Painting the DRZ 400SM with Bed-Liner Paint

I searched and couldn't find any good write-ups on painting the DRZ 400SM with Bed Liner Paint, so here you go.  There were a few artcicles with people wondering why you would use bedliner paint, It's Durable, Flexible (Won't Crack), doesnt spot like flat black paint and is very easy to spray and touch up.

First I stripped the bike of all the plastic & the gas tank & sanded everything down with 120 grit for a good base for the Self Etching Primer to stick to.  Clean all the parts with Acetone or paint thinner and let dry, make sure there is no oil, dust etc. on any of the parts.  Its recommended to use 2-3 coats of primer, I sprayed three coats 30 minutes in between in 100F heat, then let cure 24 hours then sprayed 2 more coats and let dry for another 24 hours.  Next I applied 3 coats of Bed Liner 1 hour a part in 100F heat and let cure 3 days, I then repeated 3 more coats and let cure for 4 more days. Shake the Bed Liner can for 2-3 minutes vigerously before using then continue to shake the can every 15-30 seconds between use to keep the paint from bloching. Next I put the bike back together with no fitment issues.

The Self Etching Primer and bed Liner paint I used were from Harbor Freight Tools, I used 1.5 Cans of Iron Armor Self Etching Primer 12oz $4.99 & 2 cans of Iron Armor truck Bed Coating 16.5 OZ Cans $6.99

P1060065.JPG

P1060067.JPG

P1060069.JPG

P1060066.JPG

P1060070.JPG

Ew.

Ew?? haha I like it a lot!

Ew?? haha I like it a lot!

looks like a blackboard.

Different strokes for Different folks. I wonder how durable it really is. Probably holds dirt in all the nooks and crannies.

I would love to right something on it with a chalk!

*write

looks like a blackboard.

For you to be taught a lesson on :D

When i was reading i was thinking to myself... why??? But in the pics it actually looks pretty cool!

When I read the title, I thought to myself, "This guy needs to put the pipe down!". But after seeing the pics, I kind of like the"Stealth fighter" vibe. I always say, if they can't see or hear my dualsport in the woods, I don't exist. Kudos on the Stealth DR!

I always say, if they can't see or hear my dualsport in the woods, I don't exist.

and if I close my eyes no-one can see meeeee......  :p

I like the chalk board look myself !!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

stuffs heavy and fades 

other than that if it doesn't peel  it look alright 

nice application

Actually, I wouldn't mind spraying this on the frame area where my boots touch.....seems like another good gripper spot along with my seat. Am wondering on the heat part of it, can I fire up a propane canister to warm it up, then spray?

Actually, I wouldn't mind spraying this on the frame area where my boots touch.....seems like another good gripper spot along with my seat. Am wondering on the heat part of it, can I fire up a propane canister to warm it up, then spray?

I personally wouldnt do it. Rattle can paint is not as high quality as the real thing. A real bedliner is 2 part paint very high quality. Quality is compromised when its destine for a rattle can so it doesnt harden in the can. Maybe if you went to Rhino liner and had them shoot a few spots with left overs from another job. But I wouldnt do it. especialy with anything from Harbor Frieght. Not trying to hate on the OP's post but Ive painted my fair share of cars and know a few things about paint.

I personally wouldnt do it. Rattle can paint is not as high quality as the real thing. A real bedliner is 2 part paint very high quality. Quality is compromised when its destine for a rattle can so it doesnt harden in the can. Maybe if you went to Rhino liner and had them shoot a few spots with left overs from another job. But I wouldnt do it. especialy with anything from Harbor Frieght. Not trying to hate on the OP's post but Ive painted my fair share of cars and know a few things about paint.

Thanks Dan, good info........ :thumbsup:

I searched and couldn't find any good write-ups on painting the DRZ 400SM with Bed Liner Paint, so here you go.  There were a few artcicles with people wondering why you would use bedliner paint, It's Durable, Flexible (Won't Crack), doesnt spot like flat black paint and is very easy to spray and touch up.

First I stripped the bike of all the plastic & the gas tank & sanded everything down with 120 grit for a good base for the Self Etching Primer to stick to.  Clean all the parts with Acetone or paint thinner and let dry, make sure there is no oil, dust etc. on any of the parts.  Its recommended to use 2-3 coats of primer, I sprayed three coats 30 minutes in between in 100F heat, then let cure 24 hours then sprayed 2 more coats and let dry for another 24 hours.  Next I applied 3 coats of Bed Liner 1 hour a part in 100F heat and let cure 3 days, I then repeated 3 more coats and let cure for 4 more days. Shake the Bed Liner can for 2-3 minutes vigerously before using then continue to shake the can every 15-30 seconds between use to keep the paint from bloching. Next I put the bike back together with no fitment issues.

The Self Etching Primer and bed Liner paint I used were from Harbor Freight Tools, I used 1.5 Cans of Iron Armor Self Etching Primer 12oz $4.99 & 2 cans of Iron Armor truck Bed Coating 16.5 OZ Cans $6.99

let us know how tough and thick it is. might be a good idea on the cases instead of the stainless guards if it's tough enough. 

have you sprayed any on the tail pipe to see if it can stand the heat yet ? 

likely strengthens the numberplates a good bit. 

Would have been interesting to weight the bike before and after... now im not the guy thats saying "o man i want to shave as much weight as i can" i dont even care about the weight really just would have been interesting to know how much heavier it did make it...

Would have been interesting to weight the bike before and after... now im not the guy thats saying "o man i want to shave as much weight as i can" i dont even care about the weight really just would have been interesting to know how much heavier it did make it...

Well I'd say there's no need to weigh the bike:

Weight of cans full of paint - Weight of cans when empty = weight added to bike

You could probably just take a big shit before you ride, and that would make up for it

I did a lot of research and yes this application isn't as good as Line-X or Rhino Liner Etc. But I did the bike for $25 bucks with paint leftover for touch-ups.  Other brands of Aerosol Paints such as Rustoleum etc, suck, this is the only product I found close to Line-X etc.  I ride my bikes hard and drop them often, I am not one to spend hundreds on graphics sponsoring companies for no reason, so I figured I would give this a try. As for weight It's added 2 pounds (maybe), who cares It's like drinking a couple beers before heading out. 

I have done one ride so far with no scratches or nicks even though I was bushwhacking.  I am sure next time I lay her down there will be minor damage, but I will just mask off the area and throw a couple quick coats on it.  Touch-ups with bed liner blend rite in, unlike traditional paints.

Thanks for the complements, and for the haters, whatever! I got red bikes, blue bikes, yellow bikes, a green one and an expensive orange one.  Don't Be BRAND Racist based on COLORS.

Edited by drphatty

Well I'd say there's no need to weigh the bike:

Weight of cans full of paint - Weight of cans when empty = weight added to bike

that won't work IMHO since the solvents/propellant  evaporate

Looking good, I like the matte finish! :) Also, that Factory Effex All-Grip seat cover is totally awesome. I have the same and it keeps me from sliding all over the bike while doing dirt work.