Sign in to follow this  

2000 kx 250 first rebuild

hey got a few questions i bought a 2000 kx 250 about two months age rode it three time and blew the bottom end i just finished the total rebuild yesterday rode it for about an hour and ran it on the stand for probably another hour  this morning i checked the oil in the botton end and it was totally black is this normal? when the oil went in it was a clear gold color i went to the dealer and they gave me MAXIMA MTLfluid 80wt. the bike runs fine kicked over the third kick after the rebuild any advise guys?

how did you blow the bottom end?   when the crank goes bad its the bearings and you can hear it.  if it runs what color is the smoke coming out? if its white you blew a crank seal.  and now its time to split the cases,  cuz your motor is burning oil  from the tranny.

A few things come to mind here.

How well did you clean things up when you split the cases?

Were the cases inspected and what did you use to re-assemble them?

Could it be you put a seal in backwards?

Did everything move / rotate freely when assembled?

If you have no reason to suspect an issue with any of the above(except #1) then I’d say drain and refill with new clean oil and see if that’s all that’s required.

the botom end was rebuil once before i bought the bike and a wiseco crank shaft was used and one of the counter weights that are made of plastic decinigrated inside the case and i purchased a tusk case splitter and crank installer off the internet that is w3hat i used to split the case and to pull the cases back together i have since replaced the oil and talked to the mechanics at the local dealer and it looks like it might have been the yamabond 4 that turned it the color it was they told me that i may have just put a little to much on it the bike seems to bee working perfectly now thanks guys i appreciate it

the botom end was rebuil once before i bought the bike and a wiseco crank shaft was used and one of the counter weights that are made of plastic decinigrated inside the case and i purchased a tusk case splitter and crank installer off the internet that is w3hat i used to split the case and to pull the cases back together i have since replaced the oil and talked to the mechanics at the local dealer and it looks like it might have been the yamabond 4 that turned it the color it was they told me that i may have just put a little to much on it the bike seems to bee working perfectly now thanks guys i appreciate it

did it look like this?

IMG_20131006_182941_428_zps97b9b0e2.jpg