Sign in to follow this  

Drz 400 top speed or not!

Bike has been rebuild recently everything is good worka fine etc etc. so my gearing is 14/41... What means not as good bottom end but better top end yes even so i get to around 56mph it starts to vibrate a little and keeps going to around 70mph then it sounds like your going to hit the limiter but i can squeze another 15mph out of it making it 85mph but the thing shakes like a bitch! And will not get past this mark. Before the rebuild i got 102mph from the stock gearing! So wtf. The jetting is correct ticks over fine. The bottom ebd power is great! Power wheelie in second and hops a little in 3rd what is not right either im confused any help?

Stock sm gearing is15/41 , 14/41 will get you out if the hole, but not so much top end (high speed) .. 15 or 16 up front will give you more top speed but take away some down low.. What was your stock gearing you said you had that got you going faster ..?

• Like 1

Stock gearing for and SM is 15/41.  No doubt you run out of RPM looking for top speed with 14/41 (lower gearing)  Your vibration is not normal.  Balance shaft not timed right, crank not true???  85 with 14/41 sounds about right.

With 14/41, anything above 85mph is gonna work your motor pretty hard..... What final drive were you running before the rebuild ? (I have a feeling you have misunderstood your gearing)

I always fought the stock sm gearing is 15/45! I still have the orginal oem ones what are 15/45 very confused! And everything is good timed correct :)

Put the 15 back on and you should be a happy camper..... I run 14/41 and it is awesome fun for around town but the top end is not so good.

okay :D ill try it fingers crosses dude!
  • Like 1

Just a update. I added the 15 tooth front and wow its made a huge change :D crusing down the motorway at 60 no issues got it to about 97mph :D cheers guys carnt believe one tooth would make such a change

• Like 1

Just a update. I added the 15 tooth front and wow its made a huge change :D crusing down the motorway at 60 no issues got it to about 97mph :D cheers guys carnt believe one tooth would make such a change

ive heard people say 1 tooth in the back is like 3mph. and they say  1 tooth in the front is like 3 in the back. so 1 tooth would be about 9mph. its a close guess but i doubt its perfect...

ive heard people say 1 tooth in the back is like 3mph. and they say 1 tooth in the front is like 3 in the back. so 1 tooth would be about 9mph. its a close guess but i doubt its perfect...

i suppose thats rights

ive ran a couple of diff rear teeth.. 39,40,41..

its weird ppl dont understand the rear tire heights makes alot of difference in gearing..let alone if you have cams also

so get this..

1.i got it with  150.70.17 with 15-41.stock cams... was not good on highway..

2.put on, rear 150.60.17 with 15-39. stock cams it was good, but the 60height tires wear too fast.

changed it up, went to touring tires.. 70 height but with diff sprockets than when i baught it..

3.                150.70.17 and 15-40.stock cams.. geared to 40.but the taller tire made the gearing longer..so now it was longer gears than setup 2.

4.                150.70.17 and 15-40.stage2 cams..geared wayy to high..cams completly stretched out the gear..it would be good for a 50hp bike or something but mines old with 43,000miles..it strains to hard..

5.soon to be150.70.17   15-41.stage2cams... should be comparable to a 15-39 with a 60 height tire

lol thats probably confusing

Edited by 707LAKE

Also if the gearing is too tall and the engine does not have enough power to pull those gears,   you actually lose top speed,  i run stock 15/44 on me S,  i tried 16/44,  it ran great at FWY speeds,  RPM'S were down from stock for sure,  but top speed was another story,  seem it took forever to get there,  and it was less top with the 16/44,  went back to stock 15/44,  gets up to top speed much quicker becuase it is able to rev out.