Sign in to follow this  

2014 test

Pretty good write up in the new issue of dirt rider. Rave reviews about the engine ( revs as high as the ktm) suspension awesome ( no news there) only complaint was that it could use a touch more off the bottom and a tendency for the front end to wander, they blamed the tire.almost tempted to get one for my 200 lb, almost 50 slow c rider phat ass.

• Like 1

The dealer I ride for ordered me the white version and it is to be in sometime in October. I have been debating between the CRF and the YZ-F but the suspension on the Yamaha is the deal breaker. We can get more bottom end but I am a little concerned on the steering. I have a modded 2013 KXF250 the rips but does not turn well at all. I am bummed that they are releasing them so late. 

I've got one on order as well and still no news on delivery date. I even called Yamaha and customer service didn't even know and said to call back towards the end of the month. I saw one for sale on eBay and they said it would shipped sept 30th, so I'm expecting they'll hit dealers the first week of October, even though a few already have them somehow.

My 04 YZ250F cornered like crap but my 2010 is much better, and I thought I remembered reading in the 2014 tests that it corners better than last years.

I'm interested in What type oh HP numbers it will be putting down. With this years 450 at 58hp compared to 54 last year, I'm thinking the 250 will be in the 43-45hp range.

I've got one on order as well and still no news on delivery date. I even called Yamaha and customer service didn't even know and said to call back towards the end of the month. I saw one for sale on eBay and they said it would shipped sept 30th, so I'm expecting they'll hit dealers the first week of October, even though a few already have them somehow.

My 04 YZ250F cornered like crap but my 2010 is much better, and I thought I remembered reading in the 2014 tests that it corners better than last years.

I'm interested in What type oh HP numbers it will be putting down. With this years 450 at 58hp compared to 54 last year, I'm thinking the 250 will be in the 43-45hp range.

If it even breaks the 40HP mark that will be awesome. Only KTM and Kawasaki are in the 40+ .

I think it was just over 37hp last year? With the new engine and fuel injection I'll be amazed if it isn't over 40hp. I just called my old dealership in CA and they already have the '14 250F's there...so hopefully they'll start showing up everywhere else soon.

Bikes like this one make me wish I bought new bikes....or needed one. My 07 still does me just fine...lol. Then again, if i race, its 30+ C haha. The 269 kit has def boosted it down low.

Anyhow, buddy JUST bought a '14 yz450f. It is sick....he rode it first time this past weekend. Sat morn at track before we went through it and greased linkage, etc. Also set sag. He seemed to like it a lot.

Kinda funny how many people stop by to look at it. Understandable though...new bike, etc, etc.

Edited by J_WR2fitty

I think it was just over 37hp last year? With the new engine and fuel injection I'll be amazed if it isn't over 40hp. I just called my old dealership in CA and they already have the '14 250F's there...so hopefully they'll start showing up everywhere else soon.

That sounds very promising!!

I don't like that the piston only has one ring.  Seems that everyone is doing this now, but the engine will be less reliable and need more servicing.  I guess it is a race motor, but I liked that Yamaha's were considered the reliable bike.

I don't like that the piston only has one ring.  Seems that everyone is doing this now, but the engine will be less reliable and need more servicing.  I guess it is a race motor, but I liked that Yamaha's were considered the reliable bike.

L O L!!!

i've been running the 1 ring JE piston for.....oh 11 years now.    less reliable?   not even close.

• Like 1

L O L!!!

i've been running the 1 ring JE piston for.....oh 11 years now.    less reliable?   not even close.

Well, give me maybe a little bit less reliable.  Glad to hear you've had success with your piston.  Everything I've read and from my experience one piston ring is less reliable, even according to JE.  I could only guess that as technology changes that the reliability of anything will improve.  I'm going to bet that any bike built for high miles and hours is going to avoid one piston ring.  But, like I said, it is a race bike, and a lot of people rebuild there bikes often.  I'd rather have two piston rings, but people who buy new (not me) are going to want and see the high horsepower charts which are more important in Motocross then the kind of riding I'm into.  It's a beautiful bike, I just hope the wr version has two rings.

I think the single ring is a non-issue.  I'm sure you could find a 2 ring piston if you wanted to.

I ran a single ring piston for 2 years with no problems.

I think it was Basher from MXA but he said in his initial ride that it also had the turn-in wiggle. He said that thing previous generation handled better. Maybe it is just a touchy set-up or maybe that sensation is just a product of the mass-centralization movement. Either way, I have no doubt that the suspension will be very good, reliability will be top-notch and I have no reason to think that the motor is anything short of awesome. I will certainly take one for a spin if I get the chance. Right now it is not a 'must-have' for me at the moment, as my modded current-gen YZF fits me perfectly and still has plenty of life left. But I am really looking forward to hearing review from magazines, friends and people on here, when they take delivery of them.

I was comparing the '14 dyno chart to last years and the power curve is almost identical aside from slightly less power below 6k, and where last years power levels off after 10k, the '14 keeps building. Wish I had time to make a trip to CA to get my dyno so I could run it as I mod it, but that probably won't happen until spring.

Called Yamaha and my dealer again today and still no ship date other than "October". So close yet sooo far away.

Yeah that makes two of us. Feels like time has come to a halt waiting for it to get here. I left my bikes in Cali when I moved out here so I don't even have anything to ride in the meantime.

Seriously. There was a dealership that had one listed on eBay saying it would be delivered to them today, but I just called them and they still don't have any and don't know when they will. This sucks, I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.

Where are you getting those HP #'s from? They seem kinda hyped up to me. A stock 2012 CRF250R was 29 HP at the rear wheel.

Motocross Action Magazine dyno'd it at 58hp , said it was the most powerful stock bike that's ever been across their dyno. And here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1042767-2014-yz450f-first-impression-and-dyno-test/

Akrapovic has dyno charts for the 2014 on their site, but their numbers are on the low side. Regardless, the Yamaha is putting out more power than the Honda, Kawi and Suzuki.