Sign in to follow this  

Will Suzuki ever add basic stuff to the DRZ?

I find it amazing yet still so stupid that the DRZ from 00' till now did not change a bit, except for some really minor stuff.

We're in the 21st century, other bikes has improved alot.

I find it really annoying to ride without a fuel gauge and not to mention RPM gauge, those stuff are seriously the most basic things out there, I need to find out that im out of fuel by my bike shutting down in the middle of the highway, I mean seriously...

Edited by BlaCk ChaoS

The DRZ is not priced like other new 400 bikes, it's a very good value bike. 

It's a great platform to do mods on to make it suit your need, be it in performance or utility applications.

For the amount of money you save on buying the reliable DRZ, you could easily add anything (within a realistic realm) to cater for your needs.

For the fuel gauge, that's why there's a reserve. You hit reserve, you start looking for a fuel stop. With time, as you get to know your bike, you'll automatically know when it's about time to refuel.

If you want to see your RPM, a Trail Tech tach can be had for $38, if you don't like the idea of a separate tach, the Vapor can be had for $130, and will replace your whole dash.

If you "need" to find out that you are out of fuel by shutting down in the middle of the highway, you should s top riding... It's as simple as that. Eventually, I am sure, you will figure out that your peacock has Two settings that allow gas to flow (some even have THREE... GASP), one of which is called reserve. That is just for starters (beginners). Slightly more experienced riders watch their mileage and just magically KNOW when they need to fill up...

I give you the tach, though... although not important for survival, it would be nice to have.

If you "need" to find out that you are out of fuel by shutting down in the middle of the highway, you should s top riding... It's as simple as that. Eventually, I am sure, you will figure out that your peacock has Two settings that allow gas to flow (some even have THREE... GASP), one of which is called reserve. That is just for starters (beginners). Slightly more experienced riders watch their mileage and just magically KNOW when they need to fill up...

I give you the tach, though... although not important for survival, it would be nice to have.

I purchased the bike only last week, I never had a vehicle without a fuel guage, so its pretty hard getting used to it, I dont think I will stop riding because of that.

The DRZ is not priced like other new 400 bikes, it's a very good value bike. 

It's a great platform to do mods on to make it suit your need, be it in performance or utility applications.

For the amount of money you save on buying the reliable DRZ, you could easily add anything (within a realistic realm) to cater for your needs.

For the fuel gauge, that's why there's a reserve. You hit reserve, you start looking for a fuel stop. With time, as you get to know your bike, you'll automatically know when it's about time to refuel.

If you want to see your RPM, a Trail Tech tach can be had for $38, if you don't like the idea of a separate tach, the Vapor can be had for $130, and will replace your whole dash.

That depends on where, I bought my 2002 DRZ for 6550 dollars, 2009 models cost around 10k dollars in here.
Edited by BlaCk ChaoS
  • Like 1

Start adding things to the bike = cost alot more to buy. More things to go wrong more exspenive as dealers will have to do the work. Yes suzuki need to upgrade the thing but its a bike for noobs. Who dont know how to look after a bike. Unlike a ktm whats oil changes every 200miles thats not fun. Drz is simple and easy but damn! They need a 450 engine the 400 is gutless

I find it amazing yet still so stupid that the DRZ from 00' till now did not change a bit, except for some really minor stuff.

I find it really annoying to ride without a fuel gauge and not to mention RPM gauge, those stuff are seriously the most basic things out there, I need to find out that im out of fuel by my bike shutting down in the middle of the highway, I mean seriously...

welcome to the world of suzuki. 

here's how it works:

put duct tape over the display

ride the bike

when it needs switching to reserve, ok, do it and find a gas station in the next 15-20 miles

then

every other fillup, lube the chain lightly

then

every 10th fillup or so, change the oil

rinse and repeat, unless the duct tape falls off, then it's time for a timing chain and or valve shimming. so you've got like 25,000 more miles of fun, right ? ok

• Like 7

As it's been said, it's a great value bike. I have a the Vapor speed and tach which solves one issue and my bigger tank is semi-transparent so I can see the fuel level. If you want more options, look into a KLR. However, I know my DRZ400 can hang with a KLR on the roads and is easier to handle off road. It's all about what you want for yourself. 

It's a great platform for an all around bike. I use mine to go to work and around town, but like the occasional off road riding. I bought it with the above add-ons, as well as new sprockets and chain (dropped 6 teeth in the rear too) for $2,100. I added a Pelican Case to the back and that's all I needed for a well rounded, inexpensive, low maintenance cost motorcycle. 

• Like 1

yea it's annoying not having a fuel Gauge but just set one of the trips to zero when you fill it up see how far you can go and repeat. That's what works for me
  • Like 1

its really not that hard to get an idea of when you have to switch to reserve... that being said just reset the trip every fill up and keep an eye on the mileage... also not being too rude i did plenty of research on the bike before i bought it... if you didnt like that it doesnt have "basic features" then why even consider buying it in the first place!? 

That depends on where, I bought my 2002 DRZ for 6550 dollars, 2009 models cost around 10k dollars in here.

I hear if you buy one on the West Bank it comes with a rocket launcher.

• Like 2

and wait a second here your complaining about not having modern basic features and yet the bike you bought is a 2002!?!?!?! now granted my 2013 is the same as the older ones but still... lol 

• Like 1

The trip meter is your fuel gauge, and your ears are the tachometer. Simple, just the way I like it.

totally agree mate!

If I was paying $7 - 10K for my DRZ I'd probably want a few more "basics" too. I ride a plated "E" & appreciate my clean dashboard although I'm not legal to ride the streets of my city after dark. :naughty:  I'm back on the trails after a lengthy hiatus from the dirt for under $2K on a great machine & am too busy dodging trees & boulders to have time to monitor too many instruments but a temperature idiot light would be nice on my "E". I'd take that 450 mentioned by Supermotomad1 over all the "basics" mentioned here.....but not for $10K. Best of luck learning the art of gas-guessing & enjoy your new Dizzer!  :ride:

• Like 1

yea it's annoying not having a fuel Gauge but just set one of the trips to zero when you fill it up see how far you can go and repeat. That's what works for me

Yeh, I do the same thing, except with my GPS.....I know I get so many miles per gallon, I always know how many miles I've gone......Someone mentioned a temp gauge, that might be handy, same for a tach, but they are reasonable aftermarket items.

When I first got the DRZ I ran the petcock in the "ON" position and then went to reserve when it started to sputter, but I did not like the idea of starving the bike for fuel if I happened to be running 65 or 70 at the time.  So, I ride with the petcock set to reserve and use my trip mileage to monitor the distance.  My daily ride is 100 miles so I fill up once a day.  I have also found that there is a little "extra" reserve available if needed... (I have only done this 2 times in 70K miles...) the bike started to run out of gas on "Reserve" so I stopped and layed the bike over on the left side until it almost touched the ground, there is enough fuel from the right side of the tank to take you a couple of additional miles...  :thumbsup:

Keep it simple guys, it's basically a dirt bike... Save all the bells and whistles for the guys on the Gold Wings...

• Like 3

its really not that hard to get an idea of when you have to switch to reserve... that being said just reset the trip every fill up and keep an eye on the mileage... also not being too rude i did plenty of research on the bike before i bought it... if you didnt like that it doesnt have "basic features" then why even consider buying it in the first place!? 

Why did I consider buying it in the first place?

Its the only motorbike in my license grade that has so much power.

Besides, its a DRZ, an old dream of mine :)

I hear if you buy one on the West Bank it comes with a rocket launcher.

Right...

and wait a second here your complaining about not having modern basic features and yet the bike you bought is a 2002!?!?!?! now granted my 2013 is the same as the older ones but still... lol 

In my main message I was actually asking about the newer models such as yours, I can understand why 2002 motorbike wont have some of these basic features, but an 2013 motorbike, a fuel gauge and RPM gauge is really basic comparing to other bikes out there.

i hear ya... im not too concerned about it cause judging how much fuel is left is simple and rpms like stated earlier can be determined by the ear... unless you need precise measurement of rpms for some certain reason... but yeh another thing is like people said if suzuki starts changing the drz the price is going to go up with those changes...

Why did I consider buying it in the first place?

Its the only motorbike in my license grade that has so much power.

Besides, its a DRZ, an old dream of mine :)

Right...

In my main message I was actually asking about the newer models such as yours, I can understand why 2002 motorbike wont have some of these basic features, but an 2013 motorbike, a fuel gauge and RPM gauge is really basic comparing to other bikes out there.

On a street bike maybe but on a dedicated dirt bike the dash is already too big and prone to damage in a crash.

Any half decent rider can get by fine without a tacho, do you think I'm checking my revs when flashing down a fire trail @ WOT or negotiating a gnarly single track?

Even on my street bike, I reset my trip meter every fill up and calculate my fuel range by that.

Typical in this day and age, as the gadgets and machinery get smarter the user gets dumber. :foul:

On a street bike maybe but on a dedicated dirt bike the dash is already too big and prone to damage in a crash.

Any half decent rider can get by fine without a tacho, do you think I'm checking my revs when flashing down a fire trail @ WOT or negotiating a gnarly single track?

Even on my street bike, I reset my trip meter every fill up and calculate my fuel range by that.

Typical in this day and age, as the gadgets and machinery get smarter the user gets dumber. :foul:

I get along well without a tacho, since all of my vehicles so far were manual gear.

Its just sometimes on the highway when reaching around 95 - 100 km/h (~60 mph) I feel like im going over the limit, really uncomfortable so I just have those moments that I'm curious on whats my RPM right now, nothing more, I have absolutley no problem riding without it, its just sometimes I'm just curious, thats it.

• Like 1