Sign in to follow this  

Carburetor question

Its me again lol.... went for a ride and got stranded.... fuel was pour out the over flow hose .. got the bike running and back to the truck . ..gonna be pulling the carb to check the float and such... anything that is common that I should look for ?.... thanks guys

yes.. dirt , sand , varnish and debris in and on the needle and seat area. if it's a press in seat pull it out gently and check the o-ring around it for damage. 

Be slightly easier if we knew which bike you own however one thing is common with all bikes afaik..They have a float valve which sits in a hole above the float and is attached to the float by a small metal clip/hook type thing. In the end of that valve is a small metal pin which moves in and out as the float moves up and down contacting the pin. If the pin is jammed the fuel will continue to flow into the carb thus leading to a flooding bike or overflowing carb..Fix the pin by checking it goes up and down and isn't jamming or replace the valve..Replacing it is better as I've tried to fix the pin by making sure it still goes up and down and it sometimes doesn't repair the issue,,Replacement of the valve is the better option..

Edited by Horri

OK got bowl off ... can anyone tell me what this is and why it's sitting on the float ???... also does anyone know the proper way to adjust float height

1380024637712.jpg

The brown thing is the slosh baffle,,it's supposed to keep the gas stable around the main jet when you go over a jump..It should at no point be touching the float, If it is get a new one. The float valve which I say will be the problem is on the end of that metal tab you can see in the right of the picture and is attached to the float,,Replace it. The manual will tell you how to check the float level. Personally I say forget it,,It doesn't shift around unless someone else has tried to adjust it..Replace the valve ,,reassemble,,test.

Edited by Horri

Pretty sure it's just pushed on,,either that or you need to remove the main jet and it should just fall off..It's not really needed depending on whether or not you do a lot of cross country bumpy type riding..I don't have one in my 600 because I don't do a lot of dirt anymore..If it was touching the float it may well be the problem,,somehow jamming the float..Remove it and retest..Don't put the carb back on the bike..Just put it back together and hook it up to the gas line and refill it and see if it still overflows,,Make sure the carb is in an upright level position when you test it..if it still overflows you still have an issue somewhere..

Edited by Horri

I can't believe that the bike even ran the way it was set ! ...the float was installed upside down.... the baffle was under the float ...I'm guessing thats what restricted the float movement... I guess that's what I get for not checking it out when I got it the past march ...curious how the bike will run now with things cleaned and adjusted properly

I can't believe that the bike even ran the way it was set ! ...the float was installed upside down.... the baffle was under the float ...I'm guessing thats what restricted the float movement... I guess that's what I get for not checking it out when I got it the past march ...curious how the bike will run now with things cleaned and adjusted properly

:eek: .. :smirk: ,,Hell of a funny..The things people get wrong never ceases to amaze me.,never noticed it myself in the picture,,.Should be good with it in a proper position.. :smirk:

Edited by Horri

Have to give a big thanks to Bettencorts Honda in west Bridgewater. For emailing a couple of shop manual pages to actually see the proper assemble and get float level spec .... with the info of this site has been a great asset in keeping this beast running