Sign in to follow this  

2013 yz250 oil level

hey guys, i know how to service my bike, i normally always just use the oil bolt check hole to see if i have the correct oil level right, i drain the transmission oil and tip the bike side to side to remove as much oil as possible, and leave over night to drain as well, i normally just fill the transmission until oil is coming out of the bolt check hole, this time i decided to use a measuring cup and measure the exact amount of oil i would put in the transmission, now the required amount of oil is 0.75L or 750mL, the manual says if oil comes out of the bolt hole then the level is correct and if it doesn't then it needs topping up, i removed the check bolt and added oil, i measured 300mL using a measuring cup and at 300mL oil had already started coming out of the oil check hole, now i am kinda confused to as which is correct, should i keep adding another 350mL to get the correct 750mL or just leave it at that where oil is already coming out the check hole.  

hey guys, i know how to service my bike, i normally always just use the oil bolt check hole to see if i have the correct oil level right, i drain the transmission oil and tip the bike side to side to remove as much oil as possible, and leave over night to drain as well, i normally just fill the transmission until oil is coming out of the bolt check hole, this time i decided to use a measuring cup and measure the exact amount of oil i would put in the transmission, now the required amount of oil is 0.75L or 750mL, the manual says if oil comes out of the bolt hole then the level is correct and if it doesn't then it needs topping up, i removed the check bolt and added oil, i measured 300mL using a measuring cup and at 300mL oil had already started coming out of the oil check hole, now i am kinda confused to as which is correct, should i keep adding another 350mL to get the correct 750mL or just leave it at that where oil is already coming out the check hole.  

It's not a bad idea to drain into a measureable container to make sure you have as much drained as possible and to also see how much you really need to top off the oil level. Having said that, you should probably start up the bike and get it warmed up, shut it down, wait 5 min. and then see where you are at I'm betting the oil has not had a chance to migrate around the transmission and you are getting an ill-reading.

No need to technically beat yourself up over discrepancies between the service spec amount of oil vs. the sight plug. I too noticed the issue with my YZ125, All's I do is fill till the oil drips out the hole, and done. There is NO way you can do transmission harm by having slightly less or slightly more oil in the trans. More importantly is change the oil as condensation moisture and clutch plate contaminates breaks down the oil.

Its a known fact that all YZ250's from 1999 and up the oil check hole is in the wrong spot. Just do a search on it. Just put in the 750ml and you will be fine. I'm surprised Yamaha has not fixed it yet.

Well the check bolt on the yz250 is on the wrong place, if you use the check bolt you only carry between 300 and 350cc. Even when leaning the bike on the opposite side you only get to 500cc before the check hole lets oil out.

I read on this forum a while ago that for the YZ250, you should run 950ml so that is what I have been doing without any issues. Anyone else doing this???

X2

What's the reason for running 950ml instead of 750 like the manual says?

When I used to race Cr500's you couldn't keep a clutch in the bike without a full quart. I've found by increasing the oil capacity by 100ml in my bikes I've had very little to no trans. or clutch issues. On four strokes you have to worry about oil foaming, but not on a 2 stroke.

oil has not had a chance to migrate around the transmission and you are getting an ill-reading.

yep. tighten the check bolt and never use it again

Another TT'er - forgot his name- says he just dumps in a full quart.  Actual oil level between 750 cc., 950 cc. and a full quart is so small, I can't see it making any difference.  I like that idea.  Then, you don't have I bottles sitting around with 50 cc. in them.

Another TT'er - forgot his name- says he just dumps in a full quart.  Actual oil level between 750 cc., 950 cc. and a full quart is so small, I can't see it making any difference.  I like that idea.  Then, you don't have I bottles sitting around with 50 cc. in them.

Worst case scenario is you might get some oil foam from running more volume, and that oil foaming might be blown out the crank case vent hose.

Thanks for this info! I was having the same problem on my 02 and thought it was odd that I put in 400mL and my check hole just kept dumping my nice Motul over the shop floor :foul:

Worst case scenario is you might get some oil foam from running more volume, and that oil foaming might be blown out the crank case vent hose.

The OP was speaking of his YZ.  I would NEVER over-fill a 4t crankcase.  You're correct, it can cause serious problems.