Sign in to follow this  

How do you maximize your training time

So, I work the average 12-14 hour shift at my work. I get off around 5, scramble home and normally pound something light to eat and make my way to either a off the main road field, or trail for an hour of riding each night. 

Was wondering what folks do if they can only secure 1 hour a night for riding during the week. I've recently been going back to the basics figure 8's, log crossing, and balance work. So, if you had 1 hour tops of riding time, how would you spend it? 

Not seen a thread like this, so figured it would be a good way to swap training ideas ect.

So, I work the average 12-14 hour shift at my work. I get off around 5, scramble home and normally pound something light to eat and make my way to either a off the main road field, or trail for an hour of riding each night. 

Was wondering what folks do if they can only secure 1 hour a night for riding during the week. I've recently been going back to the basics figure 8's, log crossing, and balance work. So, if you had 1 hour tops of riding time, how would you spend it? 

Not seen a thread like this, so figured it would be a good way to swap training ideas ect.

Also interested to hear what people say....I guess this counts as a bump...

I'd say if you're lucky enough to ride every night, set up a schedule.  Do X workout/training Monday, Wednesday, Friday and a different X workout for Tuesday, Thursday.  If you're really serious about progressing, don't forget to throw some aerobics and weight training in there too.

If I can't get on the bike, I use a mix of HIIT training and strength training then on other days I will bust out the bicycle and try to get 15-20 miles in.

I wouldnt ride 1 hour per night.. You will just end up burning yourself out and also not having enough time to properly clean and maintane the bike between rides.  Try to ride 2-3 times per week and mountain bike or do other off the bike training to build endurance.  Doing drills such as figure 8's and log crossing will help, but the only way to get faster is to ride at a fast pace and push to beat your times. Having a faster rider to chase is a great way to learn and just getting out to as many races as you can on the weekends will help more than doing figure 8s by yourself in a field every night.

Go to a race, pay attention to where you lose alot of time on other guys, then focus on getting better on that one technique be it standing more, flat turns, off camber turns, flow, etc.  Force yourself to look ahead, remind yourself to keep your elbows up and out and stay agressive on the bike.  As soon as your too tired to ride in the correct position you should call it quits for training. Anything beyond that point is going to drill poor posture and technique into your muscle memory.

DONT OVER DO THE TRAINING..  You will get frustrated and burnt out.   Sometimes the best thing you can do is take a whole week or two off.

Can't replace seat time for training! But I do agree that its possible to overtrain.

your actually doing more training than 90% of the dirt bike riders. its so easy to just go out and have fun since thats the reason we are all riding anyway, and not do any training to actually improve on your riding skills.  as larry Morton of five magics racing school would say "all your doing is getting good at doing it wrong" if you just go out and ride without having a training session each ride.

at his schools he usually treats it like almost anyother athletic training..... he starts out with a little free riding to losen up, then work on some drills and finish up with a little more free riding to work on applying what you have been working on...

Training...wow I wish!

Good Luck. I'm guessing short difficult track or concentrate on sections to maximize your efforts. Cannot do it all, all the time you will never exceed.