Sign in to follow this  

Need Help Jetting CRF230L (not F)

Hello all,

I'm trying to help a buddy out who has an '08 crf230l.I did a little research for him and advised him to go with the "Coeshow" setup over the "power up kit," and get the '03-'05 needle, 120 main, and 48 pilot for riding at/around sea level with a removed airbox snorkel and exhaust baffle (the baffle is different on the "L") 

The issue is that the 230"L" carb is not the same as the "F" carb. The needle is way shorter (still not adjustable), and the jet (at least main) is a different style (smaller round style, possible 116 series?). 

Is it still advisable to use the 120 and 48 jetting combo with his stock needle? Do people shim this style needle, or is there an aftermarket available?

Any help is appreciated.

-Alex

Thanks for the info. Is it a similar enough carb that the same jet recommended jet sizes will work, and I can just buy the needle and those jets, or should I tell him to buy the whole kit and do it the right way?

-Alex

Thanks for the info. Is it a similar enough carb that the same jet recommended jet sizes will work, and I can just buy the needle and those jets, or should I tell him to buy the whole kit and do it the right way?

-Alex

buy the kit.  jet it richer all the way across.

it is possible that a washer or two under the clip will get you to ware you need to be, tough for an un-experienced guy to figure out

Hi, i am curently running a 38 pilot, 128 main, 1 shim on the needl, it runs well with this set up, Fuel screw is at 2 turns out, 2,500  elevation. i am considering trying a 130 main, i also put 1 extra hole in the airbox lid, Hope this helps, Jim

I pulled my carb apart tonight and found 35/118 which I believe is stock?    I'm at 5,000 feet and frequently ride 8,000-12,000 in the summer.   Any recommendations on what to go with?     It actually runs pretty good now, a hair lean but not bad.     Thanks

I pulled my carb apart tonight and found 35/118 which I believe is stock?    I'm at 5,000 feet and frequently ride 8,000-12,000 in the summer.   Any recommendations on what to go with?     It actually runs pretty good now, a hair lean but not bad.     Thanks

http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/4448

I have an after market exhaust and removed the smog kit.

I did the stage one set-up. Above 5000 feet I remove the air box lid. The lid is on below 5000 feet. 

I have the mixture screw at 2 turns out, 122 main and e-clip in groove #3.

Has anyone ordered from www.jetsrus.com?    I can order individual jets much cheaper and likely come up with a more inclusive jet kit, I just don't know how to identify which needle I need?   They do have a shim kit, does that do the same thing as moving the clip position on the needle?    

Has anyone ordered from www.jetsrus.com?    I can order individual jets much cheaper and likely come up with a more inclusive jet kit, I just don't know how to identify which needle I need?   They do have a shim kit, does that do the same thing as moving the clip position on the needle?    

The Dynojet kit comes with an adjustable needle. I tried shimming the stock needle and it works better than stock but not as good as the

Dyno needle. Realistically though, you  may need to lower the needle. My kit came with a tool to adj. mixture screw. That will

probably need to be adjusted as well.

You can NOT use the carb tuning advice for an F it uses a different carburetor.

Edited by atown8605