Restore project. Which one should I buy?

OK guy's. I have a chance to purchase a 84 YZ125 that the frame has just been powder coated and its a complete rolling chassis. It just needs the engine rebuilt. Option #2 01 yz125 that looks good but the motor is shot. So in either case I have to rebuild a engine. So whats your guys opinion on the two bikes. The 84's chassis is mint as well as the plastic. the 01's s in very good shape and does not need replacing either. I am going to use this for a woods bike and possible harescrambles. I already have talked to my engine builder about bottom end power for this type of riding and he said no problem. He has also talked about a possible stroker crank to get more bottom end power. So which bike would be a better woods bike. I am talking chassis only. The 84 has a seat height under 37" and I;m 5'8" so that is a plus to me but I am not sure when you look at suspension's. I know the 01 is a better suspension just not sure if it is that big of a deal for a woods bike?? SO which bike and why??? Thanks All.

2001! Suspension, brakes, ergonomics and weight are all going to be much better on the 01. Something else to consider is that you will find parts for the 01 much easier.  

84 because its cooler. Also the 2001 would hardly count as restoring, more like fixing.

84 because its cooler. Also the 2001 would hardly count as restoring, more like fixing.

+1 about the restoring/fixing. Id say the 01, but thats cause its a bike of my era. whick one do you find cooler?

Have you ever sat on a YZ125?  Or a YZ250?  Both are the same dimensions.  Sit on one and see what you think.  At 5'8", you may not like the height.  I'm 5'9" but apparently have short legs (!) and I'm still trying to get used to it.

I have owned a couple YZ250's years ago. I currently ride a 86 IT200 with a 36.7" seat height also. What I probable should be asking is there much of a difference in handling between the two bikes?? I think restoring a 84 would be pretty cool as you dont see many of those out in the woods. Its kinda like my It200. Every one is familer with the bike and most will come up and tell story's of them self's or buddies who have rode them and cant believe they are still going. That is one of the reasons why I was thinking the 84. On the same token I have not ridden a newer YZ than 87 ever so I have no clue how the suspension and handling is compared between the two bikes. Is it a night and day difference or just a little different??

1984 as a cool Show bike. I would wince every time it was scratched or dinged out bashing around in the woods.

2001 as a rider and/or racer. Perhaps Refresh is more accurate than Restore, but short of the SSS forks, the 2001 qualifies as a modern dirtbike, much more capable than the '84 in nearly every catagory.

I guess it depends on how serious you are about the races.  The '01, especially if you have the forks re-valved for your weight and use would be a hell of a woods weapon.  As has been said, the '84 would attract a lot of attention.  If you want that, and that's certainly OK, do the '84.  I have a couple of old "attention-getters" myself.

Got for the 01 better bike for what your going to use it for more parts for it like if you wanted a larger tank etc. I think your to worried about the seat height i am 5'5 and i don't have an issue with my yz may feel it at first but it will go awiay. i do not cut down my seat either but you could and there is also shortening the subframe.

Got for the 01 better bike for what your going to use it for more parts for it like if you wanted a larger tank etc. I think your to worried about the seat height i am 5'5 and i don't have an issue with my yz may feel it at first but it will go awiay. i do not cut down my seat either but you could and there is also shortening the subframe.

I think I am gong to buy both!! I will fix up the 01 for a woods bike and after that is done I will take my time with a total restore on the 84 for more or less a show piece. From what i have read the hot ticket for the 84 was a 83 top end and pipe. They say the 84 was a way better chassis than the 83 but the 83 was way faster in the motor department.

I have never herd of shorting the sub frame. Can you explain a little more about this?? And yes the height has my a little worried. I like to be able to touch the ground when in the woods for various reasons. I dont see any sense in shorting the travel as that defeats the purpose of having a newer bike IMO.

My 250 was tall for me untill I cut the seat down

Cutting the subframe lowers the rear of the seat some usually all they would do is remove 5 mm off the lower tubes right before the lower mounting bracket. Trade off is it moves the fender closer to the tire they used to do this on rc's bikes.

I think I am gong to buy both!! I will fix up the 01 for a woods bike and after that is done I will take my time with a total restore on the 84 for more or less a show piece. From what i have read the hot ticket for the 84 was a 83 top end and pipe. They say the 84 was a way better chassis than the 83 but the 83 was way faster in the motor department.

I have never herd of shorting the sub frame. Can you explain a little more about this?? And yes the height has my a little worried. I like to be able to touch the ground when in the woods for various reasons. I dont see any sense in shorting the travel as that defeats the purpose of having a newer bike IMO.

now thats logical thinking. The difference between the 83 and 01 is night and day.

now thats logical thinking. The difference between the 83 and 01 is night and day.

And yellow and blue,sorry had to. :thumbsup: