Sign in to follow this  

Why tame a 2 smoker

I keep reading more and more about people trying to tame there 2t bike down. WHY? If u dont like the punch maybe u should be riding a 4 stroke. I never read a thread saying how to tame a 4 stroke down. Seat Time is the best way to understand how and where the powers at. Eventually u will get used to it and be able to control it when u want it. Whats ure input thx

I posted this in the wrong forum earlier lol. I keep reading post about people trying to tame the hit of a 2 stroke. WHY? Maybe ure riding the wrong bike. I never read a post saying "how to tame a 4t down". Dont get me wrong im not saying one is better than the other haha. Its basic, SEAT TIME ! Eventually u know when and where the powers at and be able to control it and all it takes is seat time. Thats my .02 cent

Lol that makes sense.. I was thinking the other end of the spectrom. That people couldnt handle the power or afraid of opening the throttle up. I find to get traction in some tricky areas is to be a gear higher than normal and feather the clutch a lil if u have too

Lol that makes sense.. I was thinking the other end of the spectrom. That people couldnt handle the power or afraid of opening the throttle up. I find to get traction in some tricky areas is to be a gear higher than normal and feather the clutch a lil if u have too

Well that can kinda work too.....4ts just make just awesome traction over a broad range.....2ts not so much......

• Like 1

Depending on where you're riding the powerband of a 2 stroke can be difficult to deal with especially for inexperienced riders. Even with loads of seat time a 250 smoker can be a handful in technical single track which is why people look for ways to settle them down a little (flywheel weight).

a bike that is easier to ride is faster, confidence inspiring and easier to ride longer. Im not super man, 2 strokes hit hard no matter what we do to them. Tame is to strong a word i think

I keep reading more and more about people trying to tame there 2t bike down. WHY? If u dont like the punch maybe u should be riding a 4 stroke. I never read a thread saying how to tame a 4 stroke down. Seat Time is the best way to understand how and where the powers at. Eventually u will get used to it and be able to control it when u want it. Whats ure input thx

I see you have one post. I'm guessing you don't ride or havent ridden long. ...and haven't ridden many different kinds of bikes.  Why would you think that you shouldn't tune whatever bike for whatever way you want your bike to run? It doesn't matter if a bike is a 2 or 4 stroke to tune a bike to be aggressive or mellow.  Do you think a trials bike that's a 2 stroke is aggressive like a 2 stroke mx bike? or how about the same for a 4 stroke trials bike and a 4 stroke mx bike.  

Ah you get it.. I made a phone call and came back and posted but everyone else already posted and are in the conversation. Yea .. traction.. or ya just like a mellower bike that you aren't fighting.. If you like that.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

I know plenty of people who have tried to tame down the latest version of the yz450 f 

Try riding a extreme enduro on a 2 stroke MX bike and see how far you get !!!!

I posted this in the wrong forum earlier lol. I keep reading post about people trying to tame the hit of a 2 stroke. WHY? Maybe ure riding the wrong bike. I never read a post saying "how to tame a 4t down". Dont get me wrong im not saying one is better than the other haha. Its basic, SEAT TIME ! Eventually u know when and where the powers at and be able to control it and all it takes is seat time. Thats my .02 cent

Those of us who ride "tamed out 2 strokes" are not on the "wrong" bike. You're jumping to the conclusion that the 2 stroke hard hitting powerband is always needed and ideal. In many circumstances it's NOT. The ONLY reason the masses of dirt riders have jumped ship from 2 strokes to 4 strokes is the fact that 4 strokes make very broad and forgiving torque, which in turn that "forgiving" torque is far more efficiently turned into rear tire traction. Bottom line, 4 strokes are heavy but very easy to ride, 2 strokes are much lighter but can frequently be a challenge to keep the excessive wasted rear wheel spin to good use. When we say "tame"  the uneducated power hungry junkies automatically think we have killed the power in our 2 strokes, and that is completely false. All's we do is SMOOTH out the hard powerband hit (by the usage of a flywheel weight) or move some torque down lower in the rpm range (from different cylinder porting, or a gearing change) .  Some people will never get the motocross engine philosophy that it's not about max hp , it's about putting down efficient acceleration.

Edited by Polar_Bus
  • Like 1

tame a 2 stroke for traction, and who would want a 4 stroke with all those valve adjustments/cam chain and oil filters?  :smirk:

I have a 2013 yz 250. Picked it up this spring and i love it the way it is. Maybe eventually try to put more bottem end into it. I ride mainly trails a little track. Never had any issues trying to climb hills. It just seems silly that ure taking an apple and trying to make it an orange. If u dont like 2 stroke features maybe a 4 stroke would of been a better choice

I see you have one post. I'm guessing you don't ride or havent ridden long. ...and haven't ridden many different kinds of bikes. Why would you think that you shouldn't tune whatever bike for whatever way you want your bike to run? It doesn't matter if a bike is a 2 or 4 stroke to tune a bike to be aggressive or mellow. Do you think a trials bike that's a 2 stroke is aggressive like a 2 stroke mx bike? or how about the same for a 4 stroke trials bike and a 4 stroke mx bike.

Ah you get it.. I made a phone call and came back and posted but everyone else already posted and are in the conversation. Yea .. traction.. or ya just like a mellower bike that you aren't fighting.. If you like that.

Why do you care what other people do to their bikes?

• Like 3

"seat time"  will also reveal that wheel spin is over rated and usually the slow way around any terrain.  

Edited by highmarker

Why do you want to force your personal preferences down other people's throats?

Im not forcing anything. It just seemed that almost on every page somone was try to modify there bike to smooth it out. I guess im one of those power junkies. I wasnt saying that everyones being a &%$#@! for doing so. Dont take ot the wrong way unless u are one. Haha