Stolen bikes again

Posted this over on KTM talk. This morning I went to a empty garage again. Last April I had my 2009 Honda CRF-450 and a 2008 KTM XCRW 530 stolen. I got the Honda back, now its gone again along with a new 2013 KTM SX-450 with 24 hours on it. They picked the locks, door knob and dead bolt, and pushed the bikes around back to next street.  Four bikes in 6 months what a year.

Time to think about an alarm there bud. Shouldn't have to live like that but it's the unfortunate nature of today's society.

I feel for ya,I lost my kx125 and my honda xl,they tried to get my rmx 3times this year(still tryin to fix it),I can`t afford to replace them,I don`t have much and they even want that... :banghead:

you need to get your self some chain and a lock. but that sucks always hard to hear about a bike going missing.

Where do you live?

I leave mine on trailer in garage.

I chain it and padlock it to trailer.

Hitch lock on trailer. Also run bolts through the door track to keep it shut!

By the time they make all that noise, they get a 357 enema!

Or they will crap when they hear the bolt drop on the 30 cal!

Depending on my mood!

Posted this over on KTM talk. This morning I went to a empty garage again. Last April I had my 2009 Honda CRF-450 and a 2008 KTM XCRW 530 stolen. I got the Honda back, now its gone again along with a new 2013 KTM SX-450 with 24 hours on it. They picked the locks, door knob and dead bolt, and pushed the bikes around back to next street.  Four bikes in 6 months what a year.

I hate to hear that your bikes got stolen.. I would certainly consider installing a good quality burglar alarm and hidden surveillance system so you can possibly identify the thieves breaking into your shop. I hope you get the bikes back.

If they actually picked the locks, door knob, and dead bolt.. you are not dealing with your typical meth-head or crack-head stealing anything they can get their hands on. That requires skills that few thieves possess.

Please keep the board posted if you get them back.

Good luck.

JL 

I leave mine on trailer in garage.

I chain it and padlock it to trailer.

Hitch lock on trailer. Also run bolts through the door track to keep it shut!

By the time they make all that noise, they get a 357 enema!

Or they will crap when they hear the bolt drop on the 30 cal!

Depending on my mood!

Nice..

Nothing like the sound of a 12 gauge "pump" shot gun racking a round into the chamber...

JL

Nice..

Nothing like the sound of a 12 gauge "pump" shot gun racking a round into the chamber...

JL

Browning 1919 !!!! Makes a distinct sound when bolt drops!

Lmbo.

Browning 1919 !!!! Makes a distinct sound when bolt drops!

Lmbo.

The next and last sound you will hear will be your head exploding.  Sad to say.

Its probably the same douchebags!

Posted this over on KTM talk. This morning I went to a empty garage again. Last April I had my 2009 Honda CRF-450 and a 2008 KTM XCRW 530 stolen. I got the Honda back, now its gone again along with a new 2013 KTM SX-450 with 24 hours on it. They picked the locks, door knob and dead bolt, and pushed the bikes around back to next street. Four bikes in 6 months what a year.

Was it insured? Insurance is pretty cheap on a bike. Mine is less than a $100 a year with American Family.

Diddo on insurance.  We had 2 bikes stolen on a trip to the hatfield trails in August of 2011.  Didn't have insurance on that bike at the time, and the full coverage on the truck didn't cover it either.  Amazingly they found one of the bikes last week after 2 years, just have to drive 12 hours to pick it up.  

Is this your property or renting?  If your renting, I'd honestly consider moving.  If it's yours, do the sensible things.  Buy better locks for the garage, lock the bikes to the floor or walls in the garage, and don't ever leave doors open so people can see what you have in the garage.  If they don't know you have bikes in there, your less likely to be bothered.

Not a solution for everybody but for me my doberman kept my stuff safe although I live in a pretty rural area with all the houses around me of 5+ acres each so not a lot of big city crime.

yup get a dog, let him sleep in the garage....or find a u store it place to share with someone...

Hate thieves. They are the lowest, and should be taken care of. My solution was to install 6 cameras that record ALL the time. They also email my iPhone with a shot if someone is in the area. It may sound expensive, but I bought a complete system for about 100$. I also have some that do the same but have audio and are remote moveable. Those were 80$ a piece. I put warning 24hr recording going on my mailbox as well as beware of dog. All have night vision with illuminators. I also have night vision illuminators separate that light the yard up invisibly to humans. Also put signs at the garage and front and rear entrances. Yeah maybe too much, but I know what's going on at all times. If the dog doesn't alert me the cameras will. I spent maybe 400 total for everything.

I've caught a goshawk killing a dove on my front walk. Wondered what that big blood pool was.

Caught a neighborhood kid playing around in my back yard

Had my sons 22yr old friends think they were smart

I know when my parts come from ups

Word gets around quick that you are watching. Couple that with your own "emergency plan" and you will have the edge on intruders. Thieves will go onto the next home.

As for lock picking, I've got some experience. Locks are funny. Our home locks (most of us) are pretty weak.

Padlocks can be VERY EASY. I picked a master lock in less than 10sec. I could pick my home locks in about 3-5mins. If this is your last defense on your bikes, buy a good one and the chain is hardened like a "ny lock". Chain it to something that can't be cut easily.

Lock picking is quiet. If you're good it looks like you are fumbling with your keys. The way locks are picked is you are taking advantage of their sloppy tolerances. You are basically binding the pins, feeling with the tensioner the slight movements of the assembly against the pins.

My theory was to slightly have my locks binding against the door frame. Yeah it is a pain when your key turns hard (deadbolt), but I can't pick those locks because of this. So each doors deadbolt slightly binds. Enough to stop a picker, but not to much where the key is too tough to turn.

That said with today's portable dremmels and power tools, it is not easy to keep thieves at bay.

A simple drill will get access to most residential locks in 10sec. If done right it will drill and open the door in one shot.

Btw I work in building utilities. My earlier days as an industrial mechanic and power plant operator got me a lot of knowledge of locks. Can't have shit locks protecting critical equipment.

Did I say I hate thieves?

Sorry for your loss! Nothing pisses me off more than a d bag worthless thief. I would be thinking that the person(s) that got you last time got you again. It sounded like you had the garage fairly secure. I think I would be installing a silent alarm and start polishing up the .357.

BTW can I leave my wife in your garage?

Guns only help when you are home and can hear the thieves. Then if you do have a gun you had better be willing to use it otherwise the perpetrators may end up hurting you along with stealing your stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEKKAtMH300

http://lifehacker.com/5907662/diy-burglar-alarm-sends-you-a-text-message-whenever-it-detects-motion

Here are a couple of motion detection cameras that begin to film when it sees movement, and it will send you a text, and you can observe the perps.

If you want to go really cheap, tie a string to your garage door, then tie the other end to a "pile of noise".  The perps won't know there is a string that has to be unhooked from the door before you open it.  You could even attach the string to the light switch too.

If you want to take the noise up a notch and stay cheap.  Get a car battery, and trickle charger, a simple on/off switch and 2 European car horns, and once again attach it to your garage door(s).

Or even a train horn from your local auto supply.

The won't be able to stay around even if they want to.

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED