Rusty XR 400 frames , water and frame drainage holes

Hi, There are quite a few references to frame failure due to trapped water in XR frames. Does anyone have some images of where to drill holes in the frame, I know oil flows through the front section and want to be sure I am not going to drill in the wrong place. Please can we have some images and pros/cons of doing this mod.

cheers

Edited by oakframer

Discussions on drilling the drain holes.  The square tube in front is the only part carrying oil.  down below the engine, the two round tubes down each side need drain holes drilled around the lowest part...   somewhere near the footpeg area. 

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/960276-rusted-frames/?hl=+frame

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1000686-drain-holes-in-bottom-of-frame/?hl=%2Bframe#entry10502506

Good Luck!

Edited by n2omike

It is common practice to provide holes to release expanding gasses during welding otherwise the expanding gasses come out through the weld itself making it difficult to complete the weld.  I am suggesting this is the original purpose of the holes in the bottom of the frame.  I don't think these are drain holes.  

If these welding vent holes were sealed at the factory would there be an internal rust problem with these bikes?

I seemed to have an internal rust problem from the holes being left open, so I plugged all mine.

I seemed to have an internal rust problem from the holes being left open, so I plugged all mine.

Pictures like the ones in the posted links are from the area around the foot pegs and kick stand.  These are areas KNOWN to rust out in XR's.  There are NO drain holes in these areas, so water trapped here rusts the frame from the inside out.  You don't know there's a problem until kick stands break off, footpegs break loose, etc.  You can see from the posted pics that the rust is indeed coming from the inside out.

When I drilled those tubes on my bike, water ran out of the holes.  Drain holes allow the area to stay dry, so it doesn't rust. 

When I drilled those tubes on my bike, water ran out of the holes.  Drain holes allow the area to stay dry, so it doesn't rust. 

I'm not saying that drain holes aren't a good idea but do you have any idea where water enters the frame tubes other than a cracked frame? 

I'm not saying that drain holes aren't a good idea but do you have any idea where water enters the frame tubes other than a cracked frame? 

All I know, is you see plenty of pictures of frames rusted out around the footpegs and kick stand...  and they're rusting from the inside out.

Drain holes allow any water that does manage to make it in there to drain out, keep it dry, and prevent rust out.

this is the main question that needs to be answered before a definite conclusion can be made over the wisdom of drilling holes. ive never taken my frame apart and inspected it so i cant be sure, but it seems only logical that if the inside of the frame is totally sealed then there is no way for rust to begin developing from the inside. on my frame, the rust has eaten a small hole under the engine. that bottom section of the frame is already banged up a little from going over center dividers and things like that, so im guessing once the paint is scratched off and the frame gets wet it starts to rust from the outside until openings develop, then when that happens you start to get water trapped inside. i dont understand how else the water could get inside.

My 250 did not have a cracked frame.  Water still ran out.  A hole in the bottom of the frame will not hurt anything.  The only possible outcome is positive.

Good Luck

My 250 did not have a cracked frame.  Water still ran out.

i know thats what makes it bewildering. but im still convinced that the best option would be to find out how water gets in, and block it

Look at your frame right in front and above your kickstand mount and just in front of your rear master cylinder. That's where the water comes in. I duct tape mine off at wash time. And also a good place to spray some wd-40 on after a good wash. In my opinion don' be afraid to drill the holes, most likely water will be trapped in the cradle tubes.