Sign in to follow this  

Destroyed case today, what's the prognosis

I destroyed my case today at Canada's toughest enduro race, the corduroy enduro. Fluke crash into a rock in the grass track section. Anyhow, engine never died and I rode it out the last 500m to the road. You could here there was something wrong with the bike so I checked at the end of the test section and sure enough this giant hole was in my case. So here is the question. Repair method. A)definitely need a new case but b)what further preventative measures are needed to make sure no metal in engine. I've asked around at the race and the consensus seems to be the transfer line/port between case and engine sump is small and flushing case to drain plug should clean out any small particles. Thoughts?

Remove the valve cover, inspect the cam journals. Repair the damage. Fresh oil/filter. Run the bike for 15 minutes gently (listen for abnormal sounds), drain the oil through a coffee filter.

• Like 1

I'm slightly pissed at my gytr skid plate. It folded right in to allow the hit. Yes I know nothing is perfect and if I had of stayed on my bike no issue but my old flatlands racing skid plate was way better. To bad they quit making them for Yamaha. I need to get my next one extended I see.

I bet there is no internal damage to the motor.

A new sidecover and your on your way.

The Flatlander stuff was the best protection.

I bet there is no internal damage to the motor.

A new sidecover and your on your way.

The Flatlander stuff was the best protection.

I'm no expert here but my thought is if this is where I add the oil and now there is high probability that magnesium(albeit, it's soft) was inside the oil area, would there not be metal in the engine? I'm not that involved in the internal passages of the engine so it's possible it's strained or so small of passage all the metal will be in the bottom of the cover. My thought is take the cover off, check I out. Drain oil and pour oil through bottom end out the drain plug for a bit and slap her back together. Anybody this this is a really bad idea?

skid plates dont protect that....a bash plate (ie has wings) might have

ouchie!

I understand skid plate is for skidding but my old skid plate from flatlands was I guess a hybrid bash plate then. Any suggestions on bash plate manufactures while I continue to learn how to stay on two wheels going fast!!!

I have had clutch plates break.  when I finally split the cases probably at least a 100 hours later the pieces collected in the sump below the oil pump screen.  That is where any pieces that you could not get out will end up.  You can see that area by removing the broken ingnition cover and the large case cover on the othe side of the motor,not the smaller clutch cover.  I doubt you could get anything out of the sump though.  Good luck not that big a peoblem