Sign in to follow this  

KLX250SF good trail bike?

I'm looking to get into dirt bikes! I've been riding street bikes for two year and have quite a bit of experience cannon riding. I had a ZX 636 now I have an 09 er6n and I love it! I recently did a dirt bike clinic on a WR450 and had the time of my life trail riding. I thought the 450 was a bit much do I'm looking for a 250 4 stroke. I want it to be street able though so I was thinking of getting the klx250sf and buying a set of rims with dirt tires for trail riding. I'm about 200lbs with gear. Any suggestions open to other makes Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki whatever

I think I'd try for an 's' rather than 'sf' version and get a second set of wheels with street tires if you really want to ride dirt. I've seen a number of folks (over on kawasaki forums) get SF, then try to make it S wishing they had just got an S in the first place.  My 2 cents.  YMMV!

We just put a set of knobs (Conti TK80s) on a 2009 S and the client loves it up in the mountains of utah.  Low seat height and enough power to go nearly everywhere.

klx 250 is very reliable, like most jap bikes, but underpowered. It will bring your ass back from the woods every time. Can be fixed with sprocket swap and exhaust mods. Footpegs are high and seat not so (bit tight for legs but no harm). I'm 6'2 - 190

Stock tires with real nobbies . Adjustable suspensions, exhaust not loud (good for birds, squirrels, neighbors). Love mine

WR higher seat, better bike but $$$

I'm looking to get into dirt bikes! I've been riding street bikes for two year and have quite a bit of experience cannon riding. I had a ZX 636 now I have an 09 er6n and I love it! I recently did a dirt bike clinic on a WR450 and had the time of my life trail riding. I thought the 450 was a bit much do I'm looking for a 250 4 stroke. I want it to be street able though so I was thinking of getting the klx250sf and buying a set of rims with dirt tires for trail riding. I'm about 200lbs with gear. Any suggestions open to other makes Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki whatever

Don't forget about Costco's relationship with Kawaski!  I got a price for a NEW 2012 for $5099 out the door(if you deduct the $200 Costco cash card you get for free).  That is including a 9.25% sales tax and Ca. DMV fees!  Great Deal.  The deal makes it tuff to justify buying a used one when they are going for around $4000 + tax!  So a used bike ends up saving you about $700 bucks, but who knows whats happened to it in those 2 years of use/abuse.

And don't forget when pricing a used bike, you'll have to pay sales tax when you transfer the bike at the DMV.

Edited by ssorange