Sign in to follow this  

Compress front brake caliper pistons?

I use my fingers. It should not be that hard to move.

I agree. If you do chose to use a tool, don't put the tool directly on the piston. Put an old pad in place first and then squeeze.

I've got both pads in and tried pushing with my fingers, even opened up the bleed valve but it wouldn't budge. I'll try some vices and see what happens.

Just like the other guys use a big screwdriver with your old pads or use a very large set of channel locks

Edited by hithebrakes

You've got the lid on the master cylinder off?

+1 for fingers, especially if you just cleaned it.  Shouldn't take too much effort to move them.

I took the cap off my master cylinder once, went inside for dinner, came back out and the pistons would not compress in my brake caliper!!  So I grabbed the c-clamp.  Pushed those suckers in, next thing I know DOT 4 brake fluid is spraying all over my head.. 

I took the cap off the clutch master cylinder, so using the c-clamp I ruptured the diaphragm in the brake's master cyl and fluid went a-flying.  Lesson learned.  Had to buy a new rubber diaphragm. DOOHHH!!!

• Like 1

Should be doable with fingers. Use both of your thumbs to push in one piston, then do the other, then back, etc.