Sign in to follow this  

2009 CRF feels like the 10', 11', and 13' with two mods!

Just wanted to share this (maybe its been shared before) but I bought a 2009 crf450r with about 10 hours total on it a few months ago.

I got it very cheap

It was seriously hard to start (everything was in spec I checked and I read all the threads on it)

the low end was too much (like all 09' crf450's)

and like most 09' owners I was about to sell it.... until I did two things:

1. sent the ECM to Eddie Sisneros (his remap tamed the beast!)- $70 ($50 plus $20 for overnight shipping)

2. put on the G2 throttle tamer with the 400 cam ( $50)

All I can say is WOW, I have close friends that own the 10', 11', and the 13' crf450r and they have all rode my 09' and despite very minor evaluations they all say it feels like theirs.  I also have switched out and rode their bikes as well and it does feel the same (naturally there will still be minor differences)

I bought this 09 off my buddy who bought the 13 and after he rode it again slapped me on the arm and said, "If I would have known that was all it took I would never have sold it..."

Just a bit of positive news to brighten your day, so go out there and buy a cheap 09 and do those to mods and save yourself a few grand!

Note: The bike takes about thee full kicks to start cold and after eddie's ecm remap the hot starts are super easy as well :)

Edited by tdaddy792

Are you saying that a remap and a slow-turn throttle make a 2009 chassis act and behave like a 2013 chassis?

• Like 1

i thought the hot setup for these things was to get the ride engineering linkages or just take one off of a newer 10-12' bike as well?

The 09-12 benefit greatly from a revalve.   Had an 09 with MDK revalve & stiffer springs for a 200# rider with the stock linkage / stock 20mm clamps.  The bike worked really well & didn't exhibit any ill manners you read about on this site.   It was balanced really good & tracked exceptional in the turns.   I purposely pushed the bike in some rough sections / whoops & the rear worked as it's suppose to.  It stayed planted & soaked up the terrain with ease & handled like a well suspended bike should. 

The key is having someone who has done some R&D work tuning the suspension do it.

On the flip side I purchased a left over 10 rode it with just heavier springs & did notice the rear doesn't want to stay planted.  I've talked to FC & they have new suspension specs for these models & no longer suggest an aftermarket link.

The Eddie remap is a must for $50 as it transforms the powerband into a wider more user friendly one.               

How can you make different chassis feel the same when they are not?.... You can't.... but for about $100 you can be real happy, so what I am saying is this: you can nab an 09' from someone who hates it for around $2500-3000 and for under $150 make it feel "like" a 13'

As far as the flywheel weight the G2 throttle tamer does that for you but does not limit any type of power from the engine much better choice

As for the other suggestions I think I'll give the revalve a whirl when I need to redo the top end...

Need to research the TB.... have heard mixed reviews on that one

Do a little work on the motor of your 09 and it'll eat the 11-13 for lunch with that big ass 50mm throttle body. People didnt know what/how to make the 09 work. Ive ridden an 09 that freakin flew for what it was.

When you look at the money you soak into a bike before its "yours", youve gotta be nuts or doing really really well to drop 10gs on a new bike only to dump the same coin into it making it work as well as one thats maybe 2 years older and has all the R&D done.

Do a little work on the motor of your 09 and it'll eat the 11-13 for lunch with that big ass 50mm throttle body. People didnt know what/how to make the 09 work. Ive ridden an 09 that freakin flew for what it was.

When you look at the money you soak into a bike before its "yours", youve gotta be nuts or doing really really well to drop 10gs on a new bike only to dump the same coin into it making it work as well as one thats maybe 2 years older and has all the R&D done.

Shawn,

I completely agree.

I have an 09 CRF450R with a few mods, Eddies ECU re-map, MRD Pro Comp pipe, FC suspension w/FC link, wiseco 13:1 piston, stage 1 hotcam, ported/polished head, Hinson BTL slipper clutch, Boyesen Super cooler, etc. I would not trade my 09 for a new 13/14 for anything, as they need all the same mods. The only 13/14 450R's that will out perform a fine tuned 09, is one that's had all the mod work done to it. 

JL

good point Shawn.

Thanks for the support guys!  I've got to get my suspension done ASAP its just OEM and I weigh in at 195 without gear, the only thing I've done with it is set sag and it feels pretty decent but I don't really know what properly tuned suspension feels like.

Thanks for the support guys! I've got to get my suspension done ASAP its just OEM and I weigh in at 195 without gear, the only thing I've done with it is set sag and it feels pretty decent but I don't really know what properly tuned suspension feels like.

It feels less like a low rider on the front end.

Have an 09 and love it.  The only starting problems I have are caused by me just being a bit short to give it a good kick when I'm not on flat ground.  Fortunately a good sort on here has sent me a lowering link which should solve my problems.  I do run the compression dampening a couple of clicks harder to sacrifice a bit of handling on flat corners for stability when landing.  Though I will be ordering the harder springs recommended by this MXA article http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/10-BEST-MODS-FOR-THE-2009-HONDA-CRF450-Where-Wed-S-1422.aspx .  As far as their suggestions go my bike came with no brake covers and at the suggestion of my local Honda salesman when I had to get new sprockets I went to 13-51 which made it better for the tracks I ride.  The only thing I've done that they haven't suggested is put a hydraulic clutch on it which so far has been the best money I've spent on it

I think I'm about the only guy who had an 08 and didn't like it as much - it had a flat spot in the middle of the rev range which would bring me or others who tried it close to stalling sometimes going up hills (like someone was holding the kill switch for half a second) but it may have been only a trait of that individual bike.  As for the 13 and 14 I'm not yet convinced I will like a bike that noticeably changes the suspension characteristics through the race.

awesome link mackayver!  I'm searching for both springs and link now, I mean for less than $250 my suspension should be epic!

awesome link mackayver!  I'm searching for both springs and link now, I mean for less than $250 my suspension should be epic!

I put .49 fork springs and a PC lowering link on mine and it made a world of difference. Took the harshness out of the forks because now it rides up in the stroke where it should. The link made the rear a little lower and changed the steering geometry enough to take out the head shake. Im not fast but I can sure feel the changes. Just need to work with the clickers a little more and fine tune. I believe it'll be fine. Might do a remap to take away the fierce bottom power.

All this advice came from people here on this forum. Thanks again fellas.

• Like 1