Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

broke my shift drum bolt off.... now what

Recommended Posts

well my dr350 has been shifting funny and just like you read on the forum.... the shift bolt was loose. so I take it out and put lock tight on it so it don't come loose again. but I broke the thing off while trying to tighten it. my Clymer says 18 pounds but my wrench only goes to 20. stupid me thought it would be ok.  the tiny little bolt could not handle it and now I have a problem. I am going to try the bolt extractor kit tomorrow and hope for the best. any ideas???? any advise?  I am pretty bummed out to say the least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well where theres a will theres a way thats what i say lol  with the lock tight being on there its not going to be fun at all ....is there any part of the shoulder of the bolt sticking out or did it snap off flush? are u talking about the bolt that holds the shifter onto the spline?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

o god no that would be too easy. I am talking about the bolt that is located behind the clutch and holds the internal shift parts on. I am inside the engine. and its flush by the way. if it was the shift lever I would not be drowning my sorrows lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ouch lol ugh that sucks man never had any good luck with the screw extractors maybe im not using it right but ive had better luck with smaller flush bolts with using good set of carbide tipped drill bits start small and work it out and tap again good luck let me know how it goes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

o god no that would be too easy. I am talking about the bolt that is located behind the clutch and holds the internal shift parts on. I am inside the engine. and its flush by the way. if it was the shift lever I would not be drowning my sorrows lol

thats goinv to be a challenge to get out. Can you get pics? You could drill a small hole to the side and try to work it out with a punch but you loc tited it so it'll be tricky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

got it! bolt extractor worked. she is shifting like new now. lucky I have enough spare parts to build 2 more bikes. I didn't even have to wait for a new bolt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

got it! bolt extractor worked. she is shifting like new now. lucky I have enough spare parts to build 2 more bikes. I didn't even have to wait for a new bolt.

ha ha ha success right on dude !!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just going through the same thing.    First mechanic I took it to said no way, we'll have th split the cases - $$$.  I started looking around on the internet and found a number of people who had sucessfully gotten the stub of the bolt out. A bunch of great info on Maximum Suzuki.  Not wanting to take a chance of screwing it up, I took it to a machine shop after taking all the external shift parts off, and for an hours labor they got it out.  One thing, though, which is why I'm replying.  The Clymers manual as well as the official Suzuki repair shop manual, list the torque as 14.5 to 19.5 ft. pounds.  All the threads I found say that is the problem and is incorrect.  For any  6mm bolt the torgue should be no more than 12 and is good anywhere from 8 to 12.  The advise I found on a bunch of different threads was adamant that you not exceed 12 and use red loctite.  It may not break right away but the stresses on it if over torgued will eventually crack and break it over time and use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

×