Sign in to follow this  

Fighting fatigue

My friends took me to a riding spot with a little track made there and I noticed as I was riding I could only make it 4-5 laps before I felt really fatigued and had outrageous arm pump, I couldn't really see why I got so fatigued on that particular track or what I was doing wrong, what would cause such fatigue so quickly?

not breathing and the death grip that results.

not breathing and the death grip that results.

I don't tend to have a habit of either of those, I wasn't focusing on breathing though so that could have contributed, could track conditions also contribute? Because this was the worst track I've ever ridden on, ever.

My friends took me to a riding spot with a little track made there and I noticed as I was riding I could only make it 4-5 laps before I felt really fatigued and had outrageous arm pump, I couldn't really see why I got so fatigued on that particular track or what I was doing wrong, what would cause such fatigue so quickly?

I have been out for almost 6 months with injuries (separated shoulder...then broken wrist).  I WISH I could do 5 laps.  I just started riding...and I do one lap on a moto track...and I am just worked.  It is ridiculous how out of shape I got being a couch potatoe...

I don't tend to have a habit of either of those, I wasn't focusing on breathing though so that could have contributed, could track conditions also contribute? Because this was the worst track I've ever ridden on, ever.

In order to give you some good possible reasons I need more info like:

- What kind of shape are you in?

- How often to you ride hard?

- How ruff was the track? 

GS

I have been out for almost 6 months with injuries (separated shoulder...then broken wrist). I WISH I could do 5 laps. I just started riding...and I do one lap on a moto track...and I am just worked. It is ridiculous how out of shape I got being a couch potatoe...

That's not fun, id just keep working at it, only one way to improve

In order to give you some good possible reasons I need more info like:

- What kind of shape are you in?

- How often to you ride hard?

- How ruff was the track?

GS

- I'm in good shape, 5'11" 170 I can't normally make it through the 15 minute practice motos at my local track just fine

-I ride that hard at least once a week, mostly more

- rutted out sandy jagged whoops, sandy berms with a lot of washing out, rutted & uneven jump faces, and then more jagged rutted sandy whoops

- I'm in good shape, 5'11" 170 I can't normally make it through the 15 minute practice motos at my local track just fine

-I ride that hard at least once a week, mostly more

- rutted out sandy jagged whoops, sandy berms with a lot of washing out, rutted & uneven jump faces, and then more jagged rutted sandy whoops

It won't let ne edit but *can haha, don't know where the T came from

Helps to breathe slower, control your breathing. When I focus on that I realize my body is breathing really fast, when I slow it down it tends to help.

Death grip is huge, that sucks the life right out of you.

Ride in a higher gear at lower RPM, might need more clutching but this helps keep your endurance up.

Good suspension, rough tracks take it out of you no matter what, a properly set up bike will help this a lot.

Your own endurance, nothing can change this but exercise (or very very frequent long rides).

It won't let ne edit but *can haha, don't know where the T came from

Oh, when you describe it like that it's because of the track. A track like that can ware you out fast. We had a really rough track in an old construction area. It was short, like the track you describe, and super rough. It even had these long off camber rhyme sections that were more like big whoops but you could jump them, barely. At the time I was in excellent riding shape but this track would kick my ass in 10 minutes. 

Want more free riding tips? go to: http://www.gsmxs.com/category/free-mx-riding-tips

Thsnks for that, ill try and focus on breathing next time, and my suspension feels great, but I may mess with it more next time I'm there see if I can make it feel better, and yeah this was a seriously rough track, it drained all of us

Oh, when you describe it like that it's because of the track. A track like that can ware you out fast. We had a really rough track in an old construction area. It was short, like the track you describe, and super rough. It even had these long off camber rhyme sections that were more like big whoops but you could jump them, barely. At the time I was in excellent riding shape but this track would kick my ass in 10 minutes.

Want more free riding tips? go to: http://www.gsmxs.com/category/free-mx-riding-tips

Yeah this hasd an ultra rough rythm section too, normally the tracks not as bad as it was, and I can ride it for a while, but that day it was just sooooo bad, some sections were like beach sand, thank you for the help

MA tracks are so whooped out, first time I went to one I was like, holy crap, this is a track you gotta be on the throttle everywhere and literally jump over some of those whooped out sections.

Riding rough tracks is an art, its not something you just magically pickup and can be good at. It takes guys years of being forced to ride rough tracks, in order to get the technique down. A lot of people think its just physical fitness, but its not, especially with whooped out sand tracks.

I have a few pieces of advice... The king of sand is a gentlemen named Jeffery Herlings. He races in the european motocross series called MX1, even though he's in the MX2 (250) championship. Do a google search for Jeffery Hearlings and the word "sand" to see what pops up. Just watching him ride is a huge education, because you can see right away that he doesn't ride like we do! heh ;)

Yes, yes, using proper riding technique, berating better, gripping with your knees-not your hands, training harder, riding more (seat time), eating better and saying super hydrated are all basic things. However, for serious MA sand tracks, there is a bit more to the picture then what meets the eye.

MA tracks are so whooped out, first time I went to one I was like, holy crap, this is a track you gotta be on the throttle everywhere and literally jump over some of those whooped out sections.

Riding rough tracks is an art, its not something you just magically pickup and can be good at. It takes guys years of being forced to ride rough tracks, in order to get the technique down. A lot of people think its just physical fitness, but its not, especially with whooped out sand tracks.

I have a few pieces of advice... The king of sand is a gentlemen named Jeffery Herlings. He races in the european motocross series called MX1, even though he's in the MX2 (250) championship. Do a google search for Jeffery Hearlings and the word "sand" to see what pops up. Just watching him ride is a huge education, because you can see right away that he doesn't ride like we do! heh ;)

Yes, yes, using proper riding technique, berating better, gripping with your knees-not your hands, training harder, riding more (seat time), eating better and saying super hydrated are all basic things. However, for serious MA sand tracks, there is a bit more to the picture then what meets the eye.

Yeah this track was the epitome of a whooped out sand MA track, i will google hearlings, I hope I can learn from him, on these MA tracks its like choosing between go fast or last long haha, I was definetly smoking my buds on the track just I couldn't hold out as long, and my local track (the actual one I pay to ride on :p) they do a good job of keeping the whoops away, they have four rollers, those are easy though, and have you ever seen zach osbourne in the sand? He was in moto 4 and him in the sand was crazy

I practice at spots like this every week. Just keep doing it....try to stay on longer and longer. When you are not riding the moto bike then you need to be suffering on the bicycle. Its as simple as that. You have to be an animal when it comes to your cardio fitness....only then will you be able to stay on and develop the moto skills. When you run out of steam its over. Believe it or not it will come pretty quick. My goal is to be able to stay out for 3 30 minute motos.....then fall over:lol:

• Like 1

My goal is to be able to stay out for 3 30 minute motos.....then fall over:lol:

WOW, thats nutz! Yea literally fall over, as in have someone pack your stuff and drive you home! Someday I wish to have that luxury, I usually have to save a lot of energy to pack up and drive home! heh ;)

Indeed. Last week I almost dropped my bike off the back of the truck loading it.

You know how it is....you just blow it all the last moto and struggle pushing the bike up the ramp. I am weak:rolleyes:

You just explained it. Rough track you are not comfortable on leads to bad, tense technique. I'll bet things will go much better the next few times. 

• Like 1

You just explained it. Rough track you are not comfortable on leads to bad, tense technique. I'll bet things will go much better the next few times.

Thanks for the help, I think It was just a combo of those, and I don't know, I don't like riding there, ill probably do real good on my local track next time though :p haha