Sign in to follow this  

Point of registering bike?

hi, I never really understood what the point of getting an off-road registration for a dirt bike is?

I mean you don't need it to ride at the track or race?

I don't know either. Except maybe if it gets stolen and then recovered, the cops can look up the VIN and see who its registered to.

I bought a new 300 this year and never registered it. It sees trail only.

if it gets stolen you have solid proof it was yours...

I made the mistake of not filing titles on my last 2bikes stolen,and thats on me if they ever turn up,I can never prove they really were mine.

Edited by OkieTwister

I don't know either. Except maybe if it gets stolen and then recovered, the cops can look up the VIN and see who its registered to.

I bought a new 300 this year and never registered it. It sees trail only.

So you're saying you ride trails without registration? Not very smart unless you're only on private property. 

In BC don't have to register offroad bikes but we should..... And eventually it will be mandatory as how can you prove a bike is yours if you were ever stopped at a road block or such? That being said, in BC you are also supposed to have offroad insurance which IMO is a good thing. The insurance would protect you if you ever came blowing over a blind hill and hit someone and either of you got seriously hurt. The insurance would protect you from them sueing you....

• Like 1

In BC don't have to register offroad bikes but we should..... And eventually it will be mandatory as how can you prove a bike is yours if you were ever stopped at a road block or such? That being said, in BC you are also supposed to have offroad insurance which IMO is a good thing. The insurance would protect you if you ever came blowing over a blind hill and hit someone and either of you got seriously hurt. The insurance would protect you from them sueing you....

IN TN you aren't required to register it either. I bought mine out of state and went to the DMV to title the bike and pay the sales tax. The lady behind the counter said, "Sir most people don't title dirt bikes around here." I said thanks and put my checkbook back in my pocket and left. Eventually I will title it and pay the tax, I'd like to get a plate for it at some point. 

Proof of ownership.

I assume you actually meant title and not registration.

Off road regristration is required in some places

On road registration lets you ride from trail head to trail head

So you're saying you ride trails without registration? Not very smart unless you're only on private property. 

What's the problem with this?  Trails is off-road and do not apply to the same registration rules as road vehicles.

I have never had a problem riding my non-registered bikes in the national forest trails over the last 10 years

What's the problem with this?  Trails is off-road and do not apply to the same registration rules as road vehicles.

I have never had a problem riding my non-registered bikes in the national forest trails over the last 10 years

Riding off road on any state owned/county owned land will usually require registration, at least.....
  • Like 1

Explain your thinking. Maybe there's something I'm not considering.

Riding off road on any state owned/county owned land will usually require registration, at least.....

Not in TN. There is no off road permits required or available to buy. There are some parks that require you to purchase a land use permit though. 

It's mostly only the nutty states like Cali that hate bike and want to eliminate them that require registration. As with anything regarding State laws, they vary from state to state. Texas and Tenn don't hate bikes, so why demand registration for the right to ride public land intended for riding? Indiana has registration that only applies for a few large state owned parks, but not all public land. Kansas has no offroad registration, for any OHV area, not even optional. Tenn as stated above. California has green and red sticker BS.

Registration and Title are related, but not the same. Registration expires, and doesn't actually prove ownership (you can register a bike your bank has the title/ownership to). Title definitively defines ownership, and never expires. Which was intended in the question?

• Like 1

This couldn't be any further from the truth.  At least not in TX...

Sorry bud, but not in Michigan. All you need to have here is an orv sticker, now the orv sticker really isn't considered registration, since it isn't on record with the state of michigan what the sticker is actually being affixed to. This includes national forests. I have my bikes titled, but that is just for personal reasons. 

I only ride trails around here but registration is REQUIRED by multiple places I go. They are patrolled by the Environmental Police and if you are caught without it. You are fined a minimum of $250 and the bike is impounded.

It is also required to get registrations for other states as well to ride in them. I don't believe any border state with Mass honors a Massachusetts sticker. Not to mention I would rather have the VIN in my name incase I get ripped off, or something stupid happens.

I go to the same area multiple times a month and everytime there is an officer driving around checking. One time as i was unloading My bike another bike was being hauled on a flatbed being followed by a cruiser. That's Massachusetts for you.

Its only $40 for two years so its not breaking the wallet, but it is money.

Sorry bud, but not in Michigan. All you need to have here is an orv sticker, now the orv sticker really isn't considered registration, since it isn't on record with the state of michigan what the sticker is actually being affixed to. This includes national forests. I have my bikes titled, but that is just for personal reasons.

I'll need to check (on phone now) but I am 95% positive Michigan requires bikes to be titled. Not everyone does it though.

I'll need to check (on phone now) but I am 95% positive Michigan requires bikes to be titled. Not everyone does it though.

Michigan off road vehicle guide states all orvs must be titled within 15 days of purchase

• Like 1

This is why there is OHV registration such as  Green or Red sticker for California. Obviously not the same as registering it for the road. 

Explain your thinking. Maybe there's something I'm not considering.

The idea behind paying registration is that the money SHOULD go to maintaining our places to ride.. but lets not open up that can of worms. The motorcycles we ride do put wear and tear on trails. Not to mention that at some point someone had to create them. The money we pay for registration is supposed to fund the conservation of these places. National Forest and BLM land that I ride in California requires registration. Red or Green does not matter since it is Federal land. I am not an expert on Texas laws but National Forest and BLM should not change state to state. 

Edited by MossyOak
  • Like 1