Sign in to follow this  

Stroker Crank Only?

Wondering how much the stroker crank helps with woods/mountain riding.  Stroked a DR370 back in the 80s and it worked great.  The bike needs more low end snap to clear logs, rock ledges and whoops.  I am riding a street legal 2001 DRZ400E.

A BB kit will add the same displacement but isn't so dependent on accompanying mod's and is a much easier installation.... (cams, OS valves, 41mm FCR, pipe, decomp)

• Like 1

Wondering how much the stroker crank helps with woods/mountain riding.  Stroked a DR370 back in the 80s and it worked great.  The bike needs more low end snap to clear logs, rock ledges and whoops.  I am riding a street legal 2001 DRZ400E.

If you already have to replace the crank anyway due to an issue, the stroker crank is certainly a good option.  If you are only looking for more power, I agree with Mad Dogg about the big bore kit is an easier power option.

• Like 2

What gearing do you have ?

I would save on the bottom end work ( unless needed )

94mm big bore , MRD PIpe , Cylinder Head work , gearing to suit the riding area ,

Suspension set up

What gearing do you have ?

I would save on the bottom end work ( unless needed )

94mm big bore , MRD PIpe , Cylinder Head work , gearing to suit the riding area ,

Suspension set up

Personally, if I was doing all this again I would do the stroker crank at the same time.....  :)

that's odd, i figured a E with the fcr would be plenty responsive to hop a log. my shitty old S with a cv does it fine. how's your timing and compression  ? what gearing are you running on it ? 

The motor pulls strong on the top end, not much grunt off the bottom.  Front Gearing ranges from 12 - 15 depending on how nasty the trails are that I plan on riding.  The rear stays at a 45.  I have had the same problem pulling up the front on whoops out in the desert.  To be fair, my MX race bike is a 2014 KX450 and Vintage MX is a 1989 KX500.  So it might just be a me thing.  THX for your thoughts.  

The motor pulls strong on the top end, not much grunt off the bottom.  Front Gearing ranges from 12 - 15 depending on how nasty the trails are that I plan on riding.  The rear stays at a 45.  I have had the same problem pulling up the front on whoops out in the desert.  To be fair, my MX race bike is a 2014 KX450 and Vintage MX is a 1989 KX500.  So it might just be a me thing.  THX for your thoughts.  

Possibly a "Me thing"

Do you know much about the history of the E.....Has it ever been rebuilt?.... the top end may need a refurbish.....