Proper jumping technique?

Hi, i ride a Cr 125 & have been riding for a year now. I've never ridden a track but I will be going for the first time in a couple days.

I ride at a local spot and there is a small jump that I've tried out a couple times but every time i hit it I bounce over the handle bars and dont get much air due to fear of flying off over the handlebars each time. So i'm wondering what causes that & how I could prevent that from happening?

What position should I be in? What gear? Should I be in the powerband or short shift? 

I would like to know everything I can about jumping!

Any tips I could get would be very helpful because I dont want any trouble jumping when I ride the track! thanks guys!

Only attempt ski jumps and small table tops don't get to crazy or you will get hurt.

Here's the short version cause I'm on my phone, stand up keep your weight centered over the bike, and use smooth throttle control up the face of the jump, let off just before you get to the lip. If you let off to early, you will endo and your going over the bars, if you hold the throttle open too long your going nose high and risk falling off the back or slamming your face on the bars when you come down. Take it easy and don't get too crazy or you won't be riding for a while

What's helped me is, keeping my throttle smooth approaching the jump. It's helped keep the bike level. Also. A good control for me was going mountain biking and just getting used to throwing the bike around and making adjustments prior to landing. Because riding my bike before I was real stiff. As far as bucking you over the handle bars. It sounds like its a real small jump that your front wheel is already in the air before your back tire hits the bottom of the jump so it compresses so fast it shoots the rear end up. But when you go to the track get comfortable first and do try to clear anything right away. Get used to what your bike will do on the jumps and remember not all jumps Are the same.

make sure the jumps you start out on have long gradual faces.  you might tend to find smaller jumps to play on thinking they are safer but if that face is short you wont have the skill to not go over the bars.

do a search. Everything you want to know about jumping has been covered too many times.

Edited by Die_trying

keep your weight center.

keep the throttle consistent and smooth as you go off the jump.

Get speed before you approach the jump, that way you can shift up a gear before the lip. Short shifting can help because you don't want to be high in the powerband when you are learn to jump.

Confidence really helps, but of coarse it will take a little time to get there. Just start off small and work your way up. 

Also if you haven't already, set your sag. if your sag isn't set it could cause a whole bunch of problems for you when you try to jump your bike. 

Hi, i ride a Cr 125 & have been riding for a year now. I've never ridden a track but I will be going for the first time in a couple days.

I ride at a local spot and there is a small jump that I've tried out a couple times but every time i hit it I bounce over the handle bars and dont get much air due to fear of flying off over the handlebars each time. So i'm wondering what causes that & how I could prevent that from happening?

What position should I be in? What gear? Should I be in the powerband or short shift? 

I would like to know everything I can about jumping!

Any tips I could get would be very helpful because I dont want any trouble jumping when I ride the track! thanks guys!

The most important part of the jump is where the bike actually leaves the ground, where you have the compression and rebound part of the jump.  What gives you control at this critical part of the jump is your body movements and throttle control.  Along with this body movement and throttle control is timing.  The timing is so critical that the body movement and throttle control has to be an automatic reflex reaction.  This is why it takes so much time and practice to learn to jump well.   Key into the compressing and rebound part of the jump, move your body back a little as the rear wheel kicks up and blip the throttle a little at the same time.  This will cause the front wheel to stay level or come up a little.  If the front wheel is too high don’t move back as much or give it as much throttle.  If you want the front end lower it’s just the opposite; don’t blip the throttle as much and don’t move back as much.  When you want to accelerate after the landing it’s best to land with the throttle on. I have 3 Technique DVDs that cover Jumping and Whoops, there's one http://www.gsmxs.com/dvds/volume-3/dvd-6-motocross-basic-jumping-techniques. You can see free Motocross Technique DVD previews of these and many others at: www.motocrossdvds.com

VP-2011-Everything copy.jpg

The most important part of the jump is where the bike actually leaves the ground, where you have the compression and rebound part of the jump. What gives you control at this critical part of the jump is your body movements and throttle control. Along with this body movement and throttle control is timing. The timing is so critical that the body movement and throttle control has to be an automatic reflex reaction. This is why it takes so much time and practice to learn to jump well. Key into the compressing and rebound part of the jump, move your body back a little as the rear wheel kicks up and blip the throttle a little at the same time. This will cause the front wheel to stay level or come up a little. If the front wheel is too high don’t move back as much or give it as much throttle. If you want the front end lower it’s just the opposite; don’t blip the throttle as much and don’t move back as much. When you want to accelerate after the landing it’s best to land with the throttle on. I have 3 Technique DVDs that cover Jumping and Whoops, there's one http://www.gsmxs.com/dvds/volume-3/dvd-6-motocross-basic-jumping-techniques. You can see free Motocross Technique DVD previews of these and many others at: www.motocrossdvds.com

The Gary bot!!