4 stroke rebuild cost?

Just wondering what the cost usually is for a top end, and a bottom end? Just a ballpark number. Bike runs fine just looking at what it would cost to replace things cause of hours. Thanks in advance.

Depends on the work being done. How much do shoes cost? How much is dinner out?

I had a dealer do a top end (cylinder and piston kit) and it was in the $700 range.  I did it myself last time and was in the $400 range with a plated cylinder piston kit and gaskets  KTM.

Bottom end is a totally different story dependent on parts

Edited by bbohannon

There are so many variables that you would have to be much more specific.  Is this including valves?  Or  is it just a routine top-end and bottom end job?  The valves can actually outlast the piston and bottom end and then really its a crank and piston kit which is really dynamic depending on bike size and the brand your buying from and if your labor.  A 250f and a 250 2t are close in a rebuild of just the piston and bottom end ~$600.  125 is cheaper as its smaller and 450 more as its bigger.  The catch is the valves and cam chain which should be checked and replaced as needed.  I will throw out there that the valves are really durable and that if you check them like you should that you will never have a problem and they dont wear out too bad as I have had multiple bikes over 5 years that have never had a valve job, they are still in check and the bike is still running great.  Now those are new bikes which I always kept fresh oil and filter and well my 12 with over 170 hours havent moved since break in so they are super durable and i wouldnt worry too much.  Now if your unlucky and you have to replace them would be about $450-$550.  So without labor with valves, it would be $1000 for a 250f and $1200 for a $450.  Labor is the catch and can be the deal breaker.   

It's an 04 but I try to take really goo care of it. Oil an oil filter about every 2 rides air filter cleaned after every ride. I don't know how many hours are on the bike cause I bought it used and the seller didn't really tell me. I didn't know any better to ask cause i was just getting into riding and didn't really know very much about bikes. seeing as this is my first bike it's got a special place in my heart lol. I just figure it's time before something bad happens with me not knowing how many total hours are on it and all. I'm not cheap at all so if something even shows that it might need it I'd like to replace. As far as I know the motor has never been touched so I'd assume I'm gonna need a lot probably.

It's an 04 but I try to take really goo care of it. Oil an oil filter about every 2 rides air filter cleaned after every ride. I don't know how many hours are on the bike cause I bought it used and the seller didn't really tell me. I didn't know any better to ask cause i was just getting into riding and didn't really know very much about bikes. seeing as this is my first bike it's got a special place in my heart lol. I just figure it's time before something bad happens with me not knowing how many total hours are on it and all. I'm not cheap at all so if something even shows that it might need it I'd like to replace. As far as I know the motor has never been touched so I'd assume I'm gonna need a lot probably.

if you're replacing everything in the top and bottom end then it could be upwards if 3000. Just piston and crank then let's say 800-1200. For replayed cylinder, piston, valves then around 1200. Bottom end only around 1200. Prices change frequently for what needs replaced and what not.

I had a dealer do a top end (cylinder and piston kit) and it was in the $700 range.  I did it myself last time and was in the $400 range with a plated cylinder piston kit and gaskets  KTM.

Bottom end is a totally different story dependent on parts

I had a mechanic (old Baja desert pro, Morgan Molacco) replace my top and bottom end, bore out the cylinder on my CR 500 years ago.. the whole motor rebuild was $717.00 TOTAL!!!  Long live the smoker!!

upwords of 3000 to re-build the motor from top to bottom.

Piston kit, gasket set, handful of other misc. parts.  Once all those are in, about a day to get everything torn down... if the cylinder has to go out for replate, there's the lead time on that, otherwise just run a hone through it and clean everything up (about a day), then another day to put it all back together.

2012-06-22_21-21-36_469-L.jpg