Sign in to follow this  

You would think changing the plastic chain guide would be easy

It's been about a month since I noticed the plastic chain guide on my swingarm sticking out sideways.  I figured it just came loose on the top screw, so just sort of pushed it back into place.  I only had to ride it about a mile before it was sticking out the side again.  Closer examination showed that it had worn right through the plastic about where the frame blocks my view of it.

So I went to the local cycle shop and ordered a new one.

And then I waited.  And waited.  Finally yesterday I stopped in there and asked them to figure out where it was and they discovered that it had gotten "lost" in the back room the last time they reorganized things there.  It's a good thing I like those guys and am willing to overlook mistakes like that.

So this morning I'm figuring that I just need to loosen two screws, yank the old one out, slide the new one in place and I'm done.  Shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes, right?

Wrong!  The screw on the top of the swingarm was difficult to get out, but with the help of my Craftsman impact screwdriver it wasn't too tough.  The one on the bottom didn't want to budge.  I didn't even try using a normal Phillips screwdriver on it, but I couldn't get it to move.  So I rolled the bike out of my garage and laid it down on the lawn so I could get a better angle on that screw and it wasn't going to budge for anything.  I finally got my drill out and a special tungsten drill bit and drilled through the screw.  Okay, the old guide is now out.  Then I finally got to try out the tap and die set that I got from Harbor Freight (really cheap) to clean up the threads.  After a trip to the hardware store for some M5 screws, I'm ready to stick the new one on.

I figured that the only other issue was finding some blue Loctite to make sure that they wouldn't fall out later.  I have a box full of tubes of various kinds of adhesives with probably 40 different tubes of stuff in there.  One of them was red Loctite (the real strong stuff), which I definitely didn't want, then a really old tube of medium blue stuff.  It was kind of watery and I don't know how well it will work, but I used it.

Thinking I was just about done I noticed that I only had one of those little metal pieces that hold the plastic guide into place.  What did I do, drop it in the grass?  So I'm looking through the grass and all up and down my driveway - which I had rinsed off, potentially washing the little part away.  No little metal piece.  I next checked back in the garage and in my tool chest; everywhere I had touched anything.  Nothing.  Finally I thought to check the old plastic part and I had never removed it from the bottom opening, so I finally had everything.  Two more minutes and it was installed and about five minutes after that I had put everything away and was finally ready to ride the thing.

So now I just need to go ride the bike and work out my frustration.  I always seem to underestimate how much work it will be fixing "minor" things on a motorcycle.

ohh the front  drive chain slider

I was thinking you were talking about the rear chain guide  and after just dealing with mine  and the non fitting XR's only unit

i couldn't figure out your trouble 

I probably need to order on of those up myself to have on hand

I forgot to mention that it has an hour and a half total to get that thing installed and clean up after.

But I rode 50 miles on it and feel much better now.  I discovered that I can only go about 75 mph into a head wind, but 85 is easy with a tail wind. ;)

And I got back home before the rain clouds caught me, so all is good now.

On my Xl you need to take the swingarm off the bike to change it . I thought the XR600 swingarm I recently put on it also needed to be taken off to replace it because they wrap around the pivot tube. I think there are 2 versions, I have three of them and 2 are the same and the third ('94 ?) is different but just how they are secured.

Edit: I bet your talking about a 650, huh. :cry:  :blush:

Edited by jjktmrider

well I looked at mine at it's split where it wraps ( u )  around the arm  all the other sliders are OK  and it sure looks like the swing arm slider  should just slip in ?

I will soon see

so looks  I am dumping 40 bucks  to bad TT is more than most sites price wise 

Edited by Zimman

to bad TT is more than most sites price wise 

Be sure to do all the math when shopping around, a lot of times the TT store has a better Out The Door price because it may have better shipping prices and they also do price match.

Be sure to do all the math when shopping around, a lot of times the TT store has a better Out The Door price because it may have better shipping prices and they also do price match.

not even close to what I can get it for at many other places  the only time I can get it back down to normal is if I spend 99 bucks and get the free usps shipping

and have a coupon code   I didn't have any discount codes this time  but I did spent 99 bucks to get the shipping

still all items were more $  and I don't have time to call and get price match I am far to busy posting useless chit on multiple forums

I just paid over  40 bucks for that stupid swing arm slider from them  and I could have had it for much less

TT store                                                                                                   [52170-MN1-681] SLIDER, CHAIN @                                                       $41.57

honda parts direct

(52170-MN1-681) MOTORCYCLES $45.80 $35.01

Apache Honda near Me             

(52170-MN1-681) MOTORCYCLES $45.80 $34.01

another Honda place 

52170-MN1-681   SLIDER, CHAIN

$34.35

I had it down to 26 bucks  but the place was east coast  and free ship was 225.00  min  or some crazy amount

I support Bryan and theTT store as much as possible. Tom

i"ve tried twice to support this great site by buying parts. But the process was so goofy and not straight forward that I gave up and bought elsewhere. And I buy a lot of stuff online.

Don't know if they've cleaned it up, but they needed too.  JMO

On my Xl you need to take the swingarm off the bike to change it

Well good news  since you had me concerned  LOL

I just replaced  my chain glide   ( picture for reference ) along with the rear  sprocket guide 

and with the bike on a stand swing arm at a droop   the glide just slips rite in  with just the cs sprocket cover removed

I also had the small lower glide ( small snubber near the CS)  off at the time  since I replaced that also

$(KGrHqZ,!lIFBKPLZMs9BQiYU5uEOg~~60_57.J

Edited by Zimman

Dude, thats a funny story.  Reminds me of the last time I replaced the fork on my mountain bike.

Cable housing was too short with the new bars, but i couldn't wait to ride it.  So with the derailer loose

I took it for a spin around the block... Woo Hoo... bunny hops... wheelies all around the neighborhood....

Oh, and its 9:30 or 10:00 pm, now back to work.  Oh look, the little nut on the derailer, you know the special one

that has an inverted hex, 3/8 tall and only comes with a new derailer... ya.... its on the ground somewhere around the block.

10:30 pm, man walking around the block with a flash light because he wants to ride tomorow morning. I ended up finding it too

after about a half hour.  Never found the plate that pinches the cable though.

ya.... its on the ground somewhere around the block. 10:30 pm, man walking around the block with a flash light because he wants to ride tomorow morning. I ended up finding it too after about a half hour.

That's amazing that you found a small part like that.  I can't even do that in my own garage.

I noticed that my LED tail light was flickering in time with the engine, so I finally took it out to have a look - one wire was broken in a spot really hard to get to with a soldering iron.  And then I managed to drop the smallest nut anywhere on the bike.  I felt it bounce off of my toe.  I grabbed a flashlight, looking for shadows and never did find it last night.

So this morning as I was getting ready to leave on the KTM I saw not only that nut, but one other one and a washer that I didn't even know I had "lost".  It isn't cheap to get a replacement tail light that includes a white light to illuminate the license plate.  I found something that should work for $30.  Should have it tomorrow, then with a small amount of "redneck engineering" I should be back with a street legal bike again.

Anytime a very small part you were trying not to lose slips, and bounces off your toe....

In my experience, it tends to accelerate beyond the possibility of physics into another dimension.

At least that what it feels like when you have the worst luck in the world.

I noticed you live in Folsom, you ever get up to Elkins/Goldnote ? (Cool dirtbike venue)

I have a buddy in Pollock Pines, and used to live in Auburn when I was in school.

Now I'm in the bay area workin' though...

I noticed you live in Folsom, you ever get up to Elkins/Goldnote ? (Cool dirtbike venue)

Never heard of either one.  Give me a bigger hint.  Like where is it at?  What is it?

Up Highway 88, Elkins/Goldnote OHV area.  Nice park, dusty in the summer though.

I dont know if this link will work:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsbdev7_018824.pdf

I ride A LOT in the Sierra's, recently up near Verdi Peak, and out in NV up to Peavine.

Thanks.  Now I have one more place on my list that I need to ride.

I've been to the Foresthill area, on my KTM, but didn't ride the trails.  I've ridden Georgetown a couple of times.

I'll have to go to Elkins Flat too.

LOL, So many times I wished I'd thought to sweep the floor BEFORE I started taking off little tiny parts.  

Or to spread some sort of cloth out under the bike BEFORE a tiny part lands in the grass. :banghead: