Sign in to follow this  

2004 YZ250 oil from weep hole?

I am getting oil from the weep hole, does not leak when sitting however I get a few drops when bike is at operating temp. I can't detect any oil in the coolant and when I change the oil there is minimal loss. Question is what if anything do I need to fix water pump seals? Is this just a gasket any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I need the water pump seal because my YZ is seeping a little coolant.  As long as things are apart, I was going to change both seals.  I looked at a couple of OEM parts houses and it said the oil seal is OBSOLETE!  I can't quite believe that.  I haven't ordered any parts yet.  I could get by with just changing the coolant seal but GEEZ - the bike is not THAT old! (2001 and I think same seal as yours.)

After checking more OEM web sites, it seems that number has only been superseded by a new number and a couple of web sites just aren't with it and list it as obsolete.  I hoped it wasn't obsolete because that same seal is used on about 300 different Yamaha models.

when replacing your seals, inspect the impeller shaft and make sure the seal has not worn a grove in the shaft, because replacing the seal might only fix it for a short while before it starts to leak again, if so try and position the seal on the shaft in a different location if possible, other wise you'll have to replace your shaft.

when replacing your seals, inspect the impeller shaft and make sure the seal has not worn a grove in the shaft, because replacing the seal might only fix it for a short while before it starts to leak again, if so try and position the seal on the shaft in a different location if possible, other wise you'll have to replace your shaft.

Actually, I KNOW the shaft is bad.  The PO let it sit for a couple of years and the shaft was corroded bad.  I cleaned it up as good as I could and it lasted for a while.  So I need seals AND the WP shaft.