Static Sag who is correct

I could find you at least ten websites of big suspension tuners and magazines on how to much sag you should have to check for correct spring for linkage bikes 

my bike is a 13 ktm 450 

some say 15mm -25mm

others say 20-30mm

some say 30+or - 5mm 

That could be the difference between right and wrong 

just a few 

I was recomended this setup page     http://forums.mxtrax.co.uk/showthread.php/261095-Suspension-Setup-Guide-Part-1   15-25mm but talks about ktm being more but I think it means PDS shocks 

then there is this Motocross action          http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/a75e77aa-f1d9-4669-aaf7-3381e40b6a7b.aspx 30mm- 40mm 

who do you think correct or more so 

Edited by dustinmoto

MXA says 30-40 . Im looking for about 35mm when I get about 105 race sag. You set your race sag anywhere from 100-110mm personal pref and when youre done the static sag should be around 35mm +/- a few mm . If its way off then the spring is wrong for you.

So you saying mxa is correct and the others are wrong then?

So you saying mxa is correct and the others are wrong then?

Nope. Im saying this is what I do. Its what ive seen commonly done. Some bikes may like 100mm some may like 115mm . Mxa is right up the middle

There is no fixed, it must be this!

These are good ball parks to get you started, you may have a preference that deviates some, and that's fine.

I'm less concerned with static now than ever, I make my adjustments by spring preload and see what feels best (instills confidence) 4-12mm is what I'm comfortable with being in, Yamaha states 2-18mm. That's a buttload!!!

For instance I'm at 10mm measured on the spring itself, stock spring and I'm a big guy. But depending on the friend that checks my rider sag 108-110mm and I feel it's the best I've tried.

I've checked my static (28mm) but who cares, I found what makes my bike work best.

Every calculator or standard says I should be 2 rates stiffer. :-p

There is

I've checked my static (28mm) but who cares, I found what makes my bike work best.

Every calculator or standard says I should be 2 rates stiffer. :-p

Yep. Thats why youre only getting 28mm static, youre squezzing down extra preload on a too soft spring to get your race sag sitting on the bike. Even 1 rate stiffer would prolly give u a plusher ride.

Nope. Im saying this is what I do. Its what ive seen commonly done. Some bikes may like 100mm some may like 115mm . Mxa is right up the middle

I hear you mate

But im on about static not race

If you go by mxa I need a stiffer spring

As mine is at 26mm not 30-40

But ok if you go by other tuners

Edited by dustinmoto

Woods 25-35 and MX 30-40

not a right or wrong thing, preference in steering and handling is different between riders and tracks and speed.  The relationship between static and rider sag gives clue of the spring installed being in the ballpark. Then you adjust to suit.

not a right or wrong thing, preference in steering and handling is different between riders and tracks and speed. The relationship between static and rider sag gives clue of the spring installed being in the ballpark. Then you adjust to suit.

+1 Yes !

if its a more sweeping course , more sag will make it turn a bit slower which i sometimes want or also for a slick rooty course i want it a little more doggy assed (more sag) bcuz i dont want super quick turning. Dry course with lotta tight corners i tighten up the shock spring nut maybe 1 turn. Tighten it too much and the rear will kick

static sag is about the most useless suspension setting ever talked about.it is the lazy mans way of not having to check actual spring preload.

you need to check rider sag and spring preload,forget about  "rider sag".

rider sag is especially useless if you are lighter or heavier than standard weights.

spring preload should run from say 5 to 10 mm to be ideal.

Good stuff 

I got a new Ohlins spring 54 from my mate (used for 1hour) put in on and set it up to 7mm of preload 

38mm of static sag 

108mm Race sag  with full kit seated in the attack position 

Thats what I going leave it on for the next test I was going aiming for 108mm starting point 

at 10mm of preload it was 30mm sag and about 102mm

Right what do you know about forks preload and sag and where to have them in the clamps to start from 

Thanks Guys 

Edited by dustinmoto

Static sag has no constant. Every bike and rider has a different preference. I personally like stiff springs and less static sag but lots of race sag (been as high as 125mm). Ive never been one to lean a bike over far and don't need the bike to settle into corners as much as I like a bike to be able to hammer into obstacles with little deflection. Logs that many would hit at 1st or 2nd I will do it 2nd or 3rd. I make my time up on the faster stuff but suffer in the tight gnarly stuff....

On any KTM I've owned though, lots of sag with the forks low in the triple clamps seems to be the ticket, linkage or not.....

Woods 25-35 and MX 30-40

Exactly! When it comes to linked bikes, these are the numbers.

Rider sag is a different story, thats all over the place with some people preferring less and others preferring way more. Rider sag is usually what dictates the feel of the bike anyway and its the variable that changes with track conditions.

Right what do you know about forks preload and sag and where to have them in the clamps to start from

Usually fork springs should be preloaded at least 2mm to start with. Sag for motocross should be between 50 - 60mm (rider) and 30 - 40mm (static). Ride height is different on every bike, as each one has its own rake and trail. So its hard to give a specific number for that, but generally speaking, highest ring is where you start and lower the front from there.

Im short (low seat)so like the bike as low to the ground ass poss

Got a pc rear linkage arm (made no difference to height or rear end)

Was going to raise forks 10mm off the top of the triple clamp (5mm of the second ring)

Is this a good starting point

Fork race sag is 60mm

Im short (low seat)so like the bike as low to the ground ass poss

Got a pc rear linkage arm (made no difference to height or rear end)

Was going to raise forks 10mm off the top of the triple clamp (5mm of the second ring)

Is this a good starting point

Fork race sag is 60mm

Not IMO, I think your bike will handle like crap with major fork dive.... What's your race sag at?

108mm

Not IMO, I think your bike will handle like crap with major fork dive.... What's your race sag at?

I have a friend who's like 5'4 ...short and light guy ... He has a YZ125 with the fork tubes pulled all the way up in the triples and hardly any preload , seat shaved so he's almost flat footed.

We were out trail riding , I was telling him he's gotta change all this but he has the need to be almost flat footed. Anyway, I rode it and for trail riding I was surprised it wasnt all that

bad. I wouldn't try to get too agressive on it, but for a guy just casual trail riding, it can be done ..looks kinda funny though but what the hay, he's havin fun .

As long as someone explains the limitations of this kind of setup, it's a good way for someone to get started on a bike , build a little confidence .

See what happens when your up in the Middle of the night, sick with the flu ... start typing jibberish ...lol

^^^^For sure.... But you have to keep in mind that if you change one thing it changes everything.....