Sign in to follow this  

octane booster good or not?

Where i live i can get 94 premium pump gas and my (2013 yz250) bike manual say 95 or higher. Is it worth the 10/12 bucks a bottle to get the extra point. Will it gum up my carb or anything like that. Will i notice better performance with higher octane

Where i live i can get 94 premium pump gas and my (2013 yz250) bike manual say 95 or higher. Is it worth the 10/12 bucks a bottle to get the extra point. Will it gum up my carb or anything like that. Will i notice better performance with higher octane

In my experience octane boost does nothing but screw up the reading on your spark plug. Usually if it claims to add 1 point it is actually only add .01 of a point.

Having been in the racing fuel business for a few decades, I would suggest that you stay away from the "octane boosters" on the market.  Having done several dyno tests, VERY few do anything to help.  Most do nothing measurable, some make a massive mess of your fuel system.  

Just my $.02.

• Like 2

Octane booster is usless, fix the problem. For less than 100$ i might add

The stock head is the problem, compression is to high, and squish band is to large and inefficient.

read this

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/492565-yz250-squish-clearance/

do a squish test (it will be .070-.080 inch)

http://www.rb-designs.com/squish-band-test.htm

It needs tobe .045 inch. anything over .050inch isnt ideal. Once you have a measurement, send it to rb designs and for 75$ he fixes the squish and reshapes the dome for pump or race fuel.

It will be the single best mod you do to your bike. It will have more lowend power, more lowend snap, cleaner jetting, less spooge and will run very happy on pump fuel.

• Like 1

octane boosters are an placebo at best, not really recommended for a 2-stroke either, they can mess up lubrication if you aren't careful.

The 95 octane rating stated in the manual is not on the same scale as what's used in North American fuel pumps. Anything over 91 should be fine on a properly set up bike, but as mentioned by Adam, the YZ250 head is poorly designed.

octane boosters are an placebo at best, not really recommended for a 2-stroke either, they can mess up lubrication if you aren't careful.

Thanks guy for the info. Im glad that i havent used it. Dont want to mess up my bike.

just keep in mind about octane ratings, as someone mentioned above, octane can be rated by different scales, mostly With either MON or RON ratings, the US uses MON when labeling pumps (correct me if I'm wrong) while the most of the world uses RON.

an octane rating of 95RON is not the same as 95MON, a type of fuel scoring 95 on the RON scale will show a lower score on a MON scale, so be sure to check if Your manual specifies MON or RON.

read more about octane here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

just keep in mind about octane ratings, as someone mentioned above, octane can be rated by different scales, mostly With either MON or RON ratings, the US uses MON when labeling pumps (correct me if I'm wrong) while the most of the world uses RON.

an octane rating of 95RON is not the same as 95MON, a type of fuel scoring 95 on the RON scale will show a lower score on a MON scale, so be sure to check if Your manual specifies MON or RON.

read more about octane here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

The US uses (RON + MON)/2.

Typically RON is about 8-9 points higher than MON, so averaging them gives 4-5 point lower octane rating than the majority of the world's RON.

Manual calls for 95 RON, which is 91-ish pump gas here in the US.

And another for "octane boost is BS". Unless you are right on the edge, octane boost won't do much for you. Might kick 91 octane pump up to 92.  You are better off modifying the engine to proper clearances as mentioned above, running better gas, or at least mixing fuels.

• Like 1