SM Conversion. Was it worth the $$$

I have a 2003 Drz400s that I'm considering converting to SM.

Sorry, ill continue. I'd like to find some SM wheels so I can use the SM speedo, and not mess with the trail tech vapor needed if I got warp 9's. if anyone has some for sale or to trade for my 21/18 wheels let me know. I've got new Shinko 705 tires on now as we'll as Dunlop 606 spares, if interested.

Option #2, anyone know anything about these? I can get them for $630 shipped and can use the SM speedo.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=190901689773

As for the handling, since the front will be dropping 1.5" more than year, is it advisable to add some PVC spacer to preload the fork springs? That would raise the front to keep it more balanced front to back.

Overall, for those that have done this, was it money well spent?

ive seen many SM conversion on this site,   they all look great,  but....  imo it does not look complete to me with out the SM forks with the plastic guards,   thats what makes the SM look so awesome,  to me at least. 

I dunno,  something about the 17'' wheels with the S accordian fork guards,   i dont like. 

Yeah , I'm not keen on 17 " and fork boots .

I gotta agree .......M8

and not mess with the trail tech vapor needed if I got warp 9's.

What is your issue with the Vapor ? I personally think the TT Vapor is 10 times better then the OEM dash.....

What is your issue with the Vapor ? I personally think the TT Vapor is 10 times better then the OEM dash.....

+1 Thats because it is

I personally like the look of a converted s to sm. don't know why but to me it has a better stance but then again I do have an s

My issue with the trail tech vapor is cost. How much time is involved for installation? What makes it 10 times better.

I agree on the accordions. I would remove them and put the short style seal savers on.

What's the price differential I could expect to pay if I found someone willing to swap Their SM wheels for my S wheels?

Any comments on the EBay wheels?

The smaller SM wheel in front still handles great.   It helps to have a lower profile tire in back.  I had a 150/70 and had a slight wobble at 85 mph unless I weight the bike perfectly.  With a 150/60 I have no problems at all.  If you ride a lot on the street I think its worth it because it's fun and the tires will last longer then knobbies. 

I use the "S" forks on my SM even though I have the origional SM forks. I like the way the "S" forks work better for me. Theyr'e easier to tune and take apart and I can use stock, 280 oversized, 310 and 320 rotors with them.

About the rubbers. Don't even think about it any more. They do protect the forks and wouldn't think about removing them for the  sake of vanity

I did raise them up 3/16" in the top clamp. but I don't use any spacers for preload. Use of spacers would depend on how much you weigh.

My weight is 185lb ready to ride.

tony

My issue with the trail tech vapor is cost. How much time is involved for installation? What makes it 10 times better.

I agree on the accordions. I would remove them and put the short style seal savers on.

What's the price differential I could expect to pay if I found someone willing to swap Their SM wheels for my S wheels?

Cost?  I dont think it could get any cheaper. :jawdrop:. The trail tech has a tach, Temp, Ambiant and engine,maintenance timers, shift lights temp warning lights, Hour meter and all the stuff the $900 stocker has. Plus it is tunable and more accurate and you can change wheel sizes with no issues.

Edited by Dr. D

Cool. Yeah the Vapor does look like a good option for $116. I mistakingly that it cost $279, but that's the voyageur. My bad.

No accordion boots here :D

05S

IMAG0586_zpsbdc87e28.jpg

IMG_1251_zps594e3bea.jpg

Moose Racing fork skins.

I did my conversion a short while ago and I love it!! :banana:

To me, huge diff. in handling, braking and acceleration (14/41T sprockets) vs S setup.

Personally I'd stay away from Chinese knock offs!!

I think, they may be using inferior quality metals/components in those wheels and your life is pretty much depending on it!

I got some used SM wheels with rotors, tires and speedo drive for around same price from one of the forum members on SMJ.

Look around, you'll find something.

The Vapor is good because you don't have to mess with a speedo gear. It will work with any size wheel. It also has a tach and rad temp. You can buy a vapor + extras for like 150, rather than buy an OEM dash speedo gear. Sell your OEM dash for ~$250 or whatever.

Cost?  I dont think it could get any cheaper. :jawdrop:. The trail tech has a tach, Temp, Ambiant and engine,maintenance timers, shift lights temp warning lights, Hour meter and all the stuff the $900 stocker has. Plus it is tunable and more accurate and you can change wheel sizes with no issues.

You think its worth swapping to the vapor for me? I have working Sm dash and everything, but am interested in the features of the vapor. One concern is the odometer reading. If i sell the bike, can't someone question whether the reading is accurate or not?

The Vapor is good because you don't have to mess with a speedo gear. It will work with any size wheel. It also has a tach and rad temp. You can buy a vapor + extras for like 150, rather than buy an OEM dash speedo gear. Sell your OEM dash for ~$250 or whatever.

Thanks. I'm sold on the Vapor and I really like the idea of pocketing cash if I could sell the oem speedo for $250. There's a bracket for $30 from A&L motor sports that has a slot for the OEM indicator 4 lights (turn signal, temp, brights, neutral). Just curious why this is still needed with the vapor and if my OEM speedo would have any value if sold without it.

What about the S suspension. Does it need any adjusting to balance since the front is dropping 1.5" more than the rear? I was thinking of adding preload to fork springs and lower the tubes in the triples so they're even with the top of the triples. Both would raise the front. Or is there a better method?

You think its worth swapping to the vapor for me? I have working Sm dash and everything, but am interested in the features of the vapor. One concern is the odometer reading. If i sell the bike, can't someone question whether the reading is accurate or not?

You can program the odometer to say whatever you want, so you can start it at your current mileage.

Technically they could question the mileage on the factory unit. Low mile units are easy to find on ebay.

one thing to point out about those rims, is that they dont come with  brake calipers or a sproket. depending on what you get, those can be expensive too. plus that amount for shipping? go through rockymtnatv and get the free shipping from the warp 9's

Sorry, ill continue. I'd like to find some SM wheels so I can use the SM speedo, and not mess with the trail tech vapor needed if I got warp 9's. if anyone has some for sale or to trade for my 21/18 wheels let me know. I've got new Shinko 705 tires on now as we'll as Dunlop 606 spares, if interested.

Option #2, anyone know anything about these? I can get them for $630 shipped and can use the SM speedo.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=190901689773

As for the handling, since the front will be dropping 1.5" more than year, is it advisable to add some PVC spacer to preload the fork springs? That would raise the front to keep it more balanced front to back.

Overall, for those that have done this, was it money well spent?

look up the 'hooligan mod'. if you use a gsf400 (if you can find one) rear wheel, and gs500 front, you can do all of it, including wheels for less than $250. 

it takes 20-25 minutes to swap the wheels from street use to dirt. you will need a relocation bracket, but a buddy of mine makes them, or you can buy one online. around $50-100 shipped depending on the source. 

as far as suspension, there is no adjustment needed. dropping the forks a little in triples is enough which ever way you prefer. higher triples = slower handling. lower triples = faster turning. 

fork boots ? lol, that's cosmetic, it doesn't matter. 

nothing

is it worth it ? that's an opinion question. yes, to me, it's completely worth it to burn through cheap street tires all week instead of wonderful earth eating knobbies. the street is just for people that haven't learned better yet. sometimes, you ride with them until they see the light ;-)

There's a bracket for $30 from A&L motor sports http://www.a-lmotorsports.com/Products/13-suzuki-drz-vapor-mount.aspx

it has a slot for the OEM indicator 4 lights (turn signal, temp, brights, neutral). Just curious why this is still needed with the vapor. Doesnt the vapor already have these indicators?would my OEM speedo have any resale value if sold without it?

Still curious about this. Anyone know?