is just in the tire..maybe throw another one on there

Well upon closer inspection I found 4 small bends on the rotor side of the wheel. This would also be the side that faces up for wheel instillation.  I will try to get some pictures...but they are hard to see and it is black.

2013-09-20_19-06-39_523_zps08702fe5.jpg

2013-09-20_19-07-23_254_zps430cf905.jpg

2013-09-20_19-07-47_538_zps50786193.jpg

Edited by KlownPunch

I guess I'm not seeing it.  Could you circle the place to look?  Where in WA are you?

LOcated in Spokane

First pic look at the sticker..now inboard just to the right of it. Second pic, look inboard of the X on the sticker.  There are a few other spots on the same tor side of the wheel.  I dont recall seen these before and it seems consistent IMO with not properly holding the tire up against the valley of the rim, while the machine pulls the rubber over the lip.  I know this cause I watched him fight to put the tire  on. I had no idea this would have been the result.

Edited by KlownPunch

I don't know what to tell you.  17" tires on drop center rims mount pretty easily.  I do it by hand all the time.  It is not that hard.  A tire mounting machine should do it easily.  I can't imagine the dents in the rim are having any affect.  Maybe if I saw it in person I would think differently.  Is the tire fully seated on the rim?  Look at the line on the tire. Should be even all around.

The tire can be broken down and rotated 90 deg or 180 deg or some amount, re-inflateed and re-balanced.  Might make a difference.

A machine could possibly damage the tire bead.  Tear the rubber or even break the wire inforcements. If so, it is very dangerous.

Describe the tire mounting machine.  How does it mount the tire?  Rotate the wheel against a stationary post?

I don't know what to tell you.  17" tires on drop center rims mount pretty easily.  I do it by hand all the time.  It is not that hard.  A tire mounting machine should do it easily.  I can't imagine the dents in the rim are having any affect.  Maybe if I saw it in person I would think differently.  Is the tire fully seated on the rim?  Look at the line on the tire. Should be even all around.

The tire can be broken down and rotated 90 deg or 180 deg or some amount, re-inflateed and re-balanced.  Might make a difference.

A machine could possibly damage the tire bead.  Tear the rubber or even break the wire inforcements. If so, it is very dangerous.

Describe the tire mounting machine.  How does it mount the tire?  Rotate the wheel against a stationary post?

It makes perfect sense to me , being that is some of the area the tire sits on. And yes, we did try to re-clock the tire...with the same results. The machine they use rotates the tire...when we were there watching..we noticed he had trouble with about the last 6 inches. Even then it seemed stretched and lots of tension seemed to be placed on the wheel...not my first time seen it...and I have operated machines before myself. At this point here is what I know..

I got tires and have felt a odd vibration since. I have returned 4 times now and told everything was fine every time...not counting the time I had to go back cause the front was installed the wrong direction.  And now I also see small bends in the rim, that clearly where not there before. . I can see it moving side to side while riding.  .. kinda at a loss. Guess thats just the way the rim is supposed to be..... I got other bikes in the stable...but just the DRZ has this flaw on the front rim only.

Edited by KlownPunch

It looks like the tire didn't bead properly.if you have taken it back 4 times and they can't see it I would go somewhere else and get a sec opinion.

It looks like the tire didn't bead properly.if you have taken it back 4 times and they can't see it I would go somewhere else and get a sec opinion.

The tire has been dismounted a few times....it is obviously beaded or it would create a larger issue

The tire has been dismounted a few times....it is obviously beaded or it would create a larger issue

maybe it's just the way the pic is but it sure looks like the bead didn't seat properly.ive mounted lots of drz sm wheels and sometimes you really have to put in a lot of pressure to get the bead to come up the rim because of the tube

KlownPunch ,

There is usually a moulding on the bead , that you can look at and it will indicate whether the bead is mounted on the rim correctly . If that moulding isnt at the same level all the way around , then the bead still isnt seated properly . If you are not aware of the rotational direction of a wheel , then it can be easy to mount up a tyre the wrong way , but this is something the fitter should check first . Tyres seem to be very tough , but the more you stretch them during repeated fittings , the more they will deform . Your tyre may have been wrecked by the abuse it received during the fitting . Also I would hazard a guess as to where the irregularities in the rim came from and say that the fitting machines wheel clamp is exerting too much force on the rim because of his struggling to fit the tyre and it has bent the rim in the clamps . The excel rim looks tough , but it is only rolled alloy and cant really take much pressure . If I was you I would start making some noise about fixing what they have done , greg 

SO a fat update...I had a friend swap the tire with a road tire she had. I mounted it to the bike and the vibration and shake is gone. I have no idea how those bends got there...but my friend did not wrestle or fight to get it on , like the mechanic did. Maybe he damaged the tire installing it...cause when he put it on..there was a ton more tension and he was really fighting with it as opposed to when my friend did.  And yes she was able to confirm it was seated before she removed it.

Did you check the inside of the tire where the warping was? If the mech is using a tire machine and he struggled to get the last bit on then he very well of damaged the inside if the tire where it was forced over the bead.

Did you check the inside of the tire where the warping was? If the mech is using a tire machine and he struggled to get the last bit on then he very well of damaged the inside if the tire where it was forced over the bead.

Yes ..and you can see dimples from the inside as well....but as stated..this would not be from a tool but from forcing the wheel out of round. Imagine you had a rubber band and tried to force it into a smaller diameter with even pressure at all sides. It leaves no place for it to go but to fold in on itself