Sign in to follow this  

36mm mikuni jet kit

anyone running this carb w a jet kit and 3x3 mod?

if so what r u running for set up?

im in nh and cant get this bike to run right its either to rich or to lean

want to idle or dosnt want to idle

Edited by bcallie2013

Check the o-ring under the float needle seat if the carb is flooding. A dirty pilot jet is often the issue. You need to provide more/better info on what the engine is actually doing

anyone running this carb w a jet kit and 3x3 mod?

if so what r u running for set up?

im in nh and cant get this bike to run right its either to rich or to lean

want to idle or dosnt want to idle

Look on bottom for diff. setups (Mikuni+Exhaust, FCR+Exhaust, etc...)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AorcpqswS8hkdFI4V3dCSjgzbnVUTm1IQXlNam5nUXc&hl=en#gid=46

•  

It should tell you in the jets kits? And is this guy typing in english jeezzz!

the dj kit has very short directions and the settings it gave me made the bike worst filled my oil w gas and fell on its face after 1/4 throttle
  •  

• the dj kit has very short directions and the settings it gave me made the bike worst filled my oil w gas and fell on its face after 1/4 throttle

well whats yout height ? From sea level or sea level and whats the average temp there

where did u get these numbers? How do I find more application's?

That spreadsheet was started by one of the members here. It's simply settings that work for people, anyone can add to the database.

It's good for comparison and maybe a starting point, but in my case I had to educate myself how carbs work, what does what, in order to fine tune my carb...

Try to be as detailed as you can so people will be able to help you, otherwise no one bothers to answer cos they don't know what you have in there...

What type of carb (mikuni or fcr)?

Type of air filter? (stock, k&n, foam, etc...)

Type of exhaust? with bigger header or stock?

Type of jetkit? (jdjetting or dynojet) I think you said you have JDJetting right?

What needle are you using? red or blue?

What slot is the clip in?

Are you using all the spacers and washers on needle per instructions?

What jets you have installed (numbers)

Type of fuel screw

How many turns out on fuel screw

Your average location altitude and possibly temperature

Have you lost the tiny Oring that sits under the top cover?

Did you reconnect the vacuum tube?

Check all these things to make sure then report back...

Also you can post some pics if you're not sure of something...

BTW, I'm no expert, just learned recently on my own carb, but there are people here that know these things inside out.

Good luck!

•  

the dj kit has very short directions and the settings it gave me made the bike worst filled my oil w gas and fell on its face after 1/4 throttle
  •  

If it filled your oil with gas it's not the jet kit, it's the float valve that is leaking gas.

You won't get any help unless you type properly, spell reasonably well, ask your questions clearly and attempt to answer questions that are asked of you.

The help on this site is terrific and you will get help if you follow a few basic steps.

Again, jetting kit CANNOT flood your engine oil with gas.

Edited by shuswap1

DJ jet kit

K/n air filter

Clip position #4

Main jet 134

Stock 22.5 pilot jet

Slip on muzzy exhaust

Sea level temp now 40-60f

Stock head pipe

Stock fuel screw 3.5

3x3 mod

Plug reads rich

Float set to 13mm hight

1/4 throttle and up it would fall on its face

Gas in oil

Also I would have to turn the idle screw all the way in to get it to idle. As I would turn out the idle screw 1/2 turn bike would die

Next I dropped the main jet to 130 clip position 4 bike fired right up. Half throttle it had a flat spot then would pick up at wot.

Plug read rich

Moved clip to position 3 bike ran good no surge at cruise and no flat spot but idled high and wouldn't ideal at stock idle setting air screw is at 2 turn out made no difference turning air screw in or out/2 turn plug read rich

Moved clip to position 2 bike ran real good still had an idle issue plug read lean

What is the part number on the DJ kit you installed?  Since you said you tried a 134 and a 130 I'm going to guess you got the kit (stage 1) intended for rejetting the carb with a stock air box and no 3x3.  The DJ kit with jets for use with a modified air box (stage 2) has jets included that are in larger sizes.  If indeed you have the kit with the smaller jets and you have modified the air box you will likely need to source a 140 main jet or you could use the 142.5 that was in it stock. 

With the chemical brew that is today's gas it is not possible to "read" the plug and determine rich or lean operating conditions. 

and the gas in oil is caused by.....?

A leaking petcock in combination with a leaking seal for the float valve shut off allows fuel to flood the carb and the excess fuel then drains into the head, past the valves, and ultimately ending up in the crank case. 

What is the part number on the DJ kit you installed?  Since you said you tried a 134 and a 130 I'm going to guess you got the kit (stage 1) intended for rejetting the carb with a stock air box and no 3x3.  The DJ kit with jets for use with a modified air box (stage 2) has jets included that are in larger sizes.  If indeed you have the kit with the smaller jets and you have modified the air box you will likely need to source a 140 main jet or you could use the 142.5 that was in it stock. 

With the chemical brew that is today's gas it is not possible to "read" the plug and determine rich or lean operating conditions. 

stage 1 kit petcock new

what I ment by reading the plug is

lean white ground stap

rich black ground strap

also the main jet I replaced broke when removing so im sol on that one

just got the bike and it had been gone threw by multiple people I was told trying to solve the running issue so when I got to it the gas had been sitting in tank and carb for 6 months drained gas tested vac pet cock of van and it would not hold vacuum so bought a new one took apart the carb and cleaned out 4 time w carb clean and shop air (note inside bowl was all green tarnished) blew threw all ports with carb clean and shop air both ways threw all circuits inspected air cut off valve for damage tor holes found to be in good working order. so carb is clean and shiny installed dj jet kit and bike wouldn't run right. as before only problem was a bad surge in cruise speed  

Edited by bcallie2013

When I still had the BSR on mine with the stage 1 kit it was jetted as follows:

140 MJ (I later went to 145 and didn't notice any change)

Clip at the 4th slot down from the top

22.5 PJ and Kientech extended fuel screw 2.75 turns out

Be careful with strong carb cleaners as some will dissolve rubber very quickly, it may be if you used a strong carb cleaner you damaged the oring used in sealing the float valve resulting in a leaking petcock.  I use break cleaner on any carb with rubber parts. 

If you have to go to the shop to get a larger MJ you should also consider a new PJ as the hole is very small in it and is sometimes very difficult to clean properly.