Sign in to follow this  

What one manufacturer is mostly responsable for dirt bikes we have today?

This question is more for the old timers that can remember what I call the development years 70 to 00. Im talking the  basic design of frame, suspension, etc. When you look at MX bikes now they are close in design.

I would say it was Honda that dates back to the Works Bikes of the early 80s. The design of the rear suspension is what is used now on all of them. Because of these 50 to 60 thousand one off bikes everybody cryed foul!! And AMA put the prouduction rule in. They developed the alum frame.

Ok Yamaha was first with the new engine design with YZM400

1982 Honda RC250.jpg

• Like 1

This stuff is just from memory, so I might be wrong on this stuff.  This stuff applies to dirtbikes, some of the tech came much sooner on street bikes.  

Kawasaki was the first to use the linkage setup like we see on most suspension systems today, and they also had the first perimeter frame design.

BSA, first with disc brakes.

CZ brought 2-strokes to motocross, If I remember right.  They did not invent the 2-stroke or the expansion chamber, but the first to use them for dirtbikes, which is huge.  

This stuff is just from memory, so I might be wrong on this stuff.  This stuff applies to dirtbikes, some of the tech came much sooner on street bikes.  

Kawasaki was the first to use the linkage setup like we see on most suspension systems today, and they also had the first perimeter frame design.

BSA, first with disc brakes.

CZ brought 2-strokes to motocross, If I remember right.  They did not invent the 2-stroke or the expansion chamber, but the first to use them for dirtbikes, which is huge.  

Kawasaki UniTrack system is not what is used today. I did not ask who was first to use what thought it was who design systems that are used today.

God I miss them old bikes.

I miss the drum brakes locking up.

I miss jumping and blowing fork seals.

Frames cracking!

I just miss them!

Kawasaki UniTrack system is not what is used today. I did not ask who was first to use what thought it was who design systems that are used today.

I was always thought the Bottom-Link Unitrac is what led to the modern linkage design used by many manufacturers today.  I know the original UniTrack was different. Maybe it was somebody else, anyways, I don't really care too much.

Your second sentence doesn't make much sense to me.  If you're just talking about the first to design systems but not use them, it can get really subjective and confusing.  For example, Yamaha didn't design the modern four stroke with the YZM (I would argue this anyway), nor did Honda design the aluminum frame with the '97 CR.  Your examples.

Regardless, if somebody designs a new system, they are usually the first to use it.  Maybe you can help me out here. :lol:      

Edited by MetalMan1011

Very interesting topic! Tagging for future reference and reading, hope it continues to build :)

I think the technology for making better parts is what made modern bikes what they are today..... Sure the bikes "look" simular but they weren't close to what manufacturers were giving the people. That being said, the 87 CR 250 was what really carved motorcycles into what they are today.....good motor, good suspension, disc brakes etc etc, it was everything the consumer gets today in a bike.....only back in 1987.

Edited by originalmonk

Sorry the first to use them was 1982 Brad Lackey Suzuki RN500 

From memory Heikki Mikkola had them on his works Yamaha in 77 / 78 for a while, cannot say if he raced with them but they were fitted to one of his bikes as I was in the pits trying to get some photos of the bike all to no avail  

What im trying to get across is say this Yamaha had Monoshock design. Kawasaki UniTrac, Suzuki FullFloater. Honda ProLink this was rear suspenison wars. Now study the design of the systems without getting into the who made it the ProLink design is what is used now on all bikes! And Honda might not have been the first with alum frame they put the most into the design! Take a look at the 3rd gen frame the shape the way it was made then look at the rest of the bikes made now. Can you see that they look real close? Look at the design only not who made it. Im not trying to get into pissing match that Honda or Suzuki or Kawasaki, Yamaha is better! I have had all of them! Get past that and look at the basic designs!! And you will see that Hondas designs are used in all the new bikes as far as rear suspension frame design! Today NOBODY makes a bad bike anymore you can buy any of them and win on them if you cant win on a Kawasaki you cant win on a Honda its you not bike! 

And because of the Works Hondas of the 80s we got the production rule that is why now what is on the showroom floor is the same bike the pros are riding! YES they have many mods but the bikes is the same. Any Yamaha is the one who put the R&D into the short stroke high rpm motors we have now

Oh BTW before you start I know others had WORKS bikes but at the time Honda was trowing more money into MX at that time 60,000 dollar bikes what would that be today?? 200,000? and buying the BEST riders they was dominating MX at that time! its a fact! Today they are no factory riders you do not ride for Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki anymore you ride for a race team that the factorys give you bike parts, Its now like Nascar

Frames cracking!

I just miss them!

ahhh I almost forgot the very water poooooooof husky drum brakes

Frames cracking!

I just miss them!

Don't forget the low center of gravity and being able to drag your pegs and sometimes even your handlebars while railing a corner. I think they wheelied better too.