In the market for a two stroke MX bike, coming from an XR250R, what should I get?

I currently ride an old Honda XR250. First off, the thing is HEAVY and torquey. Its fully uncorked. I ride mostly track with some trails. On the track, I've maxed out the bike's capabilities, and have all the techniques down. I'm 6 foot. 150 pounds.

I'm in the market for an MX bike, as the XR is a trail bike. I'd like to stick with Honda. From what I've read, the CR125 is mellow compared to the other brands. I would love to own a CR250 but I'm afraid it'll be too much, however I want to get something I can grow into.

Will consider RMs, YZs, and KXs too.

So tell me, what two stroke MX bike do you recommend!?

Also, heres some pics for fun

Capture.png

Capture2.png

Edited by Mikepagjr

02-04 or 05-07 CR250, if you can afford it/find one. Very good bikes, controllable power and can be turned into 450 killers with the right tuning. You can always throw a flywheel weight to tame it down if needed. (Along with changing the gearing and whatnot.)

When looking for a bike, don't necessarily worry about the year. I've seen older bikes (Mid 80's CR250/500s) that are in MUCH better shape than newer bikes. 

Edited by DirtRider500R

While the CR125 is mellow compared to others the 2002 model is completely un-ridable. No power and then light switch on right at the top. Doesn't work for crawling up hills or even trying to wheelie over a log. This is the case for most of the 125s really. Suggest:

KTM 200EXC

99 or 02-04 CR250

05+ YZ125

Husky CR125 / WR125 (can add either a 144 kit OR a 165 kit later!)

03/04 KX250

03-05 KX125

KDX200/220

Maybe an RM (don't know which years are beginner friendly) but not a YZ250 (great bikes but not beginner friendly).

Edited by shrubitup

02-04 or 05-07 CR250, if you can afford it/find one. Very good bikes, controllable power and can be turned into 450 killers with the right tuning. You can always throw a flywheel weight to tame it down if needed. (Along with changing the gearing and whatnot.)

When looking for a bike, don't necessarily worry about the year. I've seen older bikes (Mid 80's CR250/500s) that are in MUCH better shape than newer bikes. 

Does the better handling of the 02-07 CR250 outweigh the 'better' engine of the 01' CR250?

While the CR125 is mellow compared to others the 2002 model is completely un-ridable. No power and then light switch on right at the top. Doesn't work for crawling up hills or even trying to wheelie over a log. This is the case for most of the 125s really. Suggest:

KTM 200EXC

99 or 02-04 CR250

05+ YZ125

Husky CR125 / WR125 (can add either a 144 kit OR a 165 kit later!)

03/04 KX250

03-05 KX125

KDX200/220

Maybe an RM (don't know which years are beginner friendly) but not a YZ250 (great bikes but not beginner friendly).

Well, that rules out the CR125.

Why do you like the 99' CR250?

Will research some KX's too. thanks!

Does the better handling of the 02-07 CR250 outweigh the 'better' engine of the 01' CR250?

Well, that rules out the CR125.

Why do you like the 99' CR250?

Will research some KX's too. thanks!

The 02-07 CR250 handles great! You do not want the "better" 01 motor until you've mastered clutch slipping and whiskey throttle quick reaction clutch pulls. 

The 05-07 CR125 is much better but still requires engine work to make it usable off road. The 99 CR250 has a tractor motor. Doesn't really like to rev out like a typical race bike. Lots of grunt. Lot of haters on the gen 1 frame (97-99) though which I never noticed but I only rode a few of them. 

Very much so. The only thing "better" about the 01 motor is the peak HP. If I remember right, Service Honda is making 250AFs with the 99(?) motor because it is much more "well rounded" than the 01 motor. IMO go with the newest CR250 that's in good shape.

Very much so. The only thing "better" about the 01 motor is the peak HP. If I remember right, Service Honda is making 250AFs with the 99(?) motor because it is much more "well rounded" than the 01 motor. IMO go with the newest CR250 that's in good shape.

S.H. uses the 2001 motor. The 2002 motor is good, electric smooth, tractable, great mid range, decent top, so-so low end but right off the bottom there's a big blank. Put either a Mikuni or Keihin carb on the 02 and it still needs motor work. Personally I'd prefer the 01 over the 99 due to wider range of power on the 01. The 99 is similar to the 01 motor just emphasizes power on the reverse range of the 01 but also has a narrower range.

Most all of this is tunable with bolt ons and/or porting. You really should emphasize condition/price of bike over brand/year unless you find both.  

S.H. uses the 2001 motor. The 2002 motor is good, electric smooth, tractable, great mid range, decent top, so-so low end but right off the bottom there's a big blank. Put either a Mikuni or Keihin carb on the 02 and it still needs motor work. Personally I'd prefer the 01 over the 99 due to wider range of power on the 01. The 99 is similar to the 01 motor just emphasizes power on the reverse range of the 01 but also has a narrower range.

Most all of this is tunable with bolt ons and/or porting. You really should emphasize condition/price of bike over brand/year unless you find both.  

Ah okay. I knew it was either the 99 or the 01 motor that they used. The TMX carb is definitely a complete turd; just a complete pain to tune correctly. I'd replace it with either a PWK A/S or a Smart Carb.

I just bought an 04 cr125 ad the bike is great, decent power, great suspension and brakes, I do all trail riding and I love it, it's so light as fairly easy to control, I came off a crf 230 and u love the 125 in comparison, it's better than the old crf I'm every category, hope this helps! Good luck in your search