Choosing my next KTM...

I cant decide which bike would be right. I'm in the market for either a KTM 450exc or 530exc (maybe 525?) 2006 and newer. Plated of course, I will be riding 85% street, 15% offroad with street tires. 

I'm 6'1 and only 155lbs with clothes. Deciding to sell my 2-strokes and get a supermoto.

Sadly I dont know anyone with these bikes so I need to suck some knowledge from you guys. How does the 530 compare to the 450? Weight, power, feel. There are a lot of things that the spec sheet cant tell me. 

I rode a 2002 ktm 520exc for a few weeks (stock and beaten, not properly taken care of) but I hated how heavy it was. Felt more like a street bike than anything else. 

I am very experienced with light bikes, 250cc 2-strokes. My go-to dirtbike is an rm-250. I just want something fun to drive to work with and ride fast yet not be scared to take it on a few local trails / offroad. 

It sure would be nice to be able to do meaningful test rides on these things before buying wouldn't it?

yeah I always get nervous buying a new bike. Second guess myself every time. Never happy until the project is over, but when it is, Its like falling in love. hahaha.

Mainly worried about my physical strength being able to handle the 530 offroad if there is even a major difference. 

Edited by Wiski

I cant decide which bike would be right. I'm in the market for either a KTM 450exc or 530exc (maybe 525?) 2006 and newer. Plated of course, I will be riding 85% street, 15% offroad with street tires. 

I rode a 2002 ktm 520exc for a few weeks (stock and beaten, not properly taken care of) but I hated how heavy it was. Felt more like a street bike than anything else. 

First, off you can forget any 06 unless it is already CA plated and even then a risk because 07 was the 1st year any KTM EXC was CA street legal.

Second, if you thought a 520 is heavy, everything else you are considering is heaver though the current 500 has a much lighter "feel".

Third, and I know you don't want to hear this but IMO no EXC makes a good 85% street bike, supermoto or not.

Bruce

P.S. Not sure what kind of street bikes you have ridden but I can't think of a single one that feels like a 02 KTM 520EXC. Honda Grom? http://powersports.honda.com/2014/grom.aspx

First, off you can forget any 06 unless it is already CA plated and even then a risk because 07 was the 1st year any KTM EXC was CA street legal.

Second, if you thought a 520 is heavy, everything else you are considering is heavier though the current 500 has a much lighter "feel".

Exactly.

If you 'hated how heavy the 2002 520 EXC was', you won't be happy with any of the later 4 strokes weight-wise.

Exactly.

If you 'hated how heavy the 2002 520 EXC was', you won't be happy with any of the later 4 strokes weight-wise.

I despised an '07 525exc I picked up. The 500exc on the other hand feels like a lightweight Ferrari in comparison. I love this bike (except when I pick it up, a way too often occurrence :banghead: )

I really do just need to take a test drive. I have heard the KTM exc can make a great supermoto bike with the right aftermarket parts. That is what I'm looking for. A CA street legal ktm 450smr essentially.

According to online spec websites, the 530exc is about 40-50 pounds heavier than my rm250.

Guess I'll just have to buy one to see if I can adjust to it. My newest problem is choosing the right bike to transform. I recently forgot that KTM's have a bad overheating issue on those bikes.

Back to the drawing board. Thank for for the replies thus far! I have taken everything in.

I despised an '07 525exc I picked up. The 500exc on the other hand feels like a lightweight Ferrari in comparison. I love this bike (except when I pick it up, a way too often occurrence :banghead: )

My exact thoughts of my 09 450. The bike is an absolute dream to ride until the moment you have to pick it up off the ground. When I'm on the 450 I plan my rides according to my 3 pickup rule. I won't ride any trails that are going to require me to pick it up off the ground more than 3 times. After a 4th pickup I'm spent!

I've also learned if I'm gonna hit the deck to make sure I don't drop the bike with the bars on the downhill side because that's just wicked.

I have an 07 450exc and love it, Having said that, I would not recomend it for 85% street. I ride 95% off road and it is a great bike. Sucks on the road. I just go on the road long enough to get to the next trail. I have knobbies and 13t front sprocket. I'm sure it could be made more suitable for the road if desired.  Great off road not so good on road in my opion. Good luck, Guy 

I have an 07 450exc and love it, Having said that, I would not recomend it for 85% street. I ride 95% off road and it is a great bike. Sucks on the road. I just go on the road long enough to get to the next trail. I have knobbies and 13t front sprocket. I'm sure it could be made more suitable for the road if desired.  Great off road not so good on road in my opion. Good luck, Guy 

+1 .. love my 450exc on the trail, not that much of a pig.. and I ride trials, so I know and love a light bike.... Still, I hate the 450 on the street.. and I had a Husky Supermoto that was not for me either.

The KTM 950 Supermoto is the bike that will never fail to thrill. :thumbsup:  The LC8 V-twin is an amazing engine.