new 2013 450, which bike to choose?

looking at purchasing a new 13 model bike in the next couple of weeks and wanted some input.  

I'm coming off a 09 crf450r and I liked it but never got confident with its handling and power left a little more to desire.  Someone let me ride their 12' kx450f and I was amazed with the power and sold my 09 to get one.  

Started reading all the reviews and it looks like the only thing going for the kx is the power.  I was disappointed to find that they went back to the 2011 cam to smooth the power out so now the 2013 is not as powerful as the 2012.  motocross action mag said the kawi has bad:  brakes, clutch, handling, cornering.  and elsewhere I've read that although the air forks are great the seals don't hold up, and some people say the kawi's are not reliable?  

The other option:  2013 KTM450sx.  Its the most powerful bike but only at higher RPM, since I'm a slower rider I prefer low to mid power but still want the top end power too.  So I was thinking about gearing with the KTM.  Not sure about reliability with KTM, but hydraulic clutch and electric start, superior braking (KTM does have great brakes!) excellent handing, and corners only second to the RMZ (per MXA), and the only knock it got was the suspension.  Not sure what the steel frame feels like to ride either?

Overall, I can pick up a 2013 Kx450f at my local dealer for 6400 and get a free pro circuit Ti5 exhaust and n-style graphics.  As for the KTM I would have to travel 120 miles and pay 6700.  

I really want a bike that I can gain some confidence on especially in the turns as I could never blast turns on my 09.  I favor being able to ride a gear high and use power to come out of turns (again I'm not a fast rider on the track).  I have around $1000 to put into the bike once I have brought one home to address issues/personalize.  I had my crf for almost 4 years and only got 45 hours on it.  So I'm not racing every weekend but racing (MX) would be the point of this bike.

Thanks in advance for the help

looking at purchasing a new 13 model bike in the next couple of weeks and wanted some input.  

I'm coming off a 09 crf450r and I liked it but never got confident with its handling and power left a little more to desire.  Someone let me ride their 12' kx450f and I was amazed with the power and sold my 09 to get one.  

Started reading all the reviews and it looks like the only thing going for the kx is the power.  I was disappointed to find that they went back to the 2011 cam to smooth the power out so now the 2013 is not as powerful as the 2012.  motocross action mag said the kawi has bad:  brakes, clutch, handling, cornering.  and elsewhere I've read that although the air forks are great the seals don't hold up, and some people say the kawi's are not reliable?  

The other option:  2013 KTM450sx.  Its the most powerful bike but only at higher RPM, since I'm a slower rider I prefer low to mid power but still want the top end power too.  So I was thinking about gearing with the KTM.  Not sure about reliability with KTM, but hydraulic clutch and electric start, superior braking (KTM does have great brakes!) excellent handing, and corners only second to the RMZ (per MXA), and the only knock it got was the suspension.  Not sure what the steel frame feels like to ride either?

Overall, I can pick up a 2013 Kx450f at my local dealer for 6400 and get a free pro circuit Ti5 exhaust and n-style graphics.  As for the KTM I would have to travel 120 miles and pay 6700.  

I really want a bike that I can gain some confidence on especially in the turns as I could never blast turns on my 09.  I favor being able to ride a gear high and use power to come out of turns (again I'm not a fast rider on the track).  I have around $1000 to put into the bike once I have brought one home to address issues/personalize.  I had my crf for almost 4 years and only got 45 hours on it.  So I'm not racing every weekend but racing (MX) would be the point of this bike.

Thanks in advance for the help

I would suggest you give the 450R another chance. Not sure what (if anything) you did to your 09, however. A good MRD pipe and ECU re-map will bring that bike to live over 8500 RPM's where they normally sign-off and quit pulling. Regarding the suspension and handling, you can re-valve the forks, damper, and shock specific to your weight and it should ride like it's running on rails. 

You can buy a new MRD pipe with a life time warranty for around 450.00 - 500.00 from Dave, another 50.00 for ECU re-map from Eddie Sisneros, and have the suspension re-valved for another 250.00 - 300.00 from a good tuner. That will fall within the 1k extra you have to dial the bike in once you bring it home. 

You can't beat the overall power, torque, and speed the 450R offers. As with any bike, you simply have to dial it in (suspension, remap, pipe).

Just my 2 cents..

Let us know what you decide.

JL 

I would suggest you give the 450R another chance. Not sure what (if anything) you did to your 09, however. A good MRD pipe and ECU re-map will bring that bike to live over 8500 RPM's where they normally sign-off and quit pulling. Regarding the suspension and handling, you can re-valve the forks, damper, and shock specific to your weight and it should ride like it's running on rails. 

You can buy a new MRD pipe with a life time warranty for around 450.00 - 500.00 from Dave, another 50.00 for ECU re-map from Eddie Sisneros, and have the suspension re-valved for another 250.00 - 300.00 from a good tuner. That will fall within the 1k extra you have to dial the bike in once you bring it home. 

You can't beat the overall power, torque, and speed the 450R offers. As with any bike, you simply have to dial it in (suspension, remap, pipe).

Just my 2 cents..

JL 

As for the Honda it sounds like they ironed out the bad handling finally.  The bike does give up almost 6 hp to the KTM on the dyno, so my question would be after a pipe and a remap what kind of power does it make?  Also what brand of power does it make, low, mid, high?  $500 for a full exhaust?

As for the Honda it sounds like they ironed out the bad handling finally.  The bike does give up almost 6 hp to the KTM on the dyno, so my question would be after a pipe and a remap what kind of power does it make?  Also what brand of power does it make, low, mid, high?  $500 for a full exhaust?

The MRD Pro-Comp pipe cost $459.00 (shipped) for a complete/full system with a life time warranty. Dave Harryman builds the systems himself backs his work with a lifetime warranty, no other exhaust manufacturer will match Dave's warranty or quality work. 

My 09 450R makes incredible power off the throttle, incredible mid-range torque/power, and continues to pull well past 8500 RPM's where most 450R's sign off, all the way to the rev limiter. Eddies ECU re-map makes the bike start on the first or second kick cold, and same when hot..

I sent the forks, damper, and shock to Factory Connection for a re-valve and rebuild. Also installed the FC shock link which lowers the rear of the bike by 10 mm (less than 1/2") and improves handling significantly. No more stink bug effect in tight turns or during braking. However, dialing the forks and shock in correctly for your exact weight is critical to the overall handling, correct race sag, etc. If you don't fine tune the suspension specifically to your weight, the bike will never handle well. This also applies to any other make/model bike you decide to buy. They all have to be dialed in.

It don't require a lot of extra money to get the 450R's running like they should.. re-map, good pipe, suspension tuning, and you will have a great running bike that will make more power than you will ever need.

All bikes have their problems. With the 450R's, the issues are primarily ECU remap, pipe, and suspension tuning.. none of which are huge expenses. You can do it all for under 1k. 

Give the 450R a chance, spend the 1k on fine tuning and dialing the the bike to your specific needs, and you will be a happy man.

Hope this helps.

JL