Cleaned the carb.....

I cleaned the carb because it my bike had a high idle.  Some suggested cleaning the carb and some suggested air leak.  I check for air leak and couldn't find any, so I popped out the carb and cleaned it.  Now it runs like shiz and still has a high idle. 

It sputters a lot through the mid and upper RPMs and then will run fine-ish in the higher RPMs.  It finally cut off in mid range RPMs in first gear and then started back up after a few pushes of the button.  Once I got to the point it was about to cut out again, I let off the throttle and then gave it a little gas after a few seconds and it would stay on.  But if I gave it too much gas the same thing would happen.

I guess I am going to pull the carb out again and go through it.  Any other thoughts?

2011 400s with no MODs.

Had the bike been sitting for a while prior to the problem or was it all of a sudden?

Well, I am assuming it sat a while.  792 miles on an 2011 when I got it.  However, I did figure out the problem I believe.  I had a moment of realization last night right before bed.  I didn't snap the pin/spring that goes on top of the needle in the diaphragm properly.  So this morning I loosened the boots on either side of the and twisted it out to remove the top of the carb.  The little spring and pin were in there sideways.  So I fixed that real quick and started her back up.  She ran great but still had a high idle.  So I adjusted the throttle stop position screw(whatever the technical name is) until my Idle went down to normal.  Bike runs great now.  I wish I had just check that throttle stop first before pulling it all out.  But I guess at least I cleaned the carburetor.  Case closed...I hope. 

What is the purpose of the throttle stop set screw on the bottom of the carb?  Is it to maintain higher RPMs to achieve faster response for the engine?

What is the purpose of the throttle stop set screw on the bottom of the carb?  Is it to maintain higher RPMs to achieve faster response for the engine?

You mean the idle screw?   ;)

You mean the idle screw?   ;)

Is that what the white plastic screw adjust that curves up to the throttle is called? For some reason I thought the idle a seperate hole than the throttle. But that is coming from my experience with my Kawasaki Ninja carburetors. i am still learning all of this stuff. That is only the third motorcycle carb i have pulled out so bare with me.

Thanks for the help though guys/gals.

Yeah, that is the idle adjustment screw. But, hey, don't sweat not knowing that. This is my first motorcycle. And, I've only had it five months. 'course, all that has been down time, but...

Where 'bouts are you in SC? I live down in Savannah.

Yeah, that is the idle adjustment screw. But, hey, don't sweat not knowing that. This is my first motorcycle. And, I've only had it five months. 'course, all that has been down time, but...

Where 'bouts are you in SC? I live down in Savannah.

Charleston area. Know any good places to ride?

Charleston area. Know any good places to ride?

Being a new rider, I don't. We have a MX park down here, in Pooler. But, it's $20 per person, and I've never been.