Sign in to follow this  

Mo Betta Eric Gorr Mod for 05 Cr250r

Hey all, I'm considering getting the Mo Betta mod by Eric Gorr for my 250. Just curious if anyone on here has gotten it and what do they think? I would like the widen out the power band on my bike a bit to make it less crazy to ride at times and I heard that mod would do it.

Any thoughts or opinions would be great

Thanks

I just had my '05 head and cylinder modded by Eric Gorr. Here's what went down:

MONDAY (before the Labor day Holiday)

I called him  @ noon asking him whether he could do a head mod and cylinder base recut. He said it's a simple job, is a two day turnaround, and he could have it done, shipped out  the door on Wednesday if he got the parts Tuesday. BUT! If I got him the parts in the morning, he could do a one day turnaround and have it shipped same day, or Tuesday. I wasn't expecting a fast turnaround, So, based on what he said, I immediately tore down the top end, and shipped him my cyl & head, paid $90 next day air morning delivery.  the air charge is worth it for me to be riding on Labor day holiday w/ fam.

TUESDAY

Parts got it to him on Tues @ 10 am. So he should be ablt to get the work was completed, and shipped ground. IT will arrive to me on Friday.

WEDNESDAY

Called 9am, asked did it ship out yesterday? Was a tad bummed out that he didn't ship it, as he said he would. DIdn't give a reason, and I just decided to not piss him off, and just let it go. But I asked, and he assured me that it would go out on Wednesday. So I reminded him, just like what I had written down on his work order sheet packed with the parts,  to ship it Fedex GROUND, (not UPS) . I'll get it on a Sat at my house, and we still can go riding on Sunday & Mon. To verify it shipped, I called @ 4:30 Wed afternoon, and to my shock! was told he bailed out of the shop around 2pm, and my order wasn't shipping today.

THURSDAY

Called 8:30 am, asked why didn't it ship? He said he had to leave the shop for some personal business. He then assured me that it would ship today. He asked if I wanted to ship it 2nd day? I said I can't afford to pay $65 for 2nd day, and besides, I'd need to pay an additional $15 for Sat delivery. So, I told him , ship it GROUND. I'll just have to do something else on Labor day weekend, take my boy out riding another weekend. So, in summary, if the parts ship out Thursday via Ground, I get in 3 bus days, or Wed of next week, due to a monday being labor day.

TUESDAY

My order shows up - IN THE MORNING. What the ?

I open the box, read the receipt, and saw to my horror that  the pkg shipped out 2nd day air to the tune of $65.

So once again, another muck up by the man himself. I called , asking why it shipped 2nd day air instead of Ground? HE said the paperwork must have gotten mixed up. He doesn't do the shipping there. I then said that I wanted him to only charge me for ground shipping, which I thought was fair considering the delay. TO MY SURPRISE, he said to go ahead and bring it up to the people at Millenium Tech. He only works there. As in, he punches a time clock. Forward Motion is a business owned by Millineum, not owned by Eric Gorr. Well, after having heard that, I just let it go. No use in barking up the wrong tree.

So here's the bottom line:

head and cyl base cut = $105

UPS AIR = $90

FEDEX 2nd = $65

TOTAL= $260

My 1st job w/ eric gorr, is w/o a doubt, my absolute last. I don't reward bad service w/ repeat business.

Edited by minibikedad

Oh, and the result of the work?

I asked him, and even wrote on the work order, to tone down the powerband for a novice teenager. Have it just like a stock KDX200 . Get rid of the midrange hit. Losing top end overrev is NOT A PROBLEM. Novice teenager is a "D" level, but is tall.

NO CHANGE in power delivery. At times, I thought "did they mix up the work order? This thing hits even harder now than before".

I'm no engine builder but I'm pretty sure there is no way you can make a 05 cr250 motor perform like a kdx200. The 2 are not even on the same planet. If you want the motor to be like that I would suggest putting on the heaviest flywheel weight you can find.

I just got "mo betta" porting on my 06 cr250.  I send the cylinder and head to EG to have him shave .030 off the base of the cylinder, cut the head for pump premium fuel and then I told him to do whatever porting to spread the power out as far as possible.  I didn't ask for any special shipping.  He got my cylinder and head on Monday, did the work and they called me for payment and it shipped out Friday.  I got it all back on Wed completely seamless.  The bike pulls like a freight train right off idle and revs to the moon.  I short shift it like a 4 stroke but the only time I held it open on a long straight, I never ran out of RPM, it pulled all the way until I had to grab break for the corner.  I have used EG on 3 motors and have been 100% satisfied on all 3. 

Edited by frdbtr

I'm no engine builder but I'm pretty sure there is no way you can make a 05 cr250 motor perform like a kdx200. The 2 are not even on the same planet. If you want the motor to be like that I would suggest putting on the heaviest flywheel weight you can find.

NOt even on the same planet? For real?

They're both 2 stroke motors...they both have powervalves. they both have pipes w/ bulges.

Plus,  forward motion's website advertise that they can tame the motor down.

http://www.eric-gorr.com/ServiceMasterlist2-Strokes.php

CYLINDER BASE and HEAD MACHINING 50-112cc $75 125cc+ $100

Cylinder head and cylinder bases can be turned and machined to produce a powerband that is better for beginners and trail-riders. The technical reasoning is that this modification serves to retard the port timing and increase the squish velocity produced in the cylinder head. If you just want more low end and don’t want to spend a fortune, this is the best mod that will give you the biggest bang for your buck!

Yes they are both 2 stroke motors. Yes they both have pipes that have "bulges" but that's where the similarities end. The cr250 was designed as a race motor. The kdx as a beginner trail friendly bike. Like I said before 2 totally different worlds. My best advice to you would be put a 13oz flywheel on it, use an fmf gnarly pipe, make sure your jetting is spot on. Other than that and a mo betta port job, There is nothing that is going to make an 05 cr250 motor behave like a kdx200 motor.

I just got "mo betta" porting on my 06 cr250.  I send the cylinder and head to EG to have him shave .030 off the base of the cylinder, cut the head for pump premium fuel and then I told him to do whatever porting to spread the power out as far as possible.  I didn't ask for any special shipping.  He got my cylinder and head on Monday, did the work and they called me for payment and it shipped out Friday.  I got it all back on Wed completely seamless.  The bike pulls like a freight train right off idle and revs to the moon.  I short shift it like a 4 stroke but the only time I held it open on a long straight, I never ran out of RPM, it pulled all the way until I had to grab break for the corner.  I have used EG on 3 motors and have been 100% satisfied on all 3. 

Yea, it was your prior post that motivated me to send my stuff out to him. 

So please, do us all here a favor. Stop sucking up to his work ethic.  I'm

$80+ out of pocket b/c I took your advice.

Yea, it was your prior post that motivated me to send my stuff out to him. 

So please, do us all here a favor. Stop sucking up to his work ethic.  I'm

$80+ out of pocket b/c I took your advice.

You are disappointed because you had unrealistic expectations about what you were going to get like was pointed out above.  I only post what service I have been given.  I never said anything about his "work ethic" I only posted exactly what happened and the quality of his WORK.  When I sent him my stuff, I didn't pay $90 shipping.  Yes, Millenium made a mistake when they shipped it back to you, probably because you were calling them every day wondering where your stuff was and conveyed that you were in a huge hurry, probably because you paid nearly the price of the work to next day your cylinder to him which also conveyed that you were in a huge hurry.  Sometimes, the customer isn't right.  You are a BUNCH of the problem here and you are blaming Gorr for being all of the problem.

Yes they are both 2 stroke motors. Yes they both have pipes that have "bulges" but that's where the similarities end. The cr250 was designed as a race motor. The kdx as a beginner trail friendly bike. Like I said before 2 totally different worlds. My best advice to you would be put a 13oz flywheel on it, use an fmf gnarly pipe, make sure your jetting is spot on. Other than that and a mo betta port job, There is nothing that is going to make an 05 cr250 motor behave like a kdx200 motor.

I know I wasn't going to get "exactly"  a kdx200 powerband. I made the comparison to a KDX200 b/c I wanted him to be clear that I wanted something  milder than what is currently for a novice rider. But what I got is NOT MILDER, not even a tad lesser of a hit than before. It's the same as before, a tad stronger up top. I've even rejetted it twice now, still no change towards a smoother motor for a novice. It's clearly not cut right, not close to what I wanted. Very disappointing.

I've already moved on from this debacle. He'll get a 230f. Besides, I just finished putting an LED headlight on it, and will have the CR250 plated this week. I'm taking it on a 3 day d/s ride in a couple weeks.

You are disappointed because you had unrealistic expectations about what you were going to get like was pointed out above.  I only post what service I have been given.  I never said anything about his "work ethic" I only posted exactly what happened and the quality of his WORK.  When I sent him my stuff, I didn't pay $90 shipping.  Yes, Millenium made a mistake when they shipped it back to you, probably because you were calling them every day wondering where your stuff was and conveyed that you were in a huge hurry, probably because you paid nearly the price of the work to next day your cylinder to him which also conveyed that you were in a huge hurry.  Sometimes, the customer isn't right.  You are a BUNCH of the problem here and you are blaming Gorr for being all of the problem.

Dude, let's just drop it, ok?

I had called this Eric gore also 3 weeks ago and boy was he a feggin Dick.. he was rude from the get go.. I ended hangin up on his A$$. I was asking him bout porting and he was funking sarcastic...People like him are not needed in the mx industry

Once you made the comparison to a kdx trail bike the company should have made it clear what you wanted wasn't goin to be accomplished with motor mods, a flywheel is possibly the only thing to tame that motor down or trade down to a bike that better fits your needs

Even a flywheel won't "tame" the motor.  If he were comparing to a 450mx 4 stroke it would be a valid comparison, but there is no way that a 250 mx bike is ever going to have the mannerisms of a 4 stroke or even a 2 stroke trail bike.  It isn't even apples and oranges, it would be like comparing apples and broccoli.

Edited by frdbtr
  • Like 1

It's not impossible at all to make a cr250 run "LIKE" a kdx. A big flywheel weight, Mild porting for bottom end, a deeper head with a flat top piston, retarding the ignition timing 1 or 2 degrees with it jetted a little on the richer side should give you all you need. I would recommend running a little hotter spark plug for this setup also.

you expected a completely different power band from just a head mod and cutting the cylinder base? i see that modification as moving the powerband, not changing its "personal" characteristics.

in my opinion, if you want a different powerband you should of opted for port work...

regardless, i agree with the rest of your concerns, the shipping thing is pretty shitty and would leave a really bad taste in my mouth and if you asked for a softer powerband and it either wasnt possible or whatever, you should of been advised that its not going to happen.

Edited by mynewcr250

I'll be sending off my head & cylinder to EG after this last race in my series. I KNOW I will be super-pleased with the work when I get it back. Looking forward to it!

I just got "mo betta" porting on my 06 cr250. I send the cylinder and head to EG to have him shave .030 off the base of the cylinder, cut the head for pump premium fuel and then I told him to do whatever porting to spread the power out as far as possible. I didn't ask for any special shipping. He got my cylinder and head on Monday, did the work and they called me for payment and it shipped out Friday. I got it all back on Wed completely seamless. The bike pulls like a freight train right off idle and revs to the moon. I short shift it like a 4 stroke but the only time I held it open on a long straight, I never ran out of RPM, it pulled all the way until I had to grab break for the corner. I have used EG on 3 motors and have been 100% satisfied on all 3.

Thanks for your opinion! That's exactly what I want mine to do as well. If you don't mind me asking, how much did yours cost? And how did you write the work order up for that? Just so I can get a good idea of how to go about it.

Thanks