Sign in to follow this  

Washington Dilemma?

I currently ride a 04 ttr250, its a good solid reliable bike but I recenlty bought my son a kx125. I've ridden around and like how light it is and the power, was tryn to decide if i should get rid of the ttr and find an older 250 2 stroke. Like i said i like the power and how light they are, and there are a lot more aftermarket parts for them and they are more "Tuneable". I Dont Know, just been throwing around the idea. Im not the best rider, been in and out of the sport my whole life, but now both my sons are into bikes and its alot more fun. Just wanting some more opions, thanks

You will suddenly miss the e start and the kick stand not to mention the easy tractable power. Try a WR 250. I love it and use to ride 2 stokes back in the day and I like 250's over 450's

You will suddenly miss the e start and the kick stand not to mention the easy tractable power. Try a WR 250. I love it and use to ride 2 stokes back in the day and I like 250's over 450's

2 strokes are very very easy to kick start so no issue missing the e start, and they are way easier to work on engine wise.  look at getting a kdx200 or a ktm 200 and you will be blown away at how much better they are compared to the heavy, slow ttr250.  both have kickstands too :thumbsup:  :ride:

Joe

• Like 1

2 strokes are very very easy to kick start so no issue missing the e start, and they are way easier to work on engine wise.  look at getting a kdx200 or a ktm 200 and you will be blown away at how much better they are compared to the heavy, slow ttr250.  both have kickstands too :thumbsup:  :ride:

Joe

Joe is right on here. The KTM 200 has better suspension compaired to the KDX but both of those bikes are super easy to ride, start, and maintain.

Joe is right on here. The KTM 200 has better suspension compaired to the KDX but both of those bikes are super easy to ride, start, and maintain.

+1

I once bought a TTR 225 I got a smoking deal on thinking I would keep it as a buddy or wife bike and would sell my old XR200.  I was so underwhelmed by the TTR that I ended up selling it and keeping the 10 year older XR200.  I haven't owned a KTM 200 but they are great bikes that win enduros around the world.  The YZ-250 is a great bike, but can definitely bite you if you are not careful. I owned an older 1995 WR250 2 stroke that was a wicked fast although a little outdated. Wish I had spent some money on the suspension and kept the damn thing as they are a revered bike that gets snatched up pretty quickly when they come up for sale,  but it was a handful for my ability at the time so I bought a 2001 WR250F four stroke.  It is a great bike.  I opened mine up with a Hot Cam and some of the free mods which were easy to do.  They have earned a great reputation for their reliability and while it isn't the strongest on the bottom, it will pull power wheelies in third gear and revs to the moon.  I recently moved on to a KTM 300 EXC which I really love, but there are situations where I still prefer the WR250F.  If you are going to go 4 stroke there are quite a few of them out there.  I don't think you could go wrong with the KTM 200 or the WR.  At any rate, just about anything will be a step up from the TTR. 

Husqvarna WR125 is an oft overlooked bike. Remarkably capable and fits taller folk well.

And there is always options of turning a 125 into a 144 if your worried about power.   With the husky, you can go one step further and get a 165 kit, which lugs my 220lb ass up whatever I point it at...

never thought about getting a 125, Im 260lbs, dont know if 125 would work for me. ill have to look into it

never thought about getting a 125, Im 260lbs, dont know if 125 would work for me. ill have to look into it

How much money do you have to spend and what color do you like? 260lbs, yea i have been there! In my opinion your going to want a bike with more low end power. Try and find a ktm 300 xc-w.

A late model 250 xc-w has plenty of beans.....just made the transition from an 04 KTM 525EXC and the fun factor is much higher than before plus not nearly as tired / can ride a lot longer.

I race vintage open bikes. I ride a 2000 KTM 300 EXC on the trails. It is just a magic bike. Light enough weight, will climb just about anything and constantly amazes me on what it does. It makes me look good. The 200 or 250, would just be lighter and more flickable. Probably upping the smile factor.

And oh, I am 240 nekkid.

Edited by cosmocar

Didn't notice you were 260 pounds.  I don't think the WR250F would do it for you. +1 on the KTM 300, especially after riding it in the Webfoot Enduro over the weekend.  I like it a little more every time I ride it, and plenty of low end grunt for a big guy.  I only weigh 155, but I'm sure it could pull 2 of me around.