Sign in to follow this  

Are 2 strokes difficult to ride?

I currently have a 250f and am thinking abou getting a 125 or 250 2 stroke. I don't have a lot of experience and I've never ridden a 2 stroke in my life. Thanks

Better ask your mommy! :lol:

But, really, I have 4t and want a 250t myself. I love my 250x but......and you're alot younger than I.

• Like 1

You have to buy the right powerband so its easier to ride.  But really though it all comes with practice and building off basic skills.

• Like 1

A 2t will teach you how to ride a bike and think about what you need to do, like slip the clutch instead of just twist the throttle

You have to buy the right powerband so its easier to ride.  But really though it all comes with practice and building off basic skills.

Would the purple one be a good one to use?

blue ones are fastest

Oh for &%$#@!s sake....

It all depends on how they are set-up and the riders ability. I, for one, would prefer my 500 over a four-stroke any day. (Off road.) A PROPERLY TUNED two smoker can give loads of SMOOTH power (granted, it's more prevalent in the open class smokers) everywhere. They are much more "customizable" with how the motor delivers power through the RPM range.

Smokers are much easier to work on, though they may take more work depending on your maintenance schedule and how you ride them. 

• Like 2

Honestly no, they are not. The only way they 'teach' you to ride is the fact that the engines have about 17 rpms where they make usable power, dead flat below, flat or effectively rev-limited above. (Realistically it's more like a 500-3000 rpm window depending on the engine, but you get the idea.) A 4 stroke has a lot more torque period, and it has power/torque over a much wider more useful range.

The same 2st fanatics that say they are harder to ride also say they are easier to ride because it's a tiny bit lighter. The engine braking of a 4 stroke will remind you to stay on the gas all the way until braking, and up jumps. A 2st you can drop the gas in air and engine braking wont throw the bike around - 4st it will affect in air. So between weight and engine braking, doesn't that mean a 4st is harder to ride?

2st and 4 st require some differences in riding technique, but one isn't really any harder or easier to ride just because of the engine type. I've ridden dual sport/trail and Motocross bikes with each engine style. They each have their place where they shine, and where they lag. A 125 will seem gutless coming from a 250f, go for 250. You should enjoy it.

• Like 1

Are they as much work as people say?

No different really than a similar class 4 stroke. A racing MX 4 stroke needs regular maintennace, so does a racing MX 2 stroke. A trails 4 stroke needs only occasional maintenance, similar on a trails 2 stroke. 2 st really isn't very hard to work on.

I currently have a 250f and am thinking abou getting a 125 or 250 2 stroke. I don't have a lot of experience and I've never ridden a 2 stroke in my life. Thanks

I'd skip the 125 if your coming off a 250f, and go right to a 250 2s . 

My 300 is WAY easier than my 4S was, but the 4 was a MXer and my 300 is tuned differently. But the 300 is way more fun IMO.

Everyone makes the hit of the powerband sound like it's some kind of uncontrollable monster. Honestly it's not bad at all. They are very fun to ride. I'd definitely try one out.

Why do people think climbing on a 2 stroke is like trying to saddle up and ride a mammoth sized rabid wolverine?

And I never have understood all this talk about how you have to slip the clutch all the time.

My bike must be broke because it's never ripped my arms out and I don't ride around slipping the clutch everywhere.

• Like 2

Why do people think climbing on a 2 stroke is like trying to saddle up and ride a mammoth sized rabid wolverine?

And I never have understood all this talk about how you have to slip the clutch all the time.

My bike must be broke because it's never ripped my arms out and I don't ride around slipping the clutch everywhere.

I've got a 125 and I don't really have to slip the clutch either a whole lot...and people think there is absolutely no power in the lower rpms and then bam! Sudden arm ripping power...not true.
  • Like 1

Yes 2 strokes are only for kings of moto! They are so uncontrollable, you should buy a ttr125!

Not really..  A 125 is easy to ride,  great bike for beginner/ novice types.  The 250 2t is more difficult but easier to ride than a 450 but harder than a 250f..  You should really look at displacement.  A 125 is easier to ride than a 450 period.  I know here locally there has to be at least 5 pro riders who switched back to 125s from 450s because of how much easier the little bike is to ride.  So really you should look at displacement and go from there.  A 125 is easiest to ride as there is a small amount of power to control and then the 450 is hardest to ride as it has 2x the hp as the 125 so its obviously harder to ride.   As always the power helps sometimes but its harder to corner a faster bike and thats what I look at when I say a bike is hard or easy to ride.  Each bike rides different and you have to figure it out.  Personally I think that in this order from hardest to easiest to ride.  450>250 2t>250f>125.  I would mention the 500 but its such a rare bike that practically no one really rides that its irrelevant, but that undoubtedly would be the hardest bike to ride with the amount of power it has closely followed by the 450.