ITLKSEZ

Idaho PNW Helmet Cam Vids

Very nice. Yeah, the lighting in the video is really good, which means in reality it's even better. I have mine being installed today on the 300. I have a Baja Designs set up on both my 350 and my 450, but thought that might be overkill on a 300, and don't want to have to upgrade stator. Also the costs, as my Baja Designs stuff is about $500 per bike, while I'm into the cyclops so far at about $150 I think?

Katoom, what did you pay for your set up?

I look forward to riding a night mission with you!

Was chatting with some of my ride buddies in doing a night ride soon, month or so. Right now it's a bit cold/snowy for that.   

If you are going to get a head lamp, make sure it can be run/charged via USB. Then you can use a micro charger as a back up to the stock battery.  

Thanks it was pretty fun. We have been on two night rides so far. The LED was $90, plug and play it is one of the more expensive bulbs they have and supports hi/low beam, though it is not as defined with the reflector as a normal bulb, low beam is just 2 sides of the 3 sided LED "triangle" All late model KTM/Huskies I think use this bulb. The helmet light was ~$40.00 and I am pretty happy with the price/value, I did not see if you can get a USB hookup for it that's a good idea especially if you are out camping. I have a USB battery backup/solar charger that I think if I left it out all day while riding would charge it back up.  Lots of good review on that setup.

I left the headlamp on the low setting, which is bright enough, and it lasted several hours. I fell asleep watching TV so I didn't see exactly when it went off. One thing about LED is they don't go dim as much, they just go off once there is not enough juice.

I'll PM you when the snow melts out.

Edited by KaToomTime

Mattawa. We tried this cool climb but never made it the last 15-20 yards. Right before the road it got steeper, with way more "nuggets" on the tread. The videos help me see what I can/should change for next time. The compression at the bottom keeps you from coming in too hot, I was bottoming out on it. The challenge is on!   We also went down the big hill to the dunes (Bise Hill sign at top of the trail down) will put that in a later vid.

Cheers-KTT

Edited by KaToomTime
  • Like 1

Mattawa. We tried this cool climb but never made it the last 15-20 yards. Right before the road it got steeper, with way more "nuggets" on the tread. The videos help me see what I can/should change for next time. The compression at the bottom keeps you from coming in too hot, I was bottoming out on it. The challenge is on!   We also went down the big hill to the dunes (Bise Hill sign at top of the trail down) will put that in a later vid.

Cheers-KTT

The one time I rode Mattawa I took a stab at that climb.  I swear I got to exactly where you did on in the first Yammy clip.  I did not like coming back down.

Edited by Wonderspoon
  • Like 2

The one time I rode Mattawa I took a stab at that climb. I swear I got to exactly where you did on in the first Yammy clip. I did not like coming back down.

Yeah the loose rocks roll out from under you when turning around. I've been over on that side maybe 4 times that is the first time giving that hill a try.

Yeah the loose rocks roll out from under you when turning around. I've been over on that side maybe 4 times that is the first time giving that hill a try.

I just kind of went for it. Good on the way up but my fear of heights kicked in as I turned around.

It's skiing time... My first ski vid. 

And just me crashing a bunch...

Edited by TigerTanker
  • Like 2

TigerTanger, killing me LOL that is hilarious

Edited by n16ht5
  • Like 1

Been so damn cold, I've only gotten out a couple times in the last month.  

But, the skiing sure is good. Took a 6 day trip to Park City Utah and had an incredible powder experience. And this is why I wear my full moto gear while skiing....

I don't remember if I ever posted this here, something I made a few years ago but it's in season now!

• Like 1

I don't remember if I ever posted this here, something I made a few years ago but it's in season now!

A thing of beauty! Music pairing is excellent.

How did you attach the camera? 

Edited by TigerTanker
  • Like 1

A thing of beauty! Music pairing is excellent.

How did you attach the camera? 

Thank you!  My one and only work in the field of cinematography :)  It was one of the older GoPros with a clear plastic housing (that I didn't care for if it gets smashed).  I safety wired a chunk of aluminum bar to it, bent in a shape that hooks on to a buckle strap on my boots.  So it sits right above the foot where the second buckle is.  Took all of 10 minutes to jerry-rig that up.  My newest work is to strap a camera to either the bottom of the radiator or to the inside of the rad shroud.  Similar footage but less bike in the frame.

Thank you!  My one and only work in the field of cinematography :)  It was one of the older GoPros with a clear plastic housing (that I didn't care for if it gets smashed).  I safety wired a chunk of aluminum bar to it, bent in a shape that hooks on to a buckle strap on my boots.  So it sits right above the foot where the second buckle is.  Took all of 10 minutes to jerry-rig that up.  My newest work is to strap a camera to either the bottom of the radiator or to the inside of the rad shroud.  Similar footage but less bike in the frame.

I have done what you are looking to do. Make sure it's a cool spot, not warm by the engine or radiator...otherwise the stickum from the mount will release. On two of my three bikes I've found ways to mount.

I'd tried to do a boot mount, but the leg can do so many different kinds of angles and positions! But, I really like how low you got and have the water splashing effect.

In this video, I have a chin mount, a stator mount just above the pipe of my te300, and a mount on the forward fender aimed at my upper body. I ran the hill three times, and edited it together with some music and stills. 

Yea that's cool, having multiple cameras going at the same time and then making cuts out of that is definitely the next level.  Personally I'd probably only do that if I'm injured and can't ride :)

The first video is from an $50 bullet cam from Amazon (iON something) zip-died to the inside of the rad shroud.  Nucleus trail at Tahuya.

This is from an old GoPro mounted upside down to the bottom of the radiator.  Oregon Raceway Park.  It's a Kawasaki Ninja 650 I'm trying to pass for a while.  I guess it's still eligible for being posted here, 'cause hey I'm riding a dirt bike!

Similar view from a practice day way back when PGP was open to bikes, except speeds are much lower so sound is Ok

Edited by dakh

Yea that's cool, having multiple cameras going at the same time and then making cuts out of that is definitely the next level. Personally I'd probably only do that if I'm injured and can't ride :)

The first video is from an $50 bullet cam from Amazon (iON something) zip-died to the inside of the rad shroud. Nucleus trail at Tahuya.

https://youtu.be/TKsoJ30hyi4

This is from an old GoPro mounted upside down to the bottom of the radiator. Oregon Raceway Park. It's a Kawasaki Ninja 650 I'm trying to pass for a while. I guess it's still eligible for being posted here, 'cause hey I'm riding a dirt bike!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY9iSbhhsKA

Similar view from a practice day way back when PGP was open to bikes, except speeds are much lower so sound is Ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmVtbMdUMvM

I like the shots where you can see the Kawi in between the fork legs in that 2nd vid. Looks like you had better corner speed in a lot of places just took a couple laps to stick.
  • Like 1

I like the shots where you can see the Kawi in between the fork legs in that 2nd vid. Looks like you had better corner speed in a lot of places just took a couple laps to stick.

Brakes, corner speed and getting out of slow corners is where 450 shines. Everywhere else you play catch up, bad aerodynamics and not much HP!  Luckily ORP is an incredibly technical track with most corners blind, off-camber, elevation change or all of the above. So it's a bit easier to make up time.

Edited by dakh