Sign in to follow this  

New to me '09 450 XC-W

I was chatting about it another thread here, but I did end up picking up the 450.  Really nice bike, 33 hours/501 miles.  Haven't done much with it yet besides for a few minutes of riding, and a good once over (Oil, Filters, Ect.).  It's heavenly in every way thus far compared to my '04 XR250 (Not that my XR wasn't an awesome bike!). 

My favorite part about the bike, considering I haven't had much seat time is the stance.  The power and suspension is obviously top notch compared to what I'm accustomed to, but the stance is what really makes it all come together.  The riding position feels so natural, as if the bike is just waiting for you to tell it what to do.  Its hard to explain, but anyone who has never really been on one of these newer KTM's, or any new bike for that matter, should try it out.

I've done lots of reading on these bikes.  The XC4 motor has it's problems as I'm seeing but I'm just going to live with it.  I'm a little worried about overheating as we do a lot of slow tight nasty single track.  I'm thinking about getting a fan just as a precaution.  Or maybe some aftermarket coolant will be the answer? I'm not sure.

I can hear the cam chain slap a bit when the bike is cold but once it's to operation temp it seems to disappear.  I will likely be installing the manual tensioner this winter.

I was having some problems with the trip meter/speedometer but I got it figured out.  It's a bit tricky to operate.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Can't wait to get this beast on the trail and up the hill!  I'll post up some pictures asap.

Edited by RedBlack

Definitely get the fan. I haven't boiled over since installing it, but it still does run warmer than I would like sometimes. Haven't tried coolant yet but probably next year on that.

Have oil with you and check before each ride. Mine started using at less than 20 hours of pretty easy use. Had dealer put in a new on and started using oil after 15 or so hours. Not happy about that but can live with it for all the other good parts of the bike.

Thank you for the reply snorider.

I've definitely got gears in my head turning about installing the fan.  Has anyone had any luck with radiator guards and the fan? 

Is something like this worth the money? http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/44/54/225/965/10858/40234/Enduro-Engineering-Radiator-Braces-%28Fits-with-Fans%29

I feel as if I need some sort of temperature gauge.

The fan uses a thermo-switch, so it is automatic. I installed a fan earlier this summer and it made a world of difference on the slow technical sections where there isn't enough airflow through the radiator. Most Rad guards mount to the front so they shouldn't interfer with the fan. 

The oil use issue might be related to the crankcase vent tube being routed into the airbox. I never liked that design with any vehicle. Reroute the CCV to atmosphere and see if it helps. will need to plug the airbox hole.

Beta, which fan are you using?  The powerparts fan or an aftermarket fan?

I've been doing my homework and it seems a lot of people gripe that the KTM powerparts fan works well but drains your battery.  I found that dirt tricks makes these: http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/dirttricks/fan_kit.htm which seem real nice, but I'm not sure the rad guards would fit with this fan.

Anyone using a similar setup?

Enduro Engineering seems to make some slick parts too.

Edited by RedBlack

I have the same bike as you. I did a few things to the cooling system. I installed the KTM fan kit, put silicon hoses in, installed the KTM oversized water pump impeller kit, and toped it off with engine ice. I have a trail tech voyager computer installed which has a temp gauge and I rarely see it ever climb above 190-95° when it hits above those temps the fan kicks on and the temp drops right back down.

I also converted my charging system to 100 watt full DC so keeping the battery charged isn't an issue.

Correct jetting plays a big part. Get the JD jet kit, it comes with multiple jets and needles as well  as a chart that lists all the correct changes for elevation.

BRP radiator guards work with the fan and if you saw how beefy they are you wouldn't consider any others.

Don't confuse an overfilled radiator as a bike that is truly overheating. Fill rads per the instructions in the KTM book.

• Like 2

Beta, which fan are you using?  The powerparts fan or an aftermarket fan?

I've been doing my homework and it seems a lot of people gripe that the KTM powerparts fan works well but drains your battery.  I found that dirt tricks makes these: http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/dirttricks/fan_kit.htm which seem real nice, but I'm not sure the rad guards would fit with this fan.

Anyone using a similar setup?

Enduro Engineering seems to make some slick parts too.

Don't waste your money. The Spal fan KTM uses moves a HUGE amount of air versus those. If you're draining the battery then get a regulator from Trailtech and float the ground.

Everybody had good advice in this thread.  :thumbsup:

I have the same bike as you. I did a few things to the cooling system. I installed the KTM fan kit, put silicon hoses in, installed the KTM oversized water pump impeller kit, and toped it off with engine ice. I have a trail tech voyager computer installed which has a temp gauge and I rarely see it ever climb above 190-95° when it hits above those temps the fan kicks on and the temp drops right back down.

I also converted my charging system to 100 watt full DC so keeping the battery charged isn't an issue.

I know this is an old thread, but im going to look at a 2009 450 xcw and its pretty sweet...What do you think of your bike hezzdown....whats the top speed

• Like 1

The 450xcw is a slick bike. Its a little heavy for the tight technical woods singletrack that we hit often but Im liking it.

I wouldn't worry about the top speed. It will blow your ball cap off don't you worry!

Just yesterday I finished the oil pump mod that hodakaguy has in the sticky here, and a high flow ktm improper kit. Got most of the bearings greased and the clutch bled. Still have a few things to button up but its coming along.

I also put the djm cam chain tensioner on a few months ago because that chain slap was annoying. Im very impressed.

From what I hear, the JD jet kit is a must have. I really am not. Big modify everything I can kinda Guy but if its a worthwhile improvement of reliability, Ill do it. My only concern is that Carb - I've rebuilt plenty of carbs but this fcr is really packed in there!

The fcr isn't bad to work on, just make it sterile clean on the outside before you open it and keep the carb cleaner away from the rubber parts and the slide. There is a rubber seal on the slide that can get distorted by cleaner. The jets inside are easy to access. If you're careful you can even get to them by removing only the round plug on the bottom.

Edited by sirthumpalot
  • Like 1

The fcr isn't bad to work on, just make it sterile clean on the outside before you open it and keep the carb cleaner away from the rubber parts and the slide. There is a rubber seal on the slide that can get distorted by cleaner. The jets inside are easy to access. If you're careful you can even get to them by removing only the round plug on the bottom.

Agree, the FCR is one of the easiest carbs there is to work on. The design is simple and straight forward. Yes, it is a tight fit in the 08-10 frames. But like sirthumpalot has said, pull the seat and tank, loosen the air boot clamps, spin the carb in the boots and you can access the jets and needle with the carb still in the bike. Just need to be patient, take your time and not ream on it. Just my opinion but my 09 450 XC-W is a really easy bike to work on overall.

• Like 1

Agree, the FCR is one of the easiest carbs there is to work on. The design is simple and straight forward. Yes, it is a tight fit in the 08-10 frames. But like sirthumpalot has said, pull the seat and tank, loosen the air boot clamps, spin the carb in the boots and you can access the jets and needle with the carb still in the bike. Just need to be patient, take your time and not ream on it. Just my opinion but my 09 450 XC-W is a really easy bike to work on overall.

How does the linkless suspension feel in the dez? Ive heard people complain about it

How does the linkless suspension feel in the dez? Ive heard people complain about it

I haven't had any issues withe PDS in the desert. My front forks and rear shock are with my local suspension guy right now. He is putting a progressive rate spring and race tech cone valve in the Shock and race tech springs and gold valves in the forks. I should have them back and the bike back together by next weekend for some testing/tuning.