ktm 200 questions

hey guys im thinking about maybe talking my dad into letting me get a ktm 200 after I sell my bike that I have now. I have a few questions though, would this be a good first dirtbike that will ride the sand dunes with ease but not have way to much power for me in the dirt and tight trials? and kinda goes with the first questions how would it do in the sand dunes? my last question is wich 200 would I want? I know they made a sx, the xc the xcw, wich is best for riding everything, and has no lights, I don't want any lights it.

Ive been running a 200exc but im 190 and @ B level enduro HS. for me one of the week points (theres really not many) is sand but if your under 160/150 no problems.

Im about a 150 pounds and 5'8"

A 200 will fly with a 150lb rider.

Would it be a good beginner dirtbike that i Wont loose intrest in when i learn to ride

What would be a good model and year. I dont really want lights on it, so which models dont have lights.

Would it be a good beginner dirtbike that i Wont loose intrest in when i learn to ridei

I started out racing enduros on the yamaha IT175/200s (1980s)  and now race B level Was racing A level 4 or SO years ago on my 03 200 exc so the bike has no problem playing or racing and is actually a better race bike IMO. When i get on the line im really  more worried about the guys on 150/200s more so than the big bikes, our races are really tight here in the south and the biggest problem fort the 200 is the straits where a slower rider can drive you nuts by using the power in the straits to pull you so you have to get good at passing in the tights.lol But all in all yes you can start out on a 200 and go all the way up. Read up on Shane Watts he raced a 200exc for years i GNCC aganst the pro open class and ruled for years.

They newer the better, usually and lights aren't a big deal, if it's a nice bike with lights and you don't want them, take them off and put on a number plate. It would be better to by a solid bike and replace the lights with plastics than to buy a clapped out bike because it looks cool.

what would be a good year range to look for?

biggest problem fort the 200 is the straits where a slower rider can drive you nuts by using the power in the straits to pull you so you have to get good at passing in the tights.

I have the 04 exc200. It has and is known for having very long legs. I have no problems with 450's in straights (unless your talking Hare&hound miles long straights that is). They tend to briefly catch up to me but I always seem to get back by before the end of the straight.

I'm also in Oregon and am racing the OMRA GP & XC Series and despite the bikes age, it's very competitive. I haven't been on the bike in the dunes yet but it's been great everywhere from the rainforest of Tillamook to the Oregon desert (Chinahat / Millican). 

If your coming from a 125 2-stroke, you'll have to get used to lugging it in the woods and mud. It puts the power down a lot quicker then you would expect. 

I'm 6'2" & 192lbs so any bike is going to like you a lot better then it likes me.

what would be a good year range to look for?

mpre impotant is the condition with the 200s. Im running a 03 (have owned up to 07s) imo its easly as goog as any ive owned.is say i do like the 06/07 looks best and the single bolt seat.

The 200 got a little taller in 2008 and i hate tall bikes.