Honda Guy Looking To Defect

Or at least looking for info on alternatives. My 10 year old son has been riding since age 7 and has worked his way through an old school Honda XR75 and has now outgrown his CRF100F. The obvious progression now would be to a CRF150F but his riding skills are probably beyond it's "gentle" suspension and throttle. We considered a CRF150R but we don't want a red sticker bike. He is 5 foot and 90 pounds and currently jumps and wheelies as best he can with the 100F.

What does Yamaha have that we should look at? Our target would be 5 year old +/- used bike in the $1500 range.

Thanks!

That is tough.  The 150R or a 85 would be ideal but you have the red sticker issue.

The CRF 150F is a pig and the TTR 125 is not much of an upgrade from the 100.

You could find a green sticker 85 but then you are looking at a 10+ year old bike.

Thanks, that is what I am finding. The way he is progressing he will probably only ride it for a year and then move up again. Probably go with a 150F and mess with some minor tweaks.

Or at least looking for info on alternatives. My 10 year old son has been riding since age 7 and has worked his way through an old school Honda XR75 and has now outgrown his CRF100F. The obvious progression now would be to a CRF150F but his riding skills are probably beyond it's "gentle" suspension and throttle. We considered a CRF150R but we don't want a red sticker bike. He is 5 foot and 90 pounds and currently jumps and wheelies as best he can with the 100F.

What does Yamaha have that we should look at? Our target would be 5 year old +/- used bike in the $1500 range.

Thanks![/quote

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by red sticker bike?

One of the ridiculous environmental laws the government of California has in place that only allows that you can ride certain machines certain times of year if I'm not mistaken. Like a country of its own, a place barrack hussein  would feel right at home in.

Thanks![/quote

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by red sticker bike?

California has two types of off road registration based on smog rules and bikes get split into two groups. The actual license device is a sticker and comes in two colors. The theoretically cleaner bikes including "fun" or "trail" 4 strokes get a green sticker registration which allows use year round and on any public lands. Race bikes and 2 strokes get a red sticker registration and there are significant restrictions on when and where they can be operated.