Sign in to follow this  

George Erl contact? trouble with his rebuild!

Anyone know how to getahold of George?  Is he still at his shop in santa Ana?    He did a rebuilt on my 450 TE ,  took 2 years to get the right parts!  anyway,  once i got it back, it started up, i rode it for 5 minutes.  started it again the nextday,  rode it for 10 minutes.  and now it wount start.  essentially the stater cannot turn over the motor!  I pull the compression release,  it rolls up,  but let go the comp release, and it stops cranking.  With a boot on i can barely kick it,  and I'm laying on it , all 220 lbs. 

Ifigured weak battery,  switched to a 5 ah turntech.  same deal turns the motor till release the comp lever. stops right there if i push the starter button,  it will go through 1/2 or 1 cycle,  but thats it.

So can a starter get "weak"  and how would you test that?

working hypothesisis that the rings seated and the think has great compression,  but If I can't get the motor to turn over,  I can't ride it.

I guess it is possible that the auto compressionrelease got fubar,  but if that were the case,  could i kick it over?

Of course after all this hits,  George has to go through that Husky screw job.  So I am hoping someone here has some advise,  and someone here knows how to get back in touch with George.

Carl;

I'll give you a call soon as find your #.

If it turns over with manual decomp but not without it could be auto decomp is not functuning.

DO NOT try to kick it without auto decomp working, can break cases.

Must use the manual decomp.

Later george

Carl;

I'll give you a call soon as find your #.

If it turns over with manual decomp but not without it could be auto decomp is not functuning.

DO NOT try to kick it without auto decomp working, can break cases.

Must use the manual decomp.

Later george

Be sure and check the exhaust cam timing, if it's off by 1 tooth, the auto decompressor does not bleed off enough compression to start it, won't turn over.  It happened to me, bike ran great but I moved the exhaust cam 1 tooth and it still ran great AND it would start.

Edited by OlderHuskyRider

and now it wount start.  essentially the stater cannot turn over the motor!  I pull the compression release,  it rolls up,  but let go the comp release, and it stops cranking.  With a boot on i can barely kick it,  and I'm laying on it , all 220 lbs. 

Can you pull the cam chest cover and put the bike at TDC and then take a pic of the cams like this one?

HuskyCamPositionFinal_zps165450a3.jpg

Yeah, i can do that.  Just to update,  talked with george yesterday,  he wants me to try a more powerfull battery first to try and isolate the issue. So first of all the clown at turntech sold me the wrong battery -  thanks for that 100 dollar mistake, apparently a 5ah battery is not sufficent for that bike.   turntech told me the battery i needed -  apparently the experts -  were not so expert in my case.  however -  to their credit,  they did stiff me for 100 buck battery!  so they got what they needed!   Maybe that 5ah will turn the estart on my KTM 300 -  so it may not be a complete waste.

anyway late last night,  in between my running of olive processing batches,  i put on a battery charger running at 75 amp "art" mode, ran it directly to the starter - starter buzzed,  but actually got one turn in,  maybe slightly better than with the original battery.    So this afternoon,. i will put on the 800CCA battery out of my truck and see if i can turn it over with that.  If not,  pretty good bet it is the autodecompress.  but if it turns it,  it tells me its Ok and just needs a better battery.

In the mean time i will pull those covers and get that photo ,  it may help diagnose!

On my bike, I thought it was the auto decompressor too, it wasn't...... there not much to wrong with the auto decompress

yeah,OHR,   I am leaning that way.  george pulled the work order,  and he looked at the autocompress lobe, and it looked OK,  so he didn't fool with it.  we will get this figured out.  i suspect it is excellent compression needing a big time jolt to get it going!

Edited by carl johansson

I wouldn't put any bigger electrical device on it, if the cam timing is off, you will be trying to turn over alot of PSI and something could get damaged.  Verify the cam timing first before trying to force it.  

Edited by OlderHuskyRider