Sign in to follow this  

Replacing bent spokes?

Wassup guys, I just bought an 00' cr250 & when i was going over the bike i noticed 2 slightly bent spokes (dnt look bad) next to each other.I got the replacing price at 105 for truing included or $66 just for replacement or $4ea for spokes. I was wondering would it effect my riding? & would i need the wheel trued ? Im a newb so im not educated in replacing them if the truing is not needed. Thanks ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1379804859.442327.jpg

just replace the bent spokes yourself and snug them up. Search youtube for a vid on how to tighten spokes and you'll be fine.

• Like 1

I'd say if you can swing the cash then get it trued. While you can just simply install the new ones and tighten them I can bet that the rest of the wheel isn't tru just based on the age of the bike. This is something most people over look and a messed up wheel can be dangerous. Truing a wheel is an art in itself and isn't something the average joe can or will do in their garage. But with all that said if you were to spend the 8 bucks for new spokes, did all the work yourself, and just ride trails you may not ever have a problem. If your not familiar with removing the wheel and tire you probably should just let the professional do it and get back to riding.

I'd say if you can swing the cash then get it trued. While you can just simply install the new ones and tighten them I can bet that the rest of the wheel isn't tru just based on the age of the bike. This is something most people over look and a messed up wheel can be dangerous. Truing a wheel is an art in itself and isn't something the average joe can or will do in their garage. But with all that said if you were to spend the 8 bucks for new spokes, did all the work yourself, and just ride trails you may not ever have a problem. If your not familiar with removing the wheel and tire you probably should just let the professional do it and get back to riding.

Ehh, I laced my first wheel at 14 or 15. Took it to the honda dealer to get it trued and they over tightened the spokes. I had two pop the very next ride. Ended up replacing the broken ones and loosening the rest and retrued myself. Learning how to do it yourself is a hell of a lot better than paying ~$65/hr for shaky quality.

150rsp.jpg

Also, check the rim for cracks

Edited by honda53

just replace the bent spokes yourself and snug them up. Search youtube for a vid on how to tighten spokes and you'll be fine.

That was my problem, with finding a vid on how to replace the bent spokes, is it just simply loosening the nipple & pulling the spoke through the hub ,then put it back in with the new one ?

That was my problem, with finding a vid on how to replace the bent spokes, is it just simply loosening the nipple & pulling the spoke through the hub ,then put it back in with the new one ?

yep, once you get them replaced and snugged up followed this vid on how to tighten them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLhONxt9Zi8

yep, once you get them replaced and snugged up followed this vid on how to tighten them.

Do i have to take off the inner tube, the wheel & etc in order to replace them ?

No, you can leave the nipple in the rim and maybe the wheel on the bike if you have room to work the spoke out of the hub.