Sign in to follow this  

'83 XR500r slipping in & out in 3rd gear at higher rpms

Hello, picked up this decent '83 xr500 a couple of months ago and have been noticing that in 3rd gear, when I accelerate really hard, the bike kinda shudders in and out of gear or something is slipping. I haven't really noticed it in any other gears, of course 1st and 2nd I'm not in very long and haven't had enough room to get to the top of 4th. Just wondering if it is clutch slippage or something with 3rd gear itself. It does have a new chain and sprockets and the engine is tight, just dont' want to dump more money into it if the problem is something other than just rebuilding the clutch. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sounds like the clutch, but if theres any mechanical banging or clunking, its an internal tranny problem.

3rd gear common death. You'll need a shift fork and two gears(gear dogs are gone). But when your in there look at all the other gears,i'd bet they all are about done.

3rd gear common death. You'll need a shift fork and two gears(gear dogs are gone). But when your in there look at all the other gears,i'd bet they all are about done.

Yep, that was the end of mine - kept slipping in and out of 3rd - needed gearbox work after I rode it for 15 years.  So I sold it and got a 96 XR600 - not any lighter, but faster! And better suspension.  Sure wish I had the old girl back though - the most reliable bike I ever owned.