Sign in to follow this  

CRF150 linkage needed to raise my CRF230

I am another one of those big guys on a CRF230 that compresses the stock shock. I need the triangle part of a CRF150 linkage to raise the rear. I have been watching ebay for a cheap one but the whole linkage is going for 50 to 70 dollars shipped. I figured I would ask on here before I buy one.

Cost $93.66 plus tax from the dealer. So sounds like the deal is on ebay. It will raise it just shy of an inch. It seems to change the linkage rate some to for the better.

Agreed, but I only ask because I know I have odds and ends off of my other bikes that are just sitting and I would never take the time to list them on ebay. Was just asking before I buy off ebay.

OP, did you ever install the 150F linkage on your 230F?  I too am looking for some additional height and would like to know how it turned out for you.  Pictures would be nice.

Cost $93.66 plus tax from the dealer. So sounds like the deal is on ebay. It will raise it just shy of an inch. It seems to change the linkage rate some to for the better.

When you say "change the rate for the better", what do you mean?

More of a rising rate as the shock gets compressed?

Not so sure replacing the 230F rocker with a 150F is such a good idea. I have to imagine it affects other things. Can someone that has done this mod chime in? And I'm no expert, but raising the rear with a taller rocker should not change the shock's rate, etc. You're simply pushing the swing arm downward by about an inch

Edited by mossman77

I have a 150F rocker in my 230, but I also have cr500 forks, both ends are up around 1.0"

my rear shock is stock and I like the affect the 150 rocker has on the overall rear performance.

but i'm at two-fiddy. a lighter rider might not care for the ride change as much !?

if you can wait, i'm currently looking for a new bike and I will want to swap my front and rear suspension bits for stock to put the bike back down for my daughter to ride.

Does someone that has done the rocker mod have a template and/or measurements for shaving the lower shock arm? Apparently there is interference. I dont know this firsthand, but saw a thread on another sight where someone had to shave a good amount off the shock for the 150F rocker to clear.

maybe its a bad photo, but that shock hole look a little elongated.

mossman77 > the crf150f rocker should bolt directly in without any modification.

When the 150 rocker is installed the shock clevis hits the crossbar on the linkage at full extension. Thus not allowing the suspension to fully extend. That picture was taken at a slight angel. That was how I made mine clear with the stock shock. When I installed my Hagon shock I removed material from the linkage until the shock didn't make contact cause I simply refused to grind on a brand new shock. Put your bike on a stand and you can see the contact.

• Like 1

Not a big deal. I can grind it down with my angle grinder. Someone said they were able to "file" it, but that doesn't seem feasible.

Edited by mossman77

Here is a picpost-255883-14153283319675_thumb.jpg

So looks like about 1/8" shaved off.  Did you happen to measure it?

Edited by mossman77

Cool.  Thanks.  If not, no big deal.  I'll just do the same.  Looks like the shaved part is just about in-line with the impression left by the rocker around the mounting hole, so that will be a good reference mark.

Just got through installing the 150F link on my '04 230F.  No clearance issues with the Hlebo shock whatsoever.  In fact, there is about 1/4" of clearance at full droop.  Also, the XR400 kickstand is a direct replacement.  I read a post stating that the bolt wasn't the right size--it's exactly the right size for my '04.  Apparently there are slight differences from year to year.  I'm liking the extra inch of height  :ride:

Edited by mossman77

Upon closer inspection, the XR400 stand is about 0.2" thicker than the stock 230F stand, but there is still plenty of thread for the nut to grab on to. I'll probably add some blue loctite just to be on the safe side.

Upon closer inspection, the XR400 stand is about 0.2" thicker than the stock 230F stand, but there is still plenty of thread for the nut to grab on to. I'll probably add some blue loctite just to be on the safe side.

Mossman - what year XR400 kickstand did you use?  Thanks