Sign in to follow this  

1975 dt 175 problems

Hey all. I've been having some problems with my yamaha dt 175. First off, the carb leaks from the bottom. I think it's leaking from the bowl drain but I checked that and the bowl drain is closed. Second problem is electrical. There's no spark and when you turn the key on, nothing comes on. No neutral light and no headlight. Any help would be appreciated.

By the way, the carb just got re built by our local dealer a few months ago.

Edited by jaradzoida

I had a 75 DT 400.  You say the carb was just rebuilt, is that because the bike sat for a long time?  If that's the case, clean the tank and replace the fuel line. 

A piece of crud probably got in the float valve and is keeping it open.  Pull the float bowl and the float valve and clean it.   Don't use carb cleaner on any rubber parts, they get really soft and can melt.  

Sounds like the battery is dead.  Check with volt meter and check fuses.   Your bike has a 6 volt battery.  Charge or replace then check for spark. 

I had a 75 DT 400. You say the carb was just rebuilt, is that because the bike sat for a long time? If that's the case, clean the tank and replace the fuel line.

A piece of crud probably got in the float valve and is keeping it open. Pull the float bowl and the float valve and clean it. Don't use carb cleaner on any rubber parts, they get really soft and can melt.

Sounds like the battery is dead. Check with volt meter and check fuses. Your bike has a 6 volt battery. Charge or replace then check for spark.

I had the carb rebuilt because it wasn't running that well. It didn't sit more than a week. I still have to check the battery and fuses.

Ok so I've checked the fuses and they're fine. I still have NO power. No lights, horn, no spark, etc. Battery fully charged. Could it be the switch? The key works fine but maybe the mechanism is worn? I've also checked for damaged/unplugged wires and found nothing. I think it could also be the stator. I'm also still having carb issues. The carb is leaking gas from the bottom near the bowl drain.